Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat coming to SGS3 - confirmed!

Search This thread

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
WOW, ANOTHER TOY TO PLAY WITH. OH MY GOD. WHEN DO WE GET IT? WHEN DO WE GET IT? HURRY UP AT&T. I CANNOT WAIT. OH MY GOD! WHEN DO WE GET IT? WHEN DO WE GET IT?

Look, if we ever get this update, can at least some of you hold off for a little bit and see what the update does to some of the other phones first (does it lock the bootloader, does it make battery life worse, what apps might have issues, is there a way to go back in case something goes wrong) and not make the same mistake that so many of us make with these phones by rushing to these toys, oops, updates impatiently the very first day that they come out. I call these updates toys because with the exception of the phones that have major issues, all these updates are around here is just something new to play with.

BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO, SHORTYDOGGG?

Forget it. I see that I won't get through to everybody because we are all different. Carry on everyone.

Don't know for sure but it sounds like you upgraded to 4.3 and regret it. If that's the case, it's nobody's fault but your own. Nobody forces anyone to flash anything here. It's up to YOU to do your research before flashing anything on YOUR device. People rush to play with these so called toys because it's a hobby of theirs, and without them, we wouldn't have some of the great things we do have for our devices. Don't get upset because people want to play with these toys, be grateful. Just make sure you take responsibility for your device. Because it's nobody else's responsibility but your own.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: xhozt

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
Don't know for sure but it sounds like you upgraded to 4.3 and regret it. If that's the case, it's nobody's fault but your own. Nobody forces anyone to flash anything here. It's up to YOU to do your research before flashing anything on YOUR device. People rush to play with these so called toys because it's a hobby of theirs, and without them, we wouldn't have some of the great things we do have for our devices. Don't get upset because people want to play with these toys, be grateful. Just make sure you take responsibility for your device. Because it's nobody else's responsibility but your own.

No, I'm still on 4.1.2, and don't regret it one bit.

You misunderstood the post. The capital letters represent the people (not including the devs) who run to the toys first and then research later, while the small letters represent myself. Look at it again.

All it's doing (if you read correctly between the lines) is asking more of the people to take your time and do some research first, see how it's effecting others, before jumping too quickly to play with these new toys, sorry updates, the first day (and then finding out that the bootloader is locked for example), like so many of us will do around here on this phone and others. Don't repeat the same mistake on the first day of an update that happens on nearly every phone, including this one when new toy, update, comes out. But unfortunately, it's still going to happen.

OH FORGET YOU SHORTYDOGGG. I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW LONG IT'S GOING TO TAKE FOR MY NEW TOY TO ARRIVE. I NEED SOMETHING NEW ON MY PHONE TO PLAY WITH. I'LL WORRY ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT THE BOOTLOADER IS LOCKED, OR MY FAVORITE APPS CRASHING AFTER I GET THAT UPDATE ON MY PHONE. YEA, I COULD WAIT FOR THE DEVS OR AT LEAST ONE OF THE OTHER USERS TO TRY IT FIRST AND SEE THE PROS AND CONS, BUT SKIP THAT, HOW LONG BEFORE THE UPDATE?

Last edited:

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
No, I'm still on 4.1.2, and don't regret it one bit.

You misunderstood the post. The capital letters represent the people (not including the devs) who run to the toys first and then research later, while the small letters represent myself. All it's doing (if you read correctly between the lines) is asking more of the people to take your time and do some research first, see how it's effecting others, before jumping too quickly to play with these new toys, sorry updates, the first day (and then finding out that the bootloader is locked for example), like so many of us will do around here on this phone and others. Don't repeat the same mistake on the first day of an update that happens on nearly every phone, including this one when new toy, update, comes out. But unfortunately, it's still going to happen.

Gotcha and I couldn't agree more

xFallacy

Jan 24, 2014
I like all of you was happy to hear the news. However, with kitkat comes a new way (sounds not good for people who like to move items to removable sd cards) for us to manage our files. Im still a little confused on exactly what this means, but I guess time will tell.

androidheadlines. com/ 2014/ 02/ kit-kat-causes-google-shift-attitude-towards-sd-cards .html

Has there been any discussion about this?

winosxbuntu

Apr 30, 2013
LA
KitKat is not the new Jelly Bean, its Android getting refined and close as ever to the original Android motto(or whatever yu wanna call it) clean, fast, more secure, just works on every phone(512mb of ram) to be exact ........point is

4.4 is Android 2.0 (in my opinion) all the features rolled upto one, secure as ever, minimalistic/clean and just what we need from Google to Samsung to keep it intact from going rogue with their "Add-ons" (not to be confused with the "Anti-samsung movement that has being going on, on every android site")
ilove Samsung, am not entitled to one company or brand and am opened to anything that comes along so keep the trolls off from XDA. :laugh:

talkingmonkeys

Inactive Recognized RC / RT
May 15, 2013
Awaiting new locked knox bootloader. yay.

I'd give it at least 2-3 weeks after it comes out to touch it unless you're a developer. Just to avoid any issues like what came up with the 4.3 ota because since we still have nothing but the ota its pretty doubtful anything will be different with this,

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
IMO Samsung is ruining Android from a custom development point of view. This will be my last Samsung phone until they go back to what made them successful.

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
IMO Samsung is ruining Android from a custom development point of view. This will be my last Samsung phone until they go back to what made them successful.

The ability of custom development is not what made them successful (just the one of the phones of choice for development). With the volume they sell and considering how small the custom dev and user communities are in comparison, it points elsewhere. The features (motion, awesome camera app, etc) have been the main selling points.

Sent from my awesome phone.

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Originally Posted by bdithug<br />
IMO Samsung is ruining Android from a custom development point of view. This will be my last Samsung phone until they go back to what made them successful. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
The ability of custom development is not what made them successful (just the one of the phones of choice for development). With the volume they sell and considering how small the custom dev and user communities are in comparison, it points elsewhere. The features (motion, awesome camera app, etc) have been the main selling points. <br />
<br />

I know custom development isn't what made them successful. But it certainly helped. I know many people who came from iPhone to the early samsung phones because of it. Innovation and doing things that nobody else did with top line specs made them successful. Now they just copy ideas from all the other phone manufacturers. It's all opinion in the end tho, and I hate where samsung is going.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
I know custom development isn't what made them successful. But it certainly helped. I know many people who came from iPhone to the early samsung phones because of it. Innovation and doing things that nobody else did with top line specs made them successful. Now they just copy ideas from all the other phone manufacturers. It's all opinion in the end tho, and I hate where samsung is going.

It's a double edged sword sadly, I would argue that their stance on development didn't really help them too much at all but that's a different argument.

I like but dislike where Samsung is going. Knox is a brilliant security platform that is amazing for the corporate market, I love it in that respect so our admins that have smart phones has their data safe.(Media would do anything to get some of that data here too!)

On the other hand, Knox proves to be a wall in custom development. I love flashing roms on my phone, on my s3 I usually stay on one build until it needs updated, but on my backup phone my Evo 3d, I flash something new to it every day almost!

When it comes down to it though, I think I'll have to go with Knox over development though. There are plenty of other devices with good development out there, and this serves good for the company I work for.

I also talked my boss into upgrading my work s3 to the s5 when it comes out..:D

SuperMidgetProductions

Oct 8, 2013
It's a double edged sword sadly, I would argue that their stance on development didn't really help them too much at all but that's a different argument.

I like but dislike where Samsung is going. Knox is a brilliant security platform that is amazing for the corporate market, I love it in that respect so our admins that have smart phones has their data safe.(Media would do anything to get some of that data here too!)

On the other hand, Knox proves to be a wall in custom development. I love flashing roms on my phone, on my s3 I usually stay on one build until it needs updated, but on my backup phone my Evo 3d, I flash something new to it every day almost!

When it comes down to it though, I think I'll have to go with Knox over development though. There are plenty of other devices with good development out there, and this serves good for the company I work for.

I also talked my boss into upgrading my work s3 to the s5 when it comes out..:D

I can agree with alot of that but where they messed up was not making knox optional. For a very long time a feel end user paid for a piece of hardware to use as they wish. Custom roms and software arevin my opinion the best part of android. I can setup any configuration i want that suits me and run with it. To cripple what i once considered one of the best lines of phones by handcuffing the user is a poor move.

After many years of only using samsung phones i believe this S3 will be my last one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

lthary

Jul 28, 2012
Ok! Samsung phone remains one of the best . Is not entirely Samsung fault when is coming to locking dawn the Galaxy, I think a big role is playing ATT and others. If you go in Europe or Asia the samsung phone are unlock and the developers can take full advantage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
Ok! Samsung phone remains one of the best . Is not entirely Samsung fault when is coming to locking dawn the Galaxy, I think a big role is playing ATT and others. If you go in Europe or Asia the samsung phone are unlock and the developers can take full advantage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

A lot of the reason for Knox is for business. With BB pretty much finished, Samsung is merely trying to capitalize on business sales. The bootloader lockdown is something that can pretty much be blamed to the carriers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of today At&t is rolling out 4.4.2 (KitKat) for galaxy S4 so S3 should be very soon...
    Cool news today from Samsung! :victory:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/02/18/samsung-outlines-kitkat-plans-for-existing-devices/

Of course, this is subject to carrier's approval...
    I like all of you was happy to hear the news. However, with kitkat comes a new way (sounds not good for people who like to move items to removable sd cards) for us to manage our files. Im still a little confused on exactly what this means, but I guess time will tell.
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/02/kit-kat-causes-google-shift-attitude-towards-sd-cards.html

That's from Samsung Poland regarding the international i9300 version.
    Pretty sure the international i9300 will get the 4.4.2 update elsewhere in Europe.

And unless Samsung USA backtracks on its commitment to bring Android 4.4.2 to the North American SGS3, I'm confident we'll see it.
    WOW, ANOTHER TOY TO PLAY WITH. OH MY GOD. WHEN DO WE GET IT? WHEN DO WE GET IT? HURRY UP AT&T. I CANNOT WAIT. OH MY GOD! WHEN DO WE GET IT? WHEN DO WE GET IT?

Look, if we ever get this update, can at least some of you hold off for a little bit and see what the update does to some of the other phones first (does it lock the bootloader, does it make battery life worse, what apps might have issues, is there a way to go back in case something goes wrong) and not make the same mistake that so many of us make with these phones by rushing to these toys, oops, updates impatiently the very first day that they come out. I call these updates toys because with the exception of the phones that have major issues, all these updates are around here is just something new to play with.

BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO, SHORTYDOGGG?

Forget it. I see that I won't get through to everybody because we are all different. Carry on everyone.