5,604,443 Members 48,335 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help Unbricking HTC One X!

Tip us?

.Jake.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Help Unbricking HTC One X!

XDA community,
Last Friday I decided I wanted to change my rom from the sluggish ICJ (Ice Cold Jelly) 4.2.2 to the AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) Kit Kat for HTC One X.
I made the very nooby mistake of not putting the rom onto my phone before flashing the boot.img, kernel etc. via fastboot, so I was stuck with nothing but a bootloader and CWM Recovery 6.0.4.7 (which would not allow me to mount USB storage!!!)
So with no way to put the rom onto the phone, I was stuck with a phone that could not run the currently installed rom = bricked.

Somewhere amongst all this I wiped the rom that was currently installed altogether, leaving no way to go back to it.
Using fastboot I flashed stock boot.img, recovery.img, and relocked bootloader, and tried 3 different stock RUU's to restore my phone, but then later found out that I cannot use an RUU for ICS when my bootloader is version-main: 3.14.980.27 (JB) and a JB RUU for AUS Optus001 does not exist!
I cannot use nandroid backup to restore my phone because I cannot access the sdcard because it will not mount.

Here are the RUU's I tried, for my International HTC One X (CID: Optus001)

RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_Optus_AU_1.26.980.3_Radio_1. 1204.90.13_release_251942_signed,
RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_Optus_AU_1.28.980.10_Radio_1 .1204.103.14_release_258004_signed,
RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_Optus_AU_1.29.980.11_Radio_1 .1204.105.14_release_260560_signed.

If I start the phone normally it stops at HTC Quietly Brilliant.
I can flash a recovery at any time, but I have tried multiple CWM Recoveries to try to mount USB Storage so I can install a ROM but USB storage would not successfully mount, it would just say sdcard0 shared-unmounted.

If helpful, my bootloader reads:

ENDEAVORU PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.36.0000
CPLD-None
MICROP-None
RADIO-5.1204.162.29
eMMC-bootmode: disbaled
CPU-bootmode : disabled
HW Secure boot: enabled
MODEM PATH : OFF
Nov 16 2012, 18:32:39

I ran 'fastboot getvar version-main' and it came back with

version-main: 3.14.980.27
finished. total time: 0.009s

If someone could point me in the right directions to unbricking my phone, and getting ANY rom working on it again, I would be eternally grateful.
I know I have at least 2 options but I can't seem to figure this out by myself;
1. Find a way to mount USB storage on my phone so I can then install a rom.
2. Downgrade the bootloader so I can install the stock ICS RUU.

Any help at all would be much appreciated as I need my phone working again ASAP.
Thank you.

donkyshot
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Try flashing earlier version of philz touch recovery http://d-h.st/Hue probably driver issue on your pc. Don't forget to fastboot erase cache, and next time you might want to make a nandroid backup before you flash a new rom, right? :P
The Following User Says Thank You to donkyshot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

.Jake.
Old
(Last edited by .Jake.; 23rd February 2014 at 03:46 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkyshot View Post
Try flashing earlier version of philz touch recovery *LINK* probably driver issue on your pc. Don't forget to fastboot erase cache, and next time you might want to make a nandroid backup before you flash a new rom, right? :P
Thank you very much
Philz Touch 5 CWM base version 6.0.3.7 is the only recovery that will successfully mount USB storage, why? Can this be fixed?

Bobbi lim
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jake. View Post
Thank you very much
Philz Touch 5 CWM base version 6.0.3.7 is the only recovery that will successfully mount USB storage, why? Can this be fixed?
Not to be mean but why bother so much about the recovery? Just put your heart into saving your phone before the rest

My Devices:

Galaxy 551 (sold)

HTC Desire (went back to stock)

HTC One X (ViperX 4.0.7)

Google Nexus 7 2013 (Stock)

.Jake.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi lim View Post
Not to be mean but why bother so much about the recovery? Just put your heart into saving your phone before the rest
Sorry, I forgot to mention when I edited the previous post,
after successfully mounting USB storage, I installed CM 10.2 JB.
Works perfectly so far, except for the update, which got me stuck in boot loop, so I had to reinstall via Philz recovery.
Philz recovery works fine, I would just like to fix the problem where I cannot mount USB storage if I change recovery versions.

(Sidenote/question: is it possible to overclock without a custom kernel?)

Mr Hofs
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 7500

DONATE TO ME
Flash this twrp, no need to change recoveries anymore

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvcapmh8ts...-endeavoru.img

It flashes all roms, and has ums.

Overclock on stock kernel is not possible.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]