Difference between ART and dalvik runtime on KitKat rom

Tip us?

Shashank.sonth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Raziel666 View Post
Stop giving false information!!! There's no case where using ART has bricked one's ROM (if that's even possible!).

There's no risk bricking your device by enabling ART. Sure some apps might not work properly, but the majority will work ok. You can always try ART, see what you think and if you don't like the results, you can revert back to Dalvik. Keep in mind that if you have Xposed framework installed and you try to change your runtime to ART, you might end up with a bootloop. So make sure you have a backup, just in case.

But, I repeat, it isn't possible to brick your device by changing to ART.
what is xposed framework? how do I know if I've installed it?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

_Raziel666
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.sonth View Post
Could anyone tell me, if the device is bricked or struck on bootloop will I still be able to go to recovery mode?

If your device is on a bootloop, you will be able to go to recovery mode. In case of a brick, in most cases you won't be able to turn the phone, let alone booting to recovery mode. But enabling ART has nothing to do with bricking the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.sonth View Post
what is xposed framework? how do I know if I've installed it?!

This is Xposed Framework: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1574401

You'll know if you've installed it, by checking if there's an app called Xposed Installer.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Raziel666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bleggy
Old
(Last edited by bleggy; 6th February 2014 at 03:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 56
I'm running art out of curiosity. everything is working fine, no problems at all. but honestly, I cant tell any difference between art & dalvik in terms of speed/battery life/whatever. the only noticeable difference is the longer boot time with art. I do not keep track of ram usage or do any speed tests or details like that. Maybe there's a difference on that level, but it's not perceptible as a user, imho.

so, at this time, is it worth switching over? eh, not really. doesnt matter much.

Shashank.sonth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Yeah even I switched to ART but didn't notice any changes except that all the apps take much space than dalvik n I also noticed my battery was draining sooner so switched back to dalvik, it's better for now until the ART is fully developed on our device

honda kos
Old
Thanks Meter 1
For me, art don't think that makes so much difference. It's experimental and we have to wait for next major android release.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tim-13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
How do i know if I'm really using art? I've checked it and let it boot. Now when I go in the settings it says "using dalvik".

Sent from my Xperia T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391972687334.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2569390  

bleggy
Old
Thanks Meter 56
are you using xposed?

tim-13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleggy View Post
are you using xposed?
Yes,so i think I'm on dalvik? Xposed shouldn't work when on art.

Sent from my Xperia T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FyendFyre
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Xposed automatically kicks you out of art runtime whenever you try to get into it. so your options are:
1.keep xposed active and forget about art until the developer works on compatibility (which should be soon)
2.or deactivate (or uninstall) xposed and use art runtime.
You should weigh the pros and cons and see which is best. btw no bricks will happen if you choose to use art.