T Mobile Update To 4.4.2 with S-OFF?

OP b1969

22nd February 2014, 10:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

88 posts
My phone right now is unlocked and with s-off. I was thinking I could relock the bootloader and run RUU to go back to complete stock (with S-OFF). My question is can I install the tmo update with S-OFF? Has anyone done this before? Or do I have to go back to S-ON in order to install the update?

I know that rumrunner does not work with HBOOT 1.56.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thank you.
22nd February 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 59

337 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1969

My phone right now is unlocked and with s-off. I was thinking I could relock the bootloader and run RUU to go back to complete stock (with S-OFF). My question is can I install the tmo update with S-OFF? Has anyone done this before? Or do I have to go back to S-ON in order to install the update?

don't think S-OFF or unlocked matters, just stock rom and recovery required
22nd February 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

88 posts
if i run RUU will that give me stock recovery?
22nd February 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 59

337 posts
Quote:

if i run RUU will that give me stock recovery?

If you have a ruu for your currently installed rom, you can extract the recovery from the zip and install.
Otherwise
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545227
Pick the one that matches your current rom version
23rd February 2014, 02:57 PM   |  #5  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 249

996 posts
More
Quote:

My phone is unlocked/S-OFF. On the previous OTA updates, all I had to do was reflash the stock recovery and the updates proceeded normally, installed just fine. On this new OTA update to 4.4.2, however, that didn't work. I tried relocking the bootloader, flashed the stock recovery... nothing worked (it would get the red slash during the recovery part of the OTA update). Evidently, T-Mobile/HTC are now much more picky about modified devices.

So, to get the OTA to work, I had to run the last RUU from T-Mobile. That, of course, wiped my phone clean, but installed a locked fresh 4.3.1 ROM (still S-OFF). Then the OTA update ran perfectly, resulting in the 4.4.2 OS installed. Then I unlocked it, flashed TWRP recovery and rooted it. It's working beautifully.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzi0719 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

88 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzi0719

My phone is unlocked/S-OFF. On the previous OTA updates, all I had to do was reflash the stock recovery and the updates proceeded normally, installed just fine. On this new OTA update to 4.4.2, however, that didn't work. I tried relocking the bootloader, flashed the stock recovery... nothing worked (it would get the red slash during the recovery part of the OTA update). Evidently, T-Mobile/HTC are now much more picky about modified devices.

So, to get the OTA to work, I had to run the last RUU from T-Mobile. That, of course, wiped my phone clean, but installed a locked fresh 4.3.1 ROM (still S-OFF). Then the OTA update ran perfectly, resulting in the 4.4.2 OS installed. Then I unlocked it, flashed TWRP recovery and rooted it. It's working beautifully.

Thank you for the information.
25th February 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #7  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,028

5,475 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzi0719

4.3.1???
Im only on 4.3 and cant update. Ex:3.24.531.3
no-root, Unlocked and s-off only

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread