5,603,646 Members 37,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] Direct access to e-MMC to fix bricked KF (HD 8.9 version)

Tip us?

v0id7
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by giderBey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id7 View Post
I'm on it. Luckily I have stock backup.
have you flashed your backed-up boot.img and rescue.img to successfully boot?
My first flash attempt failed because I flashed wrong partition by mistake. Didn't have second chance as one pad got torn off.

Quote:
And how do you extract the partitions from the amazon update .bin file?
I don't think you can extract partition images from the the amazon update .bin file. You can extract boot but not the rest. Best option is to use your own backup. If you don't have one, I believe you can find the original partition images posted somewhere in these forum threads.

Quote:
Do you own KFHD now?
Yes I do! I ordered spare motherboard from eBay and I'm again a happy owner of KFHD89 running Hashcode's CM11.

giderBey
Old
(Last edited by giderBey; 23rd February 2014 at 07:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hello v0id7,

Quote:
Also I'm not very sure I get the exact Vcc soldering point from the picture posted. Even when I zoom it is not very clear where to solder to. I soldered Vcc to the right connection of a very small component (not sure resistor or capacitor) that sits between two relatively larger components above and below. Is this correct?
just to be sure. Have I to solder the two points Vcc and VccQ? or is Vcc enough?
On which PIN must I connect VccQ to? Also to the USB Vcc pin?

Earlier in this context you wrote:

Quote:
Sorry for my previous post. It was my fault incorrectly tweaking CD_SW.
Can you please explain what you mean with CD_SW?
I have now disassemled the KFHD and the motherboard is laying in front of me. But the soldering point for Vcc is realy difficult for me.
This is why I want to be sure before soldering this point. Today I cay prepare the USB-MMC stick and the cables.
But for the motherboard I will wait for your answer. Maybe the Vcc is not needed

On another thread for unbricking the user stunts513 wrote:

Quote:
....Basically I would CD to the directory the uboot is stored to, run
"dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdb2 bs=1” assuming sdb2 is the bootloader partition.
after this i will also flash my own backup images:
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/sdb10
dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/sdb9
dd if=system.img of=/dev/sdb11

I forgot to pull my boot0loader-img to my pc...
But it is saved on the kindle, so when I have access to the eMMC I can mount the user-partition and copy it.
Can you say the parameters for the manual mount command? Or is it just an ext fs which I can mount just like usual?

Have a nice sunday

giderBey

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 23rd February 2014 at 11:11 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
I'll answer part of this that I know offhand, the kindle uses a ext4 filesystem, so it will automount when you plug it in. I wouldn't try flashing the other partitions from dd just because I don't know if they need a bs specified like the bootloader does, I suppose you could try bs=1 on them of you want, but I would personally just fix the bootloader then load the kindle into fastboot to flash them.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

v0id7
Old
(Last edited by v0id7; 24th February 2014 at 04:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by giderBey View Post
Hello v0id7,

just to be sure. Have I to solder the two points Vcc and VccQ? or is Vcc enough?
On which PIN must I connect VccQ to? Also to the USB Vcc pin?
Yes, you need to connect VccQ on the board to Vcc on the USB card reader.

Quote:
Can you please explain what you mean with CD_SW?
CD_SW is a physical switch on the usb reader that is used to detect that a card is inserted. Since there will be no card inserted in the reader, you need to shorten it to GND.

BTW, there is a very good step-by-step guide by kurohyou in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2415870. Although it targets KF2, this part is fully applicable to KFHD89 too.

lejosdehoy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello, i have my sd card ready now, all i need is to solder the cables to the board now, but before that, there are some things i need to know.
1st: since im not very used to linux, can i do this with windows? else, maybe a little step by step
2nd: the vcc on the board, is the right conector of a small resistance (or some other device) ?

thanks, i will upload the results later on =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140331-WA0001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	2662578  

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
There may be a way to do it on windows but I suggest using Linux, its actually a really simple procedure. The only slightly difficult part to figure out is the device path of the emmc, but that's really easy to figure out... You could just boot the Ubuntu live CD, hookup the kindle and search for program on the Ubuntu menu called gparted and look at the drop down list for the drive that's the size of your kindles internal storage, or look for the one with a ton of partitions, some of which are ext4 and jot the /dev/sd* path down and run the dd command mentioned in the tutorial from a terminal. I can explain further if need be. I love Linux....

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lejosdehoy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
There may be a way to do it on windows but I suggest using Linux, its actually a really simple procedure. The only slightly difficult part to figure out is the device path of the emmc, but that's really easy to figure out... You could just boot the Ubuntu live CD, hookup the kindle and search for program on the Ubuntu menu called gparted and look at the drop down list for the drive that's the size of your kindles internal storage, or look for the one with a ton of partitions, some of which are ext4 and jot the /dev/sd* path down and run the dd command mentioned in the tutorial from a terminal. I can explain further if need be. I love Linux....

got it, gonna give it a try today, thank you!

Moor Terces
Old
(Last edited by Moor Terces; 5th April 2014 at 08:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I have now officially successfully used this technique to un-hard brick my Kindle HD 8.9.

Here is what worked for me. I used a micro SD to SD adapter to make the interface as that is all I had, and also you don't have to worry about the card switch. The soldering is a little tricky but doable. By far the hardest is the tiny VCCQ connection.

After successfully getting Ubuntu to see the chip I originally flashed only the u.boot.bin file from the most recent Amazon OS. After putting it back together it didn't work. I took it apart again and then flashed the 2nd partition with the "kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin" found here on the forum with the bs=1 command at the end of the terminal command. I also flashed the recovery partition and the boot partition with .img files I had backed up. I did not use the bs=1 command for these two flashes.

After putting it back together and plugging it in I saw the low battery charge image pop up. After charging a bit the Kindle came back to life! It is now working.

Bottom line, I can confirm that IT WORKS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moor Terces For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Moor Terces
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Just an FYI just in case it helps, I hard bricked my Kindle by having too many terminal windows open and accidently using the first gen Kindle Fire Utility. Lesson learned on leaving too many windows open.

bournezhang
Old
Thanks Meter 3
could you show more detail steps to us???

Tags
emmc, hard-bricked, kindle fire 8.9, repair, soldering