Troubleshooting Custom ROM installation issues
We all love Custom ROMs. Proof of brilliance of Developers on XDA. Many people don't know the correct way of flashing ROM and face various errors during or after ROM flashing. Even most advanced users can face such errors and need to troubleshoot their device.
Since I have been reading a whole lot of such issues here I decided to open a thread to troubleshoot such issues with help of everybody here. So lets get started.......
Before we start
I am trying to help you with best I can (with good experience) and shall not be responsible for any damage you do to your device.
Before flashing anything to your device read, read and read a lot about your device in your device forum especially about
How to recover device from Soft-brick
Next download most recommended Stock firmware for your device to Computer.
Most important thing here is Bootloader (although most of the times you don't need to touch it at all). This thing can Brick your device . Be very very very cautious about flashing it. Don't if it is not absolutely necessary.
How to flash a Custom ROM
- If you are a new comer (Welcome)
1. Download and install Samsung USB drivers
to your PC. Reboot. Connect your phone and check your phone is recognized.
2. Download ODIN 3.09
3. Download PhilZ Recovery 5.15
(Most recommended Recovery right now)
4. Open ODIN. Put Recovery tar.md5 file in PDA tab. Only "F.Reset" will be TICKED and nothing else.
5. Switch Off phone.
6. Put Phone into download Mode by pressing and holding "Vol down + Center (Home) key + Power On"
7. Now connect phone to PC. It will install drivers for your phone. In ODIN it will show connected as Yellow Box with some number.
8. Hit START.
9. After few seconds it will show PASS.
10. Remove your device.
11. Remove battery from phone. Re-insert battery.
12. Now press and hold "Vol Up + Centre (Home) key + Power On"
. You will enter in Recovery. Congrats
13. Now Reboot System. If it asks if you want to disable Recovery Flash, hit Yes (otherwise on next boot Stock Recovery will come back)
- if you already have Custom Recovery
1. Place the ROM that you want to flash on SDCard (External is recommended)
2. Boot into Recovery
3. a) If you have PhilZ recovery
- Go to Wipe Data/Factory reset
- Clean to install new ROM. Thats it.
b) If you are on TWRP or CWM
- Format all these : /system /data /cache /preload /dalvik-cache
4. Flash the ROM
5. Don't reboot. Clear cache and dalvik cache and then reboot. (not necessary but recommended)
If you need to flash some MOD or OTA update after ROM flashing then
1. Flash the ROM after data wipe
2. Don't reboot to ROM
3. Reboot back to Recovery
4. Flash MOD or Updates
5. Clear Cache and Dalvik cache
6. Reboot System (ROM)
Enjoy the Brilliance of Awesome Developers at XDA