Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 40,609 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC one or not?

Tip us?

screaming01l
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default HTC one or not?

thinking of going from an S3 to an HTC one on Verizon. The only thing im worried about, which I actually use is Wifi tether. Is the HTC a better phone than an S3? Pros and cons?

Crawshayi
Old
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming01l View Post
thinking of going from an S3 to an HTC one on Verizon. The only thing im worried about, which I actually use is Wifi tether. Is the HTC a better phone than an S3? Pros and cons?
If you root it you can run Wifi tether just fine. Is it a better phone than the S3? Of course. Those phones are from different generations. The One would be best compared with the S4, not the S3. I came from the S4 and love the One, but the S4 has some major advantages to the One. It really depends on your needs...
Verizon HTC One
rom/Stock 4.4.2
kernel/ElementalX

screaming01l
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawshayi View Post
If you root it you can run Wifi tether just fine. Is it a better phone than the S3? Of course. Those phones are from different generations. The One would be best compared with the S4, not the S3. I came from the S4 and love the One, but the S4 has some major advantages to the One. It really depends on your needs...
I have an S4 with Sprint for work and an S3 for myself, Both 4g lte, but the sprint network is pretty pathetic vs Verizon and at time I tether my s4 and my table Galaxy tab or not, or whatever it is LOL, non phone tablet

My Verizon line is still under the unlimited So ill be buying a used Htc if I go that route.

tylerlawhon
Old
Thanks Meter 1005

DONATE TO ME
I love the HTC build quality better

Sent from my HTC6500LVWBLU using Tapatalk 4

If I've helped, please hit the thanks button

Dark Jedi
Old
Thanks Meter 575
There is no root for 4.4 and above. So if you get a HTC one with 4.4 or 4.4.2 there is no root method as of yet. Plus it looks like there is a m8 coming out so may want to wait for a more current phone and not last years model. Not saying there's nothing wrong with the one as I love it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 921

DONATE TO ME
The only down side that kind of bugs me is the fact that the battery is not removable, and there is no sdcard slot. Other than that i love it. I just got a second One yesterday for my wife, and it came still on jb. Had it unlocked, s-off, and rooted in about five minutes. One edit of a system file, and the native tether app works fine.
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET

TheAppleAndroidGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming01l View Post
I might wait, they're supposed to be announcing the new Galaxy S5 and HTC M8 pretty soon I believe. Unless you want to get a cheaper phone and go with the One I suppose. If I were you I'd wait a bit longer though.

yoshway
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Yeah I would wait as well... that way you can either get the new One or S5 or get the old one for super cheap. HTC one is a great phone tho, by far my favorite phone yet.

OldeWilly
Old
Thanks Meter 0
HTC One of course!

Boom sound, Awesome Dev's, 'enough said.