Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][Unofficial/Experimental][Android 4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 for SGS4A (int'l)

Tip us?

snadge
Old
(Last edited by snadge; 18th May 2014 at 02:21 AM.) Reason: issues and roomservice link
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default [ROM][Unofficial/Experimental][Android 4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 for SGS4A (int'l)

Note:

This thread started as a discussion for development of a working CM11.0 / KitKat build for GT-I9295 / S4 Active International. At first, with assistance from a CM dev who wishes to remain unnamed and does not want involvement with this, a build was produced for this device, based on work previously done by LeJay on CM10.2. Unfortunately, I have not been able to contact LeJay, which is the primary motivation for starting this thread. Since then, and in a short space of time, xda user @spegelius, has managed to progress this to a fully functional build, which some users are already using as a daily driver.

Instructions:

1. Install CWM recovery from here
2. Download the latest build Credit: spegelius: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1E&usp=sharing
3. Download CM11.0 gapps from here
4. Boot into recovery by holding the Volume Up button as the phone is booting.
5. Back up your current ROM inside CWM recovery.
6. Flash CyanogenMod ROM to your device using CWM recovery.
7. Flash Google Applications to your device using CWM recovery.
8. Do a wipe data/factory reset from within CWM recovery.
9. Reboot system.

Known Issues:

1. USB tethering doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
2. Report them, I'll try to add confirmed issues here, I may need some prompting.

Build from source:

Please consult this guide for setting up CyanogenMod for compile.
Please use
Code:
Select Code
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0
when you initialize the CyanogenMod repository so you get the source for CM-11.0.
Download roomservice.xml (*Updated* - Thanks spegelius) and put in ~/android/system/.repo/local_manifests/.
Run 'repo sync' and compile with 'brunch jactivelte'. Proprietary files included with roomservice.xml

This is pretty much a word for word ripoff of LeJay's cm 10.2 post. This is where one would say something like, I take no responsibility if your device explodes, catches fire, invades a foreign nation, causes your cat to get run over by a car, etc.

Thanks goes to LeJay for being pretty much the sole reason a thread was created for this device on XDA, and in turn the people he gave thanks to, primarily the CM team. Additional thanks, of course, goes to spegelius, for running with this thread, and creating something that actually works.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to snadge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snadge
Old
(Last edited by snadge; 23rd February 2014 at 03:48 AM.) Reason: todo
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Downloads here:
** TODO **

snadge
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Changelog:
** TODO **

x2pacx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
awesome! I look forward to a stable release
The Following User Says Thank You to x2pacx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spegelius
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Interesting, good to hear there's CM dev helping . I've been playing with the idea of trying to compile CM11 since i got AOSP 4.3 working as daily driver. I'm also using LeJay's work, without it i propably wouldn't even have strated hacking with Android. And i haven't heard from him either, i hope he is okay.
Anyways, my first idea was to try it with same jactiveltexx stuff as cm-10.2 is done and see how far that takes me, but if you have already done it and no display, it's possible that the kenel needs to be updated and newer graphics libs used. Luckily i've done some merging between S4 and S4 Active kernels and i already had a look at CM11 S4 kernel code. There are some changes in the graphics code, so there's a very good possibility to get those merged to Active kernel, to me it looks like S4 and S4 Active have same kernel, except for camera, some gpio stuff and assorted tidbits around the kernel. As for the graphics drivers, i think it should be possible to use libs from S4's CM11 build?

Gotta try this myself later this week
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snadge
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by spegelius View Post
Anyways, my first idea was to try it with same jactiveltexx stuff as cm-10.2 is done and see how far that takes me, but if you have already done it and no display, it's possible that the kenel needs to be updated and newer graphics libs used. Luckily i've done some merging between S4 and S4 Active kernels and i already had a look at CM11 S4 kernel code. There are some changes in the graphics code, so there's a very good possibility to get those merged to Active kernel, to me it looks like S4 and S4 Active have same kernel, except for camera, some gpio stuff and assorted tidbits around the kernel. As for the graphics drivers, i think it should be possible to use libs from S4's CM11 build?

Gotta try this myself later this week
I have tried compiling the stock CM jf common kernel, with s4 active config. SurfaceFlinger fails to initialise EGL libs. I have tried porting LeJay's cm-10.2 active kernel to build on cm11.0, that also fails in the same way. It seems you' are right. The graphics updates for the other s4 devices likely need to be done for active as well, which may require some new props. Jftleatt's props might be worth look at for display props, same cpu/gpu, different lcd panel.. I'm using my phone as a daily, and haven't had much of a chance to test builds.

emersonas
Old
Thanks Meter 5
When big boys does the taking we just wait for candies...

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
Galaxy S2
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S3
Galaxy S4 Active
LG G3

spegelius
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by snadge View Post
I have tried compiling the stock CM jf common kernel, with s4 active config. SurfaceFlinger fails to initialise EGL libs. I have tried porting LeJay's cm-10.2 active kernel to build on cm11.0, that also fails in the same way. It seems you' are right. The graphics updates for the other s4 devices likely need to be done for active as well, which may require some new props. Jftleatt's props might be worth look at for display props, same cpu/gpu, different lcd panel.. I'm using my phone as a daily, and haven't had much of a chance to test builds.
Weel i made a build myself, tweaked the makefiles etc. but there;s a problem: i can't get past the initial text. Something goes wrong about the build and i don't quite know what. I think i'll do a clean repo sync, current source tree is from cm-10.2 and even though repo status says it's clean, i have a feeling something might be wrong with it.

I did some kernel source merging and the build process does build it, so now to get that damn thing to boot...

spegelius
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Some testing done:
  • clean CM11 repo sync, still no go with cm-10.2 jactive kernel or the one with merges from jf kernel i made. No adb connection, last_kmsg: http://pastebin.com/Nj5rStTc
  • using jf kernel and jactive config, with small mods to get it to build, goes a bit further. Screen turns black after the initial Samsung text, adb connection doesn't show up and no last_kmsg available

In he last_kmsg above, it seems that the kernel doesn't mount stuff properly or something?

spegelius
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Finally figured out why i wasn't getting past the initial boot text; a bad formatting in jf-common makefile left almost all of the qcom init files out of the boot.img so no wonder stuff didn't work... teaches me to proofread stuff...

Ok, now that i got that sorted out, i get it to boot. Display stays back, but loking at the logcat, Surfaceflinger doesn't die. So it seems the problem now is that the panel isn't turned on correctly, but otherwise the thing works, maybe. I'm using a mix of blobs from Active and latest jflte CM11 nighly.

Now i need to go to sauna and drink beer ->

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
4.4, cm11, jactiveltexx, kitkat, sgs4a