Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,683 Members 51,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Device internal memory shrinks after every flash?

Tip us?

ZH_Ray
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Device internal memory shrinks after every flash?

I am using Hongkong version of SM-N9005, everything worked just fine earlier, but recently after I flashed stock NB3 the total amount of internal storage I could use cut down to about 28GB. Then I tried XNOTE v10 and official CM11 as well, but the internal memory kept getting smaller and smaller after every flash as I could see it when I attached my phone to my computer. I tried factory reset in the ROM and also wipes in CMW recovery, but neither seems to be working. And I found out that Storage→System memory took up a space about 6.5G.
Does anyone have an idea about this? How should I wipe correctly and get my memory back? Thanks in advance.

NOZX
Old
Thanks Meter 31
When flashing in cwm I usually wipe in mounts and storage first. Research which ones to wipe...as I cant remeber which ones exactly. Things like format cache...format system...format sdcard(but the internal sd card - what it is named depends on which recovery is flashed)...just remeber this will wipe alk ur internal data like game saves, game data, local pictures etcetc...but should clear the excess storage being used.

Example...if you flash CM11 it uses a seperate sub-directory as main storage...and reverting back to stock changes to normal but the CM11 directory remains...something similar to sdcard/0/ ...soooo....if you are on stock now...use a file manager and if you have a folder named '0' ypu can usually delete what's in there...but the folder itself remains unless u change write permissions or formate ur internal storage.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZH_Ray View Post
I am using Hongkong version of SM-N9005, everything worked just fine earlier, but recently after I flashed stock NB3 the total amount of internal storage I could use cut down to about 28GB...
It is not uncommon for stock ROMs released by Samsung to come with a new partitioning scheme to make slightly more space in certain partitions. In this regard the HK N9005 was already known to have a system partition that was smaller than the EU N9005 (which resulted in some of the problems seen when the first XEO 4.4.2 leak was attempted on HK 9005).
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7