5,605,073 Members 36,506 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External SD card write issue

Tip us?

schalmers
Old
Thanks Meter 48
@jk8260 Just wanted to say thank you. I tried again the platform.xml change this time using FX Explorer like you suggested directly on the tablet without copying the file to my PC and all worked correctly and I can now write to the External SD card.

I also installed Foldermount and can move my game data (Tested with Bard's Tale) to the External SD so now my tablet is perfect and I am no longer limited by the 12GB Internal Storage. It is a shame Google / LG make us go through so much trouble on what otherwise is a great tablet.

jk8260
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalmers View Post
@jk8260 Just wanted to say thank you. I tried again the platform.xml change this time using FX Explorer like you suggested directly on the tablet without copying the file to my PC and all worked correctly and I can now write to the External SD card.

I also installed Foldermount and can move my game data (Tested with Bard's Tale) to the External SD so now my tablet is perfect and I am no longer limited by the 12GB Internal Storage. It is a shame Google / LG make us go through so much trouble on what otherwise is a great tablet.
Excellent, glad I could help and thank you RipperDude for pointing us all in the right direction on this. It is just an awesome tablet I love mine.

kevk60
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Worked for me.

Thank you ripperdude. This fix has enabled me to move apps and tibu backups to my ext. card. Thanks!

pkoper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser00110001 View Post
First time I had a SD card get fried on me. Sandisk 64GB SD fails with write protect. Cannot even format on PC.

Could it be the G Pad is frying cards?
I got my g pad today and took my sd card from my S3 and inserted it. G Pad said the card was empty. Back in the S3 it showed empty aswell. Pc says it is not formatted.
It all works again after formatting, but a bit of a buggar.

gioni mnemonic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoper View Post
I got my g pad today and took my sd card from my S3 and inserted it. G Pad said the card was empty. Back in the S3 it showed empty aswell. Pc says it is not formatted.
It all works again after formatting, but a bit of a buggar.
First of, hi all.
I also got my g pad 2 days ago and tested a 64 gb sd card from samsung, g pad saw the card as unknown size and couldn't access it, although card working just fine in another junk cheap tablet. Switched with a 64 gb from adata and this one works great until yesterday when all of a sudden it gives me the cannot write to sd card error. Had to format the card and now it works, but for how long... who knows. Very strange.

-MX-
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gioni mnemonic View Post
First of, hi all.
I also got my g pad 2 days ago and tested a 64 gb sd card from samsung, g pad saw the card as unknown size and couldn't access it, although card working just fine in another junk cheap tablet. Switched with a 64 gb from adata and this one works great until yesterday when all of a sudden it gives me the cannot write to sd card error. Had to format the card and now it works, but for how long... who knows. Very strange.
Is it formatted as fat32 or exfat? I had problems with a 64gb card that was formatted as exfat, it would work inconsistently in my s4 until I reformatted as fat32. It's been working flawlessly since then. I haven't tried it in the g pad yet so unfortunately I couldn't tell you if it works there. I've been using a 32gb without a problem so far in the g pad tho.

Sent from my AOKP GS4

gioni mnemonic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MX- View Post
Is it formatted as fat32 or exfat? I had problems with a 64gb card that was formatted as exfat, it would work inconsistently in my s4 until I reformatted as fat32. It's been working flawlessly since then. I haven't tried it in the g pad yet so unfortunately I couldn't tell you if it works there. I've been using a 32gb without a problem so far in the g pad tho.

The 64 gb card I'm using now is formatted as exfat. No problems with it so far, except for the 1st minor incident a week ago. Thing is I don't know how it was formatted when I bought it, because the tablet made it exfat.
Only thing I hate is the lack of USB mass storage mode.

gioni mnemonic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did anyone try to use the sd card formatted as ntfs with the g pad? Does the g pad support ntfs? Or it needs to be rooted?

Aarix
Old
(Last edited by Aarix; 22nd February 2014 at 03:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
One problem is the .xml is slighty different but i went ahead and modified it regardless to similiar instructions, now it said google play services stopped, youtube has stopped, es file explorer cant stream. All because I added <group gid=”media_rw” /> and changing it back didnt work either so now I'm restoring and hopefully trying this again. God, this is REALLY annoying to fix a problem that shouldnt even exist.

Edit: Ok, I restored from backup and had to remove <group gid"sdcard_r" /> THAN add the other one. It sseeeeemms to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aarix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]