[Q] Wanting to create a launcher/home screen replacement, how to start?

OP pepoluan

9th February 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 989

1,517 posts
More
I am planning to develop launcher/home screen replacement, what is your recommendation for me to start?

Some questions that crosses my mind at the moment:

* What language I should use
* Any open source samples I can look at
* How to properly debug an Android app
* How to profile & optimise the app

I'm quite well-versed in programming, but for the desktop. I haven't ever created a program for Android, yet. So, I'm going to need some guidance here.

sent from Sony Xperia SP C5302 (stock 4.1, LB, root) via Tapatalk
13th February 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepoluan

I am planning to develop launcher/home screen replacement, what is your recommendation for me to start?

You'll have to do this in Java. You could possibly write parts in C++, but the base app will be Java. Get the Android SDK, it contains a small sample launcher app that can serve as a starting point. Since android is open source, you can also look at the code for the default launcher:

For debugging, I've personally used Emacs with jdb, because I cannot stand working with Eclipse. But Android Studio seems to be coming along nicely, and this might be your best bet when starting out.
The Following User Says Thank You to svdree For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2014, 03:17 PM   |  #3  
Flag Tempe, AZ
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepoluan

How to properly debug an Android app

For work I've done, the output of the logcat has usually been enough to point me in the right direction for Java and C++. If you happen to do anything with the NDK, and stick with Eclipse, here's a guide mhandroid.wordpress(dot)com/2011/01/23/using-eclipse-for-android-cc-debugging/. If you're not comfortable with using other editors, I'd recommend Eclipse, but I despise it, like the poster above me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompuFart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread