Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,412 Members 45,259 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What's broken in this situation?

Tip us?

C0ax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] What's broken in this situation?

Recently, I took time to replace the screen on my s3. (Just the Screen not the digitizer). After I attached the newer screen, I turned the phone on, theres sound, vibration, etc. But the display is not shown at all. Is it the digitizer that broke? Is it something else that broke?

P.S While I was removing the cracked screen, i accidentally turned on the phone when i was using the s3 phone kit (which was pretty useless imo). Could this have played a role?

Any help is appreciated.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Since the digitizer and lcd are separate parts, a broken digitizer should not cause a blank screen. I have replaced the digitizer on a couple of Samsung phones and the lcd always displayed an image but would not respond to any touches.

Is it possible the lcd is defective?

C0ax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Since the digitizer and lcd are separate parts, a broken digitizer should not cause a blank screen. I have replaced the digitizer on a couple of Samsung phones and the lcd always displayed an image but would not respond to any touches.

Is it possible the lcd is defective?
Sorry for the late response, I was just able to check the forums recently. The lcd was brand new. How would I be able to tell if it would be defective or not? I'll post pictures if necessary.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ax View Post
Sorry for the late response, I was just able to check the forums recently. The lcd was brand new. How would I be able to tell if it would be defective or not? I'll post pictures if necessary.
If you can see an image on the screen, the LCD is not defective. If you can see an image but it doesn't respond to touches, the digitizer could be defective, the phone's motherboard is defective, there is a bad connection between the digitizer and motherboard, or all three.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

C0ax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
If you can see an image on the screen, the LCD is not defective. If you can see an image but it doesn't respond to touches, the digitizer could be defective, the phone's motherboard is defective, there is a bad connection between the digitizer and motherboard, or all three.
Does that mean, that I need to buy another screen and test it out? I can't really test out the other parts you were talking about because, the screen does not display any image at all.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Since you can't see an image, it could be the LCD. Is there a repair shop where you could askl them to test your LCD?

C0ax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Since you can't see an image, it could be the LCD. Is there a repair shop where you could askl them to test your LCD?
I think there is one nearby. Would I need to pay for it to be tested? I don't know if it's still worth getting my S3 fixed because my relative is going to give his note 3 to me since the S5 is supposed to be revealed soon.

sewermike
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I would double and triple check that all ribbon cables and connectors are 100% properly attached / connected before replacing anything else....

C0ax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewermike View Post
I would double and triple check that all ribbon cables and connectors are 100% properly attached / connected before replacing anything else....
I only replaced the screen and didn't touch anything else. I used the tutorials on youtube for guidance, but sadly it didn't work the way i hoped.