XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Carrier Change

Tip us?

psycdoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Carrier Change

Hello I am in process of changing carrier from Verizon to T-Mobile. Currently I have a Galaxy S4 and I was told by the store that I could use the phone on the T-Mobile network. I have a few questions I am hoping the community has the answers to that the store or customer support were no help on.

1.) If I put the phone on the T-Mobile network, when an update is released for the phone, will it get it? If id does get it, does it get the T-Mobile or Verizon update?

2.) Is there a way to switch the ROM on the phone (without rooting) from the Verizon to the T-Mobile rom.

3.) I am overall curious if anyone switched their Verizon phone to T-Mobile and if they experienced any issues.

erasable
Old
Thanks Meter 48
1) probably wouldn't get the update and if so it would be verizons,
2) no.
3) I just switched from Verizon but now have a tmo s4. I'm saving a lot of money and it works out because where I live and work I have excellent coverage.

Update: just reread #3 sorry for the non-answer. Why not just get a tmo s4 and save the worries?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycdoc View Post

2.) Is there a way to switch the ROM on the phone (without rooting) from the Verizon to the T-Mobile rom.
Actually, you CAN switch the ROM on the phone without rooting. Using a custom recovery doesn't require root access. But that's kinda like having your arm amputated so you couldn't get a flu shot in your shoulder...
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button

psycdoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So the phone will work using a T-Mobile ROM? If I were to do that will I now get future ROM updates from T-Mobile or will it still get the Verizon update

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

psycdoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasable View Post
1)

Update: just reread #3 sorry for the non-answer. Why not just get a tmo s4 and save the worries?

I just purchased the Galaxy S4 about 3 weeks ago..

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

erasable
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
Actually, you CAN switch the ROM on the phone without rooting. Using a custom recovery doesn't require root access. But that's kinda like having your arm amputated so you couldn't get a flu shot in your shoulder...
My bad I was thinking of the vzw note 3. Not sure about the vzw s4.