Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,627 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Editing Build.prop to change model not working

Tip us?

CustomRomAddicts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Editing Build.prop to change model not working

Alright, i am trying to change my model value to GT-5100 to run Ported Note 8 version of Polaris Tablet ( the last one ) ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...p#post39841099 )

In that xperiacle has recommended to change the change ro.product.model value to GT-N5100 using build prop editor.

I downloaded this application ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...p.editor&hl=en )

and in the ro.product.model to GT-5100 and i saved it and rebooted.. But it isn't working!

Anyone help please.. Thanks a lot in advance

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomRomAddicts View Post
Alright, i am trying to change my model value to GT-5100 to run Ported Note 8 version of Polaris Tablet ( the last one ) ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...p#post39841099 )

In that xperiacle has recommended to change the change ro.product.model value to GT-N5100 using build prop editor.

I downloaded this application ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...p.editor&hl=en )

and in the ro.product.model to GT-5100 and i saved it and rebooted.. But it isn't working!

Anyone help please.. Thanks a lot in advance
Try using root explorer and edit it manually. Once edited, reopen the file and check if your changes saved. Also if you using Philz recovery, it sometimes does not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to nokiamodeln91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CustomRomAddicts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiamodeln91 View Post
Try using root explorer and edit it manually. Once edited, reopen the file and check if your changes saved. Also if you using Philz recovery, it sometimes does not work.
Well, i am on Hello world kernel and I will try the root explorer and update whether it worked or not!

Thanks for your reply..

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
Quote:
Well, i am on Hello world kernel and I will try the root explorer and update whether it worked or not!

Thanks for your reply..
that kernel uses philz recovery too.
The Following User Says Thank You to nokiamodeln91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CustomRomAddicts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Yep. I know. Thanks for your reply.. Ok so do we have to change only the ro.product.model

or do we have to change the following also?

ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=
ro.product.board=
ro.build.product=

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
i think... but keep a backup.. phone might boot loop..
ro.product.model=GT-N7000
ro.product.device=GT-N7000

CustomRomAddicts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
i think... but keep a backup.. phone might boot loop..
ro.product.model=GT-N7000
ro.product.device=GT-N7000
I changed the
ro.product.model=GT-N5100
ro.product.device=GT-N5100
ro.product.device=GT-N5100

Not Working!..

But below that it says
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=GT-N7000

Would it make any sense if i change ro.build.product?, even though it says its obsolete?..

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
Quote:
I changed the
Would it make any sense if i change ro.build.product?, even though it says its obsolete?..
No.. Try changing the kernel to speedmod... and then edit

CustomRomAddicts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
No.. Try changing the kernel to speedmod... and then edit
UPDATE:- Alright, i tried wiping cache and dalvik cache.. No use but one error popped up when i booting into the device " samsung syncadapters stopped " and " samsung backup and restore stopped ".. What this about?.. Anyway Edited the Values to default and restarted now!..

I am not sure about Speedmod cuz i am currently on X-Rom and i saw xperiacle mentioning something about speedmod creating some problem with this Rom and he removed it.. So any other kernel you recommend?..

But do we really have to change the kernel to edit the build.prop?.. There is no other way huh?.. It Definitely wont work in Philz kernel huh?.

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
If i recall i read a few posts about build.prop changes and Philz recovery issues.. If you can use speedmod then i have no options.