[Q] Amazon crawling, ridiculously slow

Tip us?

batjon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Amazon crawling, ridiculously slow

Hi,
Normally I would wipe and reflash a Rom but I'm currently backpacking with my girlfriend so have no access to a computwr to sort the issue properly..

She has a kindle fire hd7 running CM10.1. Worked flawlessly for a year and all of a sudden it has started going indescribably slow. Am I safe to do a factory data reset from within android? I've wiped cache, dalvik cache and it hasn't worked. This is my last option really but don't want to brick it so she can't use it for another 6 months! Just a bit worried something might break due to 2nd bootloader.

Could someone try the factory data reset inside android and let me know it will work.

A thousand thank yous!

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 500

DONATE TO ME
I would upgrade it to cm 11 while your at it, because in cm 10.2 they added something that helps with the device slowing down, it has to do with cleaning out the internal storage where how should I put it, its kinda like writing 0's over data that was "deleted" but not fully so by doing what it dies it speeds up write times, also cm 11 uses less ram from what I heard. Other things to suggest are make sure there's not a lot of background processes running. I keep mine to a minimal, I'm still on cm 10.1 btw. Just make sure you have the latest twrp installed if you attempt to flash cm 11, and always make a backup in twrp first just in case.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

batjon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind.

The kindle is so slow at the moment though I literally can't even get on the Internet to download newer version. Would the factory data reset work inside of android? If so I should be able to download upgrade afterwards. But in no circumstances can I brick it while we're away.

Thanks again

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 500

DONATE TO ME
I have never tried a factory reset from android, I would just do it from twrp personally. Also thought I'd mention since I forgot, I haven't tested this on cm, but last time my sdcard/internal storage had less than a GB free on amazon os, I was slowing down pretty bad too. Feel free to factory reset from inside of twrp, it shouldnt do anything harmful, also might wipe cache and dalvik cache while your at it. I would definitely make a backup though before updating purely because some people have had selinux issues where they have had to wipe internal storage to get it to flash, and since that would destroy the rom and you are without a PC that would suck, because by the time you find this out you would have wiped your os already.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

batjon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the advice. I'll try a factory data reset inside twrp when I'm feeling confident, hopefully that'll do the trick. I'll update you when I'm allowed to do it!

On a side note, I had previously deleted cache and dalvik cache to try and remedy the issue but to no affect