5,605,835 Members 47,707 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast & Ultramon for dual monitor?

Tip us?

New Daddy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Chromecast & Ultramon for dual monitor?

Will it be possible at some point to use Chromecast as a gateway to use the TV as second independent monitor, rather than a mirror of the laptop/desktop with a browser extension, maybe in conjunction with Ultramon?
I have Ultramon installed in my laptop. When I turn my iPad into a second monitor using an app like AirDisply, Ultramon immediately picks it up as the second monitor and provides all the functionality for a second monitor - position, resolution, task bar, etc.
Can I achieve something similar with Chromecast + Ultramon, if not now in the future?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
Will it be possible at some point to use Chromecast as a gateway to use the TV as second independent monitor, rather than a mirror of the laptop/desktop with a browser extension, maybe in conjunction with Ultramon?
I have Ultramon installed in my laptop. When I turn my iPad into a second monitor using an app like AirDisply, Ultramon immediately picks it up as the second monitor and provides all the functionality for a second monitor - position, resolution, task bar, etc.
Can I achieve something similar with Chromecast + Ultramon, if not now in the future?
No the CCast wouldn't do that since it would be a waste since the CCast connects to the same network the Android device does so why send it to CCast when you could send it to the Device directly.

CCast does however act as a second monitor for Android and other devices...

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Future, maybe, but the 1-2 second lag from having to compress the video (and Chromecast having to decompress it at the other end) would be annoying at best.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

New Daddy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Future, maybe, but the 1-2 second lag from having to compress the video (and Chromecast having to decompress it at the other end) would be annoying at best.
Oh... I never noticed any annoying lag when I use iPad with AirDisplay. I guess iPad has lot more processing power than Chromecast.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
AirPlay is designed for screen mirroring and hence low latency. The current methods of Chromecast desktop mirroring essentially make the desktop a video stream first.
Likely this will change once they're screen mirroring is implemented by devices.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

New Daddy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
AirPlay is designed for screen mirroring and hence low latency. The current methods of Chromecast desktop mirroring essentially make the desktop a video stream first.
Likely this will change once they're screen mirroring is implemented by devices.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
I'm telling you. With AirPlay, there is more than mirroring. You can use the iPad as a second monitor. It works perfectly with Ultramon.

bhiga
Old
(Last edited by bhiga; 23rd December 2013 at 07:41 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm telling you. With AirPlay, there is more than mirroring. You can use the iPad as a second monitor. It works perfectly with Ultramon.
Yes, and screen mirroring/output isn't the core intent of Chromecast, and I'm not sure screen mirroring will ever make it to iOS for Chromecast.

Long story short, we all can want Chromecast to be more than it is and it's growing steadily, but there will be limits based on its core design.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Thinking about it more... I think Google could (and probably is) making the screen mirroring similar to how RemoteX works in Windows - instead of sending a picture of a red box, send a command to draw a red box - much less data and identical result as long as both source and Chromecast share the same drawing language and techniques. Definitely possible for Android-Chromecast, not sure if/how it could be implemented outside of code that Google owns though, including Windows as a source.

Apple has a definite advantage there as they can make sure iOS, AppleTV and MacOS all share a common drawing implementation.

dael4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Problem is, can't use computer when full screen for other tasks

You cannot use the computer screen for anything else when using Chromecast. thios would be a win win