5,595,000 Members 38,661 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I have ME7 rooted, want to OTA to MK2 and reroot

Tip us?
 
arnemetis
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default [Q] I have ME7 rooted, want to OTA to MK2 and reroot

Hello everyone, thanks for everyone's hard work. The s4 is my first smartphone and root. I used the exploit on http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2380325 without issue.

I'd like to update before 4.4 is pushed, since it doesn't seem rootable yet. I've read over the saferoot thread and it appears pretty straightforward.

My question is, what should I do to prepare my phone for the update and root to go smoothly? I know I have to unfreeze the update app and the bloat. I will do a full backup in titanium. Do I have to remove things like adaway and greenify? I made maps a system app in titanium to properly greenify it, do I need to revert that?

Thanks for any help!
 
RMACEVO427
Old
#2  
RMACEVO427's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 32
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois

 
DONATE TO ME
When will the new OTA be pushed? I wanna root but I'm on MK2. Is there a way to flash any boot loader yet for mk2 or any version?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Or is it all just safestrap..?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

My bad is there a way to flash a custom recovery not bootloader***

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆
 
Surge1223
Old
#3  
Surge1223's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2100
Posts: 1,327
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Iowa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMACEVO427 View Post
When will the new OTA be pushed? I wanna root but I'm on MK2. Is there a way to flash any boot loader yet for mk2 or any version?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Or is it all just safestrap..?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

My bad is there a way to flash a custom recovery not bootloader***

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆
Have you ever visited these threads before? Heres some quick advice: edit less and read more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
k1mu
Old
#4  
k1mu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1236
Posts: 1,563
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMACEVO427 View Post
When will the new OTA be pushed? I wanna root but I'm on MK2. Is there a way to flash any boot loader yet for mk2 or any version?
I think you can find some answers here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
 
gunnermike
Old
#5  
gunnermike's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 494
Posts: 1,804
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Crestview
Don't EVER take an OTA. I got me S4 before the Nazi's locked the boot loader. I wont take an OTA. You can flash modems, ROM's and kernels separately so there is no reason to take the OTA and reroot. Just flash a ROM. You may have to wait an extra week or so to get the latest version, but that's better than ending up with a locked boot loader.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!






If you like what I do, buy me a Diet Dr Pepper
 
Mistertac
Old
#6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 632
Posts: 1,729
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnermike View Post
Don't EVER take an OTA. I got me S4 before the Nazi's locked the boot loader. I wont take an OTA. You can flash modems, ROM's and kernels separately so there is no reason to take the OTA and reroot. Just flash a ROM. You may have to wait an extra week or so to get the latest version, but that's better than ending up with a locked boot loader.
I knew the Nazis had something to do with it.. The locked bootloaders have creepy little black mustache written all over them.

And actually now that were on it.... Is Hashcode also a Nazi?
S.S. ???
Hmmmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
arnemetis
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Oct 2013
Thanks for the replies. In this case I appear to be more knowledgeable. My phone came with ME7, which means it already has a locked bootloader. I cannot flash custom roms, aside from using maybe safestrap. Given that I'm not interested in running that, my only option for android updates and Samsung app updates is to do an ota.

I'd really like to avoid bricking my phone, as I haven't had much luck searching this topic. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
 
hexitnow
Old
#8  
hexitnow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 305
Posts: 914
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Idaho

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnemetis View Post
Thanks for the replies. In this case I appear to be more knowledgeable. My phone came with ME7, which means it already has a locked bootloader. I cannot flash custom roms, aside from using maybe safestrap. Given that I'm not interested in running that, my only option for android updates and Samsung app updates is to do an ota.

I'd really like to avoid bricking my phone, as I haven't had much luck searching this topic. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
You're easiest option will probably be backing up with titanium, using Odin to flash the newest update you're wanting, then root with saferoot and restore your backup. You won't have to worry about unfreezing anything or removing root. Everything you need is in the development section. There is also a guide in I believe the general section on the dos and don'ts of your phone and what to expect.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
Nvidia Shield Root and More
A little bit of reading goes a long way.
The Following User Says Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
arnemetis
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Oct 2013
Thanks hexitnow. Silly me, I figured my answers would be in the q&a section, not the general one. I had also dismissed odin as useless as I couldn't flag anything custom, now that I researched it I see it can be used to flash a standard update as well. I have located a download for the mk2 update at androidromupdate which I will give a try later. I was going to ask in the development section, but I didn't have enough posts. Guess that's a good thing, keep suckers like me or until we know what we're doing. Thanks again.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Get the AOSP Lock Screen on Your ICS-Powered Samsung Device

Android is the only popular mobile operating system that allows users, … more

Motorola Droid RAZR HD and M to Receive KitKat in a “Few More Weeks”

Verizon and Motorola shocked us all back in November when … more

[APK] YouTube Update to 5.6 Now Lets You Cast Live Video to Your Chromecast

Earlier today, we talked about how Google brought two new apps to … more

[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.2 Now Rolling Out to the AT&T Galaxy S 4 Active

A little under two months ago, AT&T started rolling out … more