[Q] Stock RUU failed and won't work; basically locked out of phone. Can you help?

Search This thread

SammyMak

Jan 10, 2013
Hello. Never made a thread before and was really hoping I wouldn't have to or would find an answer elsewhere.

Since that didn't work out, here's my problem:

Background: Evo 3d, virgin mobile, unlocked bootloader, s-off, hboot was at 1.50, and I don't remember what the radio was at. I was running CM11 and was quite happy until two days ago when I stopped receiving texts! No clue why, just stopped. Hangouts, etc etc. Called VM and they had no idea why that was happening either. Tried switching roms, reinstalling backups, etc etc. Clean wipes and all. Then I saw someone said they had to [for some reason] reinstall everything stock and then they had messaging back. So that's what I set out to do.

In Between: Used the RUU that I'm fairly certain came with my phone. Everything was good, it erased everything, and "updated system" and signatures. It was almost finished when BAM, popped up with error 152 Image Update Error; right at the very end. Quite disappointing. Tried it multiple times again with the same result. Not sure what to do.

Current: Only screen I can see (looks like shortened bootloader screen) says "***locked***" at the top, hboot 1.57.0000, radio 1.06.00.126, then says openADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0217eMMc-boot

Also tried flashing the unlock_code.bin, and while it took it, it changed nothing. One screen I did see very briefly but cannot replicate said that everything was there except system. Not really sure how to take that or what to do. Any and all help would be helpful. As is it sits on the HTC screen with exclamation points in each corner. When unplugged from usb it gives me that above screen. Removing battering and restarting to bootloader still gives the same screen.

hossman

Dec 1, 2012
Moto G Power
Google Pixel 5a
Through Windows; the RUU exe.

You can try this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4baafpgchgg4ef/ruu-PG86IMG.zip

Put that on the root of your SD card and rename to pg86img.zip
Make sure its the only one there
Boot to boot loader and accept updates

It may reboot itself to bootloader, if it asks to accept again then accept

When its done reboot your phone

Rename or remove the file when done

Hope that helps

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using xda app-developers app

Reactions: SammyMak

SammyMak

Jan 10, 2013
So I have my phone working now. I think it was the RUU.exe that I was using. I downloaded a different one from here http://androidruu.com/Shooter/ after much googling. That finally restored it to original VM stock rom etc. I couldn't use your method of placing the zip onto the root of my SD because despite it being there, it wouldn't go through the normal search for the file. I would remove the battery, put it back in, use the button key combo to try and open to bootloader, and it would go but it would be the page with the status and then it would instantly go back to the black screen with HTC logo.

Thank you for your help though!

Reactions: hossman

SammyMak

Jan 10, 2013
Also I'm not sure how useful exactly this will be for anyone else, but if you find yourself ruu'd and needing better files...

The hboot ENG 1.04 I got from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1817513
ALL other downloads of that hboot did not work AT ALL.

I got the updated radio from here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/648902-radios-hboot-firmware-all-downloads.html
The hboots on that site however are stock and most likely won't run the custom roms as well, if at all, as 1.04.

Last edited:

Gliuk_er

Nov 11, 2013
Bucharest

SammyMak

Jan 10, 2013
Hey, that's my thread. Just curious what you mean by the hboots aren't helpful?

If there is a problem I'm unaware of, I'd be happy to know what it is so I can get it squared away. :)

I must apologize! I seem to have mis stated that; they are helpful with regards to them being the stock hboots. However in my particular case those stock hboots weren't for me. I'll edit that here in a sec, but if I was going back to full stock I'd definitely use your stock VM hboot and it would be helpful in that case. Hope that makes sense, no disrespect meant!

Brian706

Oct 29, 2012
I must apologize! I seem to have mis stated that; they are helpful with regards to them being the stock hboots. However in my particular case those stock hboots weren't for me. I'll edit that here in a sec, but if I was going back to full stock I'd definitely use your stock VM hboot and it would be helpful in that case. Hope that makes sense, no disrespect meant!

Thanks for clarifying that! I see what you meant now.

No worries, I didn't take offense or think you were disrespectful; I just wanted to make sure the downloads were working properly!

And for the record, the stock hboots will work just fine with custom roms. Hboot 1.50 for example will be compatible with the same selection of roms as JuopunutBear 1.50.5050. The difference is that JuopunutBear is patched and will allow for extra fastboot commands and allow them to be run on a locked bootloader.

The eng 1.04 hboot allows for extra fastboot commands that the stock hboot cannot. But you can boot any rom out there on the stock hboots. ;) I've used stock 1.50 forever on this device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Through Windows; the RUU exe.

You can try this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4baafpgchgg4ef/ruu-PG86IMG.zip

Put that on the root of your SD card and rename to pg86img.zip
    Make sure its the only one there
    Boot to boot loader and accept updates

It may reboot itself to bootloader, if it asks to accept again then accept

When its done reboot your phone

Rename or remove the file when done

Hope that helps

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using xda app-developers app
    So I have my phone working now. I think it was the RUU.exe that I was using. I downloaded a different one from here http://androidruu.com/Shooter/ after much googling. That finally restored it to original VM stock rom etc. I couldn't use your method of placing the zip onto the root of my SD because despite it being there, it wouldn't go through the normal search for the file. I would remove the battery, put it back in, use the button key combo to try and open to bootloader, and it would go but it would be the page with the status and then it would instantly go back to the black screen with HTC logo.

Thank you for your help though!