Troubleshooting Custom ROM installation issues

Tip us?

silentvisitor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 461
Default Troubleshooting Custom ROM installation issues

Hello friends,
We all love Custom ROMs. Proof of brilliance of Developers on XDA. Many people don't know the correct way of flashing ROM and face various errors during or after ROM flashing. Even most advanced users can face such errors and need to troubleshoot their device.
Since I have been reading a whole lot of such issues here I decided to open a thread to troubleshoot such issues with help of everybody here. So lets get started.......
Before we start
I am trying to help you with best I can (with good experience) and shall not be responsible for any damage you do to your device.

Before flashing anything to your device read, read and read a lot about your device in your device forum especially about
How to recover device from Soft-brick
Bootloaders
Recoveries

Next download most recommended Stock firmware for your device to Computer.
Most important thing here is Bootloader (although most of the times you don't need to touch it at all). This thing can Brick your device . Be very very very cautious about flashing it. Don't if it is not absolutely necessary.

How to flash a Custom ROM
- If you are a new comer (Welcome)
1. Download and install Samsung USB drivers to your PC. Reboot. Connect your phone and check your phone is recognized.
2. Download ODIN 3.09
3. Download PhilZ Recovery 5.15 (Most recommended Recovery right now)
4. Open ODIN. Put Recovery tar.md5 file in PDA tab. Only "F.Reset" will be TICKED and nothing else.
5. Switch Off phone.
6. Put Phone into download Mode by pressing and holding "Vol down + Center (Home) key + Power On"
7. Now connect phone to PC. It will install drivers for your phone. In ODIN it will show connected as Yellow Box with some number.
8. Hit START.
9. After few seconds it will show PASS.
10. Remove your device.
11. Remove battery from phone. Re-insert battery.
12. Now press and hold "Vol Up + Centre (Home) key + Power On". You will enter in Recovery. Congrats
13. Now Reboot System. If it asks if you want to disable Recovery Flash, hit Yes (otherwise on next boot Stock Recovery will come back)

- if you already have Custom Recovery
1. Place the ROM that you want to flash on SDCard (External is recommended)
2. Boot into Recovery
3. a) If you have PhilZ recovery
- Go to Wipe Data/Factory reset
- Clean to install new ROM. Thats it.
b) If you are on TWRP or CWM
- Format all these : /system /data /cache /preload /dalvik-cache
4. Flash the ROM
5. Don't reboot. Clear cache and dalvik cache and then reboot. (not necessary but recommended)

If you need to flash some MOD or OTA update after ROM flashing then
1. Flash the ROM after data wipe
2. Don't reboot to ROM
3. Reboot back to Recovery
4. Flash MOD or Updates
5. Clear Cache and Dalvik cache
6. Reboot System (ROM)

Enjoy the Brilliance of Awesome Developers at XDA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silentvisitor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

silentvisitor
Old
(Last edited by silentvisitor; 26th December 2013 at 10:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 461
Default Custom ROM flashing Issues and Solutions

Issues and Solutions:
Aroma installer freezes while flashing ROM or at the end of flashing
Use PhilZ Recovery 5.15. PhilZ v6 is reported to be having issues with Aroma.

Stock Recovery comes back after flashing PhilZ (or any) Recovery in ODIN
Follow the above mentioned method as it is and your problem will be solved. Actually Samsung Stock firmware checks Custom Recovery on reboot and re-write it with Stock recovery. That's why the above mentioned process. It will remove the script (install-recovery.sh) that does it.

I am on MK4 or MKD bootloader. Now what?
If you have flashed Official OTA or MK4 Stock firmware then you are on MK4 or later bootloader which is NOT DOWNGRADABLE (you can't flash any prior dated bootloaders like MJ5). Doing so can permanently brick your device. Although you can flash any Custom ROM that you want and should not face any issues.

Based on your reported issues I will keep updating this thread.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silentvisitor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

remosuperstar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you very much for the great help