[GUIDE][TOOL]FUU/Firmware HTC One Mini

Search This thread

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
General Information
This Has Been Made To Help Those How Have No Clue What There Doing When Upgrading There Firmware Note And Want A One Click That Mimiks HTC RUU

FUU Definition
Firmware Update Utility

There are a few Firmware flashing threads and lots of zips and good and bad instructions. However, i noticed that many users asked about what they get when they flash what they download and also about how to flash it with S-OFF on various threads. This confusion has occasionally lead to people losing their custom kernels and custom recoveries and/or their SDcard partitions being unintentionally wiped.
I am writing this because i believe in "responsible" sharing. Since the full RUU's aren’t shared but only components (modified as well as unmodified) with often insufficient documentation, which in turn leads to a lot of confusion among the lesser informed users, i will try to catch some of that. I believe that sharing full RUU's would be a lot safer, as only those who actually know enough about it can disassemble them. RUU’s do always reassure users that there is a guaranteed and safe way to go back.

Prerequisites:
All you need is a Windows System with current drivers and maybe HTC Sync Manager installed, it is better to have HTC Sync uninstalled and only the drivers left. Just try if the FUU runs without HTC Sync. On my system, i am always greeted with an “Error 170" if i try to run the FUU on a booted Android - it doesn’t recognize the phone with ADB. This is a typical driver and/or ADB error. Solution here: make sure you have the latest driver suite. FailSafe way to get them is to install HTC Sync Manager (remove it if you don’t like it afterwards but leave the drivers in the sytem!).​

FUU How To

1. [*]Download the firmware you want
    [*]then run the installer
    [*]install it to folder you want to any folder will do
    [*]then run the tool and upgrade or downgrade your firmware

ZIP Flash HowTo

Step-By-Step:
1. If device is booted into Android, reboot into bootloader by running:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

1.a Or else, if your device is in a different state or you just prefer the button method:
Press Power for 15 seconds and hold Vol Down at the same time, when the screen and charging LED go dark immediately release Power but keep holding Vol Down until you see the bootloader screen. Notice: If the device refuses to reboot, you might need to hold it to a bright light with its light sensor. This is a very specific bug in the HTC ONE. The light trick always works.

2. Now place the Firmware_named_something.zip into your adb/fastboot folder

3. Now run:
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

4. Followed by:
Code:
fastboot flash zip Firmware_named_something.zip
(replace "Firmware_named_something.zip" with the name of your zip)

5. Now check the console output. It should approximately look like this:

“flush" certainly means “Flash" ;) so press the arrow up key on your keyboard and enter to run the flash command again without reboot...

Important: the flash process halts at around 75% to 90% on phone screen! This is normal and a safety precaution! The last few percent is the reboot, which is NOT happening automatically, so you get a chance to check the console output before reboot to make sure it is safe to reboot! The bar will only fill up to 100% once you type the following command:

Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Error handling strategies:
IF IT SAYS "FAILED" do not immediately reboot the device If you reboot with a FAIL it could not boot up anymore! It could brick! If no flash is being accepted you have to find out what is causing the malfunction before rebooting your phone. Keep it alive while trying to figure out the error. It might be your cable, your USB ports (dont use hubs! Always straight-to-mainboard connections), it might be USB 3.0 which is not good yet, it might be bad configuration of your ADB and Fastboot... there are many possible sources for flash fails.
The least dangerous FAILED messages are listed below and are safe to reboot:

Safe to reboot / Flash didn't happen Errors (if you encounter one of them, you can just reboot. Nothing changed):

- 12 signature fail (unknown yet but safe to reboot)
- 23 parsing image fail (means something wrong with the image in the zip)
- 32 header error (means the zip couldn’t be read and unzipped properly)
- 41 Wrong Model ID (means its not the right device)
- 42 Wrong Customer ID (wrong CID means you gotta swap cid first as explained below)
- 90 hboot pre-update (means it only flashed hboot and you have to run the process again immediately to flash all other partitions WITHOUT a reboot inbetween).
- 99 UNKOWN (is not yet clear but safe to reboot, might indicate a defunct S-OFF or S-ON)
- 155 you did not lock your bootloader (Needs a relock for S-ON phones that want to update the firmware.)​

In fact, if it aborts before the "(bootloader) start image[hboot] unzipping & flushing..." line it actually didn't write anything and you can probably just reboot. If you see it flashing stuff though (the stages after that line) and then it stops with a FAILED, chances are a little higher that something is now broken. In that case do NOT reboot but do as i said above.

For Error 12 “signature fail" do:
- might indicate that a signed firmware package is required. This would only happen with S-ON phones though.

For Error 23 "parsing image fail" do:
- change image names in the zip to stock image names like “hboot.img" or “radio.img" or whatever failed there....

For Error 32 "header error" do:
- Sorry i haven’t found the exact cause yet and don’t know a definite solution.
- Make sure there is only one . (dot) in the filename, before the extension. fastboot reads anything after the first dot it sees as the extension. If that is not zip, it fails.
- If that doesn’t help, you can also try: make the zip new with recommended settings, re-run the command, check your connections...

For Error 42 "Wrong Customer ID" and: 41 "Wrong Model ID" do:
Code:
fastboot getvar all
Read that output, take note of your CID and MID and then edit the "android-info.txt" in your firmware.zip accordingly (For Wrong MID change the MID in the text, for wrong CID add your CID to the text).

Alternative method for MID and CID errors:
go SuperCID. Do:
Code:
fastboot oem writecid 11111111
You can change back to any desired CID after a successfull firmware flash. Notice: this command only works on S-OFF phones (which you have already of course or else you wouldn't be here).

For “Error 90 hboot pre-update..." do:
- Run the same flash command again which you just ran (press arrow up on your keyboard to get to the previous command in console)
- Don’t reboot in-between! (It wouldn’t brick you but it would just make you run the flash command twice again)
- This might be caused by the newer encrypted RUU's, they need their hboot to be flashed first so it can then decrypt the rest of the ROM.zip. Look at an encrypted ROM.zip from a RUU, you will notice that you can mostly extract the hboot without decrypting the ROM.zip, but you can't extract much else.)

For “Error 99 UNKNOWN" do:
- Check with other zip’s if they work!
- Check if your S-OFF is correct
- Tell me if you find out what’s causing an unknown error here!

For “Error 155 relock bootloader" do:
- run the fastboot command “fastboot oem lock" - only applies to S-ON phones that want to update the firmware. There a relocked bootloader is required. This error won’t show on S-OFF phones.
- Error 155 can also mean that you need SuperCID. On a few occasions this was shown when the RUU/FUU refused to run because of wrong region lock.

For “Error 170 Check USB" do:
- Sometimes shown when running a RUU or FUU. Indicates issues with drivers or ADB/Fastboot binaries. One way to solve is to run the exe with the phone already in Fastboot mode. Else you will have to dig into your windows driver system and try to fix there. Best option: re-install HTC Sync manager. Also, avoid USB 3 ports (the blue ones) - they have a complete new driver stack and that doesn’t work with ADB and Fastboot.​

I always test all of these zips on my own device. But as always, flash at own risk. You're writing to critical parts of your phone. If anything goes wrong along the way, you might be bricked.

FUU Downloads (Windows only)

Update: added Firmware For Sense 5.5 4.3 FUU
Download
MD5: 4cc050c25d2006600dfdbcc186789ef0
This FUU is Stock. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.

Update: added Modifyed Hbbot No Red Text FUU
Download
MD5: 3918b9ca578f6f117a96e39f14873cd2
This FUU is modified. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And And Then Modifyed With No Red Text, So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.

Update: added Firmware For 4.4 KitKat FUU
Download
MD5: 701f1b7c07356e3fd7aaacf2e777d666
This FUU is stock. Contents: Firmware from The HTC OTA So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.***NOTE*** The Boot Has Been Removed Because It May Cause You Some Problems And Result In Having To Reflash Your Rom

Fastboot ZIP Downloads

Update: added Firmware For 4.4 KitKat
Download
MD5: a0a05707fdbbdc7b7b162a7f6d76c4c8
This package is stock. Contents: Firmware from The HTC OTA So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.***NOTE*** The Boot Has Been Removed Because It May Cause You Some Problems And Result In Having To Reflash Your Rom

Update: added Firmware For Sense 5.5 4.3
Download
MD5: 1f9f200cf468dc40ddd3c5415c639823
This package is stock. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.

Update: added Modifyed Hbbot No Red Text
Download
MD5: 2f5467f6fdcc854198a95d6ed7146c7f
This package is modified. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And And Then Modifyed With No Red Text, So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.
Credits
Thank You Sneakyghost For The Tool And The Op
ramjet73 My mentor for HBOOT Modding
tr1gg3r84 - For Testing
vrvr For The OTA Witch I Modify Of off

Disclaimer
You are aware that writing to the security protected partitions increases your risk to lose the device exponentially. You understand and agree that i cannot be held responsible for such or any other damages. The flash process is theoretically safe and tested on various phones at time of posting, however you are the brains behind the wheel and you are solely responsible for the execution of the process. I will not accept any responsibility. The method itself is developed by Google and HTC, i only provide access and information to it and you execute it.

You understand that you should not do it if you are not willing to accept this risk.

XDA:DevDB Information
[GUIDE][TOOL]FUU/Firmware HTC One Mini, a Tool/Utility for the HTC One Mini

Contributors
Flashalot

Version Information
Stable Release Date: 2014-02-23

Created 2014-02-23
Last Updated 2014-02-23

Last edited:

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
coming from stock 4.3 ... tried both methods to update to 4.4.2 ... Both create endless bootloop.

S-OFF, SuperCID ... tried both unlocked and locked bootloader

kabalah89

Feb 26, 2009
Denmark, Århus
i have stock htc firmware - android 4.3, phone is rooted. unlocked and s-off.
what do i do to get back to 100% stock firmware, without root and stock recovery :/

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
i have stock htc firmware - android 4.3, phone is rooted. unlocked and s-off.
what do i do to get back to 100% stock firmware, without root and stock recovery :/

Flash stock firmware and stock ROM
After if you want to go back to s-on run this command
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
Please make sure you are in stock hboot if not you will be in a permanent brick

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Zoeriva

Aug 5, 2011
Oosterhout
OnePlus 9
Hello,

I;ve tried this and got into a bootloop. i don't know what to do now?
The phone is ocked en not S-off
I know i must flash the RUU, but i cannot find a european RUU.
Please help?

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
A little confused

What are the requirements in order to perform a firmware update? Does the device need to be S-off or have super CID?

If I'm only wanting to update my hboot, do I just follow the FUU instruction and ignore the Zip Flash instructions? or do I need both?

Sorry, it's just a little unclear to me.

Thanks!

Nevermind - the answer is yes, you do need to be S-Off and THANK YOU! It worked perfectly!

Last edited:

edimonoarfa

Sep 18, 2009
Jakarta
Realme Narzo 30 5G
What are the requirements in order to perform a firmware update? Does the device need to be S-off or have super CID?

If I'm only wanting to update my hboot, do I just follow the FUU instruction and ignore the Zip Flash instructions? or do I need both?

Sorry, it's just a little unclear to me.

Thanks!

Nevermind - the answer is yes, you do need to be S-Off and THANK YOU! It worked perfectly!

@PuffDaddy_d, can you help me:
1. what method did you use?
2. what firmware did you use to get hboot 2.21 to flash stock 4.4?
3. if you used the 1st method that wipe sdcard, how can you flash the Rom?

pls help, I really want to have stock KitKat on mine. thx.

gramateas

Sep 18, 2009
S-off your device, flash hboot with fastboot command and then you can flash 4.4.2 with adb sideload from twrp recovery

Στάλθηκε από το HTC One mini μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: edimonoarfa

Zoeriva

Aug 5, 2011
Oosterhout
OnePlus 9
Hello, after using this FUU i got into a bootloop. Using fastboot i could install custom recovery, after unlocking the phone via HTCDEV. Now i am running 4.4.2 with S-on and working fine.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda app-developers app

edimonoarfa

Sep 18, 2009
Jakarta
Realme Narzo 30 5G
You can flash modded hboot 2.21
But first you must s-off your device

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2584810

I tried to upgrade my hboot last night and this was what happened.
first I come with :
1. hboot 2.19
2. unlocked bootloader
3. twrp recovery
4. rooted stock 4.3
5. super cid 11111111
6. S-On

so, I tried to make S-off first. I used revone method. when I successfully S-off mine, I entered a bootloop (but when reverted to s-on, the bootloop was gone).

is it safe to continue flash the hboot when I got s-off and bootloop?

thx

Last edited:

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
first I come with :
1. hboot 2.19
2. unlocked bootloader
3. twrp recovery
4. rooted stock 4.3
5. super cid 11111111
6. S-On

so, I tried to make S-off first. I used revone method. when I successfully S-off mine, I entered a bootloop (but when reverted to s-on, the bootloop was gone).

thx

Well you could have as long as your on stock hboot then your OK but if not and your on a modded hboot you could brick

Also I'm looking in to see why every one is getting bootloops on firmware and I will be makeing no red text soon for Kitkat hboot

Reactions: edimonoarfa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    General Information
    This Has Been Made To Help Those How Have No Clue What There Doing When Upgrading There Firmware Note And Want A One Click That Mimiks HTC RUU

FUU Definition
    Firmware Update Utility

There are a few Firmware flashing threads and lots of zips and good and bad instructions. However, i noticed that many users asked about what they get when they flash what they download and also about how to flash it with S-OFF on various threads. This confusion has occasionally lead to people losing their custom kernels and custom recoveries and/or their SDcard partitions being unintentionally wiped.
    I am writing this because i believe in "responsible" sharing. Since the full RUU's aren’t shared but only components (modified as well as unmodified) with often insufficient documentation, which in turn leads to a lot of confusion among the lesser informed users, i will try to catch some of that. I believe that sharing full RUU's would be a lot safer, as only those who actually know enough about it can disassemble them. RUU’s do always reassure users that there is a guaranteed and safe way to go back.

Prerequisites:
    All you need is a Windows System with current drivers and maybe HTC Sync Manager installed, it is better to have HTC Sync uninstalled and only the drivers left. Just try if the FUU runs without HTC Sync. On my system, i am always greeted with an “Error 170" if i try to run the FUU on a booted Android - it doesn’t recognize the phone with ADB. This is a typical driver and/or ADB error. Solution here: make sure you have the latest driver suite. FailSafe way to get them is to install HTC Sync Manager (remove it if you don’t like it afterwards but leave the drivers in the sytem!).​

FUU How To

1. [*]Download the firmware you want
      [*]then run the installer
      [*]install it to folder you want to any folder will do
      [*]then run the tool and upgrade or downgrade your firmware

ZIP Flash HowTo

Step-By-Step:
    1. If device is booted into Android, reboot into bootloader by running:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

1.a Or else, if your device is in a different state or you just prefer the button method:
    Press Power for 15 seconds and hold Vol Down at the same time, when the screen and charging LED go dark immediately release Power but keep holding Vol Down until you see the bootloader screen. Notice: If the device refuses to reboot, you might need to hold it to a bright light with its light sensor. This is a very specific bug in the HTC ONE. The light trick always works.

2. Now place the Firmware_named_something.zip into your adb/fastboot folder

3. Now run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU

4. Followed by:
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip Firmware_named_something.zip
    (replace "Firmware_named_something.zip" with the name of your zip)

5. Now check the console output. It should approximately look like this:

“flush" certainly means “Flash" ;) so press the arrow up key on your keyboard and enter to run the flash command again without reboot...

Important: the flash process halts at around 75% to 90% on phone screen! This is normal and a safety precaution! The last few percent is the reboot, which is NOT happening automatically, so you get a chance to check the console output before reboot to make sure it is safe to reboot! The bar will only fill up to 100% once you type the following command:

Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Error handling strategies:
    IF IT SAYS "FAILED" do not immediately reboot the device If you reboot with a FAIL it could not boot up anymore! It could brick! If no flash is being accepted you have to find out what is causing the malfunction before rebooting your phone. Keep it alive while trying to figure out the error. It might be your cable, your USB ports (dont use hubs! Always straight-to-mainboard connections), it might be USB 3.0 which is not good yet, it might be bad configuration of your ADB and Fastboot... there are many possible sources for flash fails.
    The least dangerous FAILED messages are listed below and are safe to reboot:

Safe to reboot / Flash didn't happen Errors (if you encounter one of them, you can just reboot. Nothing changed):

- 12 signature fail (unknown yet but safe to reboot)
    - 23 parsing image fail (means something wrong with the image in the zip)
    - 32 header error (means the zip couldn’t be read and unzipped properly)
    - 41 Wrong Model ID (means its not the right device)
    - 42 Wrong Customer ID (wrong CID means you gotta swap cid first as explained below)
    - 90 hboot pre-update (means it only flashed hboot and you have to run the process again immediately to flash all other partitions WITHOUT a reboot inbetween).
    - 99 UNKOWN (is not yet clear but safe to reboot, might indicate a defunct S-OFF or S-ON)
    - 155 you did not lock your bootloader (Needs a relock for S-ON phones that want to update the firmware.)​

In fact, if it aborts before the "(bootloader) start image[hboot] unzipping & flushing..." line it actually didn't write anything and you can probably just reboot. If you see it flashing stuff though (the stages after that line) and then it stops with a FAILED, chances are a little higher that something is now broken. In that case do NOT reboot but do as i said above.

For Error 12 “signature fail" do:
    - might indicate that a signed firmware package is required. This would only happen with S-ON phones though.

For Error 23 "parsing image fail" do:
    - change image names in the zip to stock image names like “hboot.img" or “radio.img" or whatever failed there....

For Error 32 "header error" do:
    - Sorry i haven’t found the exact cause yet and don’t know a definite solution.
    - Make sure there is only one . (dot) in the filename, before the extension. fastboot reads anything after the first dot it sees as the extension. If that is not zip, it fails.
    - If that doesn’t help, you can also try: make the zip new with recommended settings, re-run the command, check your connections...

For Error 42 "Wrong Customer ID" and: 41 "Wrong Model ID" do:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all
    Read that output, take note of your CID and MID and then edit the "android-info.txt" in your firmware.zip accordingly (For Wrong MID change the MID in the text, for wrong CID add your CID to the text).

Alternative method for MID and CID errors:
    go SuperCID. Do:
    Code:
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    You can change back to any desired CID after a successfull firmware flash. Notice: this command only works on S-OFF phones (which you have already of course or else you wouldn't be here).

For “Error 90 hboot pre-update..." do:
    - Run the same flash command again which you just ran (press arrow up on your keyboard to get to the previous command in console)
    - Don’t reboot in-between! (It wouldn’t brick you but it would just make you run the flash command twice again)
    - This might be caused by the newer encrypted RUU's, they need their hboot to be flashed first so it can then decrypt the rest of the ROM.zip. Look at an encrypted ROM.zip from a RUU, you will notice that you can mostly extract the hboot without decrypting the ROM.zip, but you can't extract much else.)

For “Error 99 UNKNOWN" do:
    - Check with other zip’s if they work!
    - Check if your S-OFF is correct
    - Tell me if you find out what’s causing an unknown error here!

For “Error 155 relock bootloader" do:
    - run the fastboot command “fastboot oem lock" - only applies to S-ON phones that want to update the firmware. There a relocked bootloader is required. This error won’t show on S-OFF phones.
    - Error 155 can also mean that you need SuperCID. On a few occasions this was shown when the RUU/FUU refused to run because of wrong region lock.

For “Error 170 Check USB" do:
    - Sometimes shown when running a RUU or FUU. Indicates issues with drivers or ADB/Fastboot binaries. One way to solve is to run the exe with the phone already in Fastboot mode. Else you will have to dig into your windows driver system and try to fix there. Best option: re-install HTC Sync manager. Also, avoid USB 3 ports (the blue ones) - they have a complete new driver stack and that doesn’t work with ADB and Fastboot.​

I always test all of these zips on my own device. But as always, flash at own risk. You're writing to critical parts of your phone. If anything goes wrong along the way, you might be bricked.

FUU Downloads (Windows only)

Update: added Firmware For Sense 5.5 4.3 FUU
    Download
    MD5: 4cc050c25d2006600dfdbcc186789ef0
    This FUU is Stock. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.

Update: added Modifyed Hbbot No Red Text FUU
    Download
    MD5: 3918b9ca578f6f117a96e39f14873cd2
    This FUU is modified. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And And Then Modifyed With No Red Text, So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.

Update: added Firmware For 4.4 KitKat FUU
    Download
    MD5: 701f1b7c07356e3fd7aaacf2e777d666
    This FUU is stock. Contents: Firmware from The HTC OTA So You should be good to Go. This package does wipes SDcard.***NOTE*** The Boot Has Been Removed Because It May Cause You Some Problems And Result In Having To Reflash Your Rom

Fastboot ZIP Downloads

Update: added Firmware For 4.4 KitKat
    Download
    MD5: a0a05707fdbbdc7b7b162a7f6d76c4c8
    This package is stock. Contents: Firmware from The HTC OTA So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.***NOTE*** The Boot Has Been Removed Because It May Cause You Some Problems And Result In Having To Reflash Your Rom

Update: added Firmware For Sense 5.5 4.3
    Download
    MD5: 1f9f200cf468dc40ddd3c5415c639823
    This package is stock. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.

Update: added Modifyed Hbbot No Red Text
    Download
    MD5: 2f5467f6fdcc854198a95d6ed7146c7f
    This package is modified. Contents: Firmware from vrvr And And Then Modifyed With No Red Text, So You should be good to Go. This package does Not wipes SDcard.
    Credits
    Thank You Sneakyghost For The Tool And The Op
    ramjet73 My mentor for HBOOT Modding
    tr1gg3r84 - For Testing
    vrvr For The OTA Witch I Modify Of off

Disclaimer
    You are aware that writing to the security protected partitions increases your risk to lose the device exponentially. You understand and agree that i cannot be held responsible for such or any other damages. The flash process is theoretically safe and tested on various phones at time of posting, however you are the brains behind the wheel and you are solely responsible for the execution of the process. I will not accept any responsibility. The method itself is developed by Google and HTC, i only provide access and information to it and you execute it.

You understand that you should not do it if you are not willing to accept this risk.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [GUIDE][TOOL]FUU/Firmware HTC One Mini, a Tool/Utility for the HTC One Mini

Contributors
    Flashalot

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2014-02-23

Created 2014-02-23
    Last Updated 2014-02-23
    Update for 4.4 Firmware has been released enjoy
    S-off your device, flash hboot with fastboot command and then you can flash 4.4.2 with adb sideload from twrp recovery

first I come with :
    1. hboot 2.19
    2. unlocked bootloader
    3. twrp recovery
    4. rooted stock 4.3
    5. super cid 11111111
    6. S-On

thx

Well you could have as long as your on stock hboot then your OK but if not and your on a modded hboot you could brick

Also I'm looking in to see why every one is getting bootloops on firmware and I will be makeing no red text soon for Kitkat hboot

Read the OP mate, theres A list of error handling startegies... just “click to show content” under ZIP Flash How To.

error 155 - you did not lock your bootloader (Needs a relock for S-ON phones that want to update the firmware)