FTC Says Unlimited Data with Throttling Is Not Unlimited

Unlimited data with throttling will no longer count as unlimited. The Federal Trade … more

Scan With Your Camera Using SimplyScan

If you often need to scan documents using your phone’s camera, make sure to check out … more

Hike Messenger Introduces Free VoIP Service

Hike is one of the few instant messengers that broke free from the pack andacquired a massiveuser … more

One Quarter of All Android Users Have Dual-SIM phones

Ever since the dual-SIM phone wasannounced, such devices became quite popular in many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] What's broken in this situation?

OP C0ax

11th January 2014, 05:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Recently, I took time to replace the screen on my s3. (Just the Screen not the digitizer). After I attached the newer screen, I turned the phone on, theres sound, vibration, etc. But the display is not shown at all. Is it the digitizer that broke? Is it something else that broke?

P.S While I was removing the cracked screen, i accidentally turned on the phone when i was using the s3 phone kit (which was pretty useless imo). Could this have played a role?

Any help is appreciated.
11th January 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #2  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,205
 
3,381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Since the digitizer and lcd are separate parts, a broken digitizer should not cause a blank screen. I have replaced the digitizer on a couple of Samsung phones and the lcd always displayed an image but would not respond to any touches.

Is it possible the lcd is defective?
6th February 2014, 07:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

Since the digitizer and lcd are separate parts, a broken digitizer should not cause a blank screen. I have replaced the digitizer on a couple of Samsung phones and the lcd always displayed an image but would not respond to any touches.

Is it possible the lcd is defective?

Sorry for the late response, I was just able to check the forums recently. The lcd was brand new. How would I be able to tell if it would be defective or not? I'll post pictures if necessary.
7th February 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #4  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,205
 
3,381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ax

Sorry for the late response, I was just able to check the forums recently. The lcd was brand new. How would I be able to tell if it would be defective or not? I'll post pictures if necessary.

If you can see an image on the screen, the LCD is not defective. If you can see an image but it doesn't respond to touches, the digitizer could be defective, the phone's motherboard is defective, there is a bad connection between the digitizer and motherboard, or all three.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

If you can see an image on the screen, the LCD is not defective. If you can see an image but it doesn't respond to touches, the digitizer could be defective, the phone's motherboard is defective, there is a bad connection between the digitizer and motherboard, or all three.

Does that mean, that I need to buy another screen and test it out? I can't really test out the other parts you were talking about because, the screen does not display any image at all.
14th February 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #6  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,205
 
3,381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Since you can't see an image, it could be the LCD. Is there a repair shop where you could askl them to test your LCD?
15th February 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

Since you can't see an image, it could be the LCD. Is there a repair shop where you could askl them to test your LCD?

I think there is one nearby. Would I need to pay for it to be tested? I don't know if it's still worth getting my S3 fixed because my relative is going to give his note 3 to me since the S5 is supposed to be revealed soon.
15th February 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #8  
I would double and triple check that all ribbon cables and connectors are 100% properly attached / connected before replacing anything else....
23rd February 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewermike

I would double and triple check that all ribbon cables and connectors are 100% properly attached / connected before replacing anything else....

I only replaced the screen and didn't touch anything else. I used the tutorials on youtube for guidance, but sadly it didn't work the way i hoped.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes