[Q] Brick Help

Tip us?

EvanDinelli
Old
(Last edited by EvanDinelli; 24th February 2014 at 10:00 PM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Brick Help

My brother has a rooted Sprint GS4 and he says he clicked to install a Samsung update that was pushed through his phone (probably 4.3). The phone cannot boot into recovery. Trying to get into recovery leads to a screen saying the update is installing and it always fails and restarts the phone. The phone cannot boot and freezes on the Sprint screen.

*EDIT: Now the phone won't even get past the black galaxy s4 screen!!

How I've been troubleshooting:

The battery was taken out for over 6 hours and same thing.

I tried to use ODIN to flash 4.2, ODIN stops on a write error
(following the QB King video)

Should I try to find 4.3 and attempt to flash? Is there anything else I could do? Thanks!!

Darnell0216
Old
Thanks Meter 20
If the phone was already 4.3, you have to use Odin to flash MK2. Anything older than that will not work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2601443

If the update to 4.4.2 (NAE) failed, you may have to use one of the 4.4.2 ROMs to get the phone to boot until the official 4.4.2.tar comes out. Try MK2 first though.
Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Stock Rooted with CF Auto-Root Tutorial by qbking77
HTC EVO Design 4G v4.0.3 Bootloader Unlocked & Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
The Following User Says Thank You to Darnell0216 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDinelli View Post
My brother has a rooted Sprint GS4 and he says he clicked to install a Samsung update that was pushed through his phone (probably 4.3). The phone cannot boot into recovery. Trying to get into recovery leads to a screen saying the update is installing and it always fails and restarts the phone. The phone cannot boot and freezes on the Sprint screen.

*EDIT: Now the phone won't even get past the black galaxy s4 screen!!

How I've been troubleshooting:

The battery was taken out for over 6 hours and same thing.

I tried to use ODIN to flash 4.2, ODIN stops on a write error
(following the QB King video)

Should I try to find 4.3 and attempt to flash? Is there anything else I could do? Thanks!!
There is a MJA full tar available from rwilco12's repository. First charge the phone for a couple hours. Then put into download mode - volume down+ power, then volume up to confirm. Run Odin as administrator, put the tar.md5 file in the pda shot, connect the phone and flash with Odin 3.07 or 3.09.
First boot may take five earth minutes or more.
If it gets stuck on yellow screen for more that ten minutes, boot into stock recovery and factory reset. Should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EvanDinelli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaderbuilder View Post
There is a MJA full tar available from rwilco12's repository. First charge the phone for a couple hours. Then put into download mode - volume down+ power, then volume up to confirm. Run Odin as administrator, put the tar.md5 file in the pda shot, connect the phone and flash with Odin 3.07 or 3.09.
First boot may take five earth minutes or more.
If it gets stuck on yellow screen for more that ten minutes, boot into stock recovery and factory reset. Should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for these steps! The phone is fully restored with nothing wiped! I really appreciate your help!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvanDinelli For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDinelli View Post
Thanks for these steps! The phone is fully restored with nothing wiped! I really appreciate your help!
Thank you for reporting back!
That is a big thing, it really helps the community.
Since the phone will be on the full stock it will probably get the OTA update notification.
Might want to hold off on that for a bit.
To turn off the notification for these in the future:

1. from the homescreen click menu.
2. click settings.
3. click more
4. click application manager.
5. scroll over to all
6. find google services framework.
7. uncheck "show notifications"

the short cut?
1. pull down the notification bar
2. long press on the system update notification
3. press app info
4. uncheck "show notifications"
Have fun and good luck with your new phone.

Spend some time reading, searching and reading and you all will sure enjoy this device.
Good luck.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]