phone power button broken. how to i reset to send to verizon

Search This thread

makos101

Aug 23, 2010
Pennsilvania
Hello my phone's power button just died and my phone wont turn on. Its being replaced by verizon for free. Is there any way I can reformat it so I dont get in trouble for an open boot loader and a rooted rom? My phone wont turn on at all because the power button is not connected. So I need to do something when its powered off to reset it. Thank you

Chris Kurisu

Jan 7, 2014
Googling this brings up many more xda threads than I could reasonably read. However, being much more motivated you might try them. Post back any results. It would be nice to be able to help others.

Cut and paste this search string. Note the site: syntax that returns only results from xda forums and the inclusion of s3 and siii to narrow it to your device.

site:xda-developers.com broken power button turn on "s3" "siii

Edit: replace the emoticon with a : directly followed by an x. Sheesh!

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

1. Take the battery out of the phone and unplug it from USB power.
2. Plug in USB power.
3. While holding down the volume-down button and the Home button, insert the battery.
4. The phone should start in Download mode, from here you can use Odin to return the phone to stock.

Maybe you should read the OP before posting. His power button is broken. So he can't enter Odin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chris Kurisu

Jan 7, 2014
I also read that doing the volume down and home button combo without battery but plugged in enters download mode. Wild. Any luck?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
You can enter download mode without the power button.

Use terminal emulator,

Su
reboot download

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Kurisu

Jan 7, 2014
Per Jacquestrapp I took the battery out of my s3, plugged into to usb power, held the home/vol down key combo while re-inserting the battery (not easy) and it's now in download mode. Try it. It should work for you.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk