Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,110 Members 52,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung planning April release for Galaxy S5, considering iris scan technology

Tip us?

ramiscat
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Samsung planning April release for Galaxy S5, considering iris scan technology

Well, looks like Samsung will indeed be sticking to its usual schedule of announcing new Galaxy S flagships in March and launching them in April. Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of the company’s mobile business, confirmed to Bloomberg that the Galaxy S5 would launch sometime in April, along with the second-generation Galaxy Gear (already hinted at by another Samsung exec.)

“We’ve been announcing our first flagship model in the first half of each year, around March and April, and we are still targeting for release around that time,” Lee said. “When we release our S5 device, you can also expect a Gear successor with more advanced functions, and the bulky design will also be improved.” He also mentioned that the Galaxy S5 would feature a radically different design with a focus on the display, as the lack of visual differences between the Galaxy S III and Galaxy S4 were part of the reason why the latter didn’t sell as well as expected.

Lee also mentions that the company is looking at implementing iris/retina scanning technology for its next flagship, lending credence to the plethora of rumors that have been swirling around in the last few months. “Many people are fanatical about iris recognition technology and we are studying the possibility,” said Lee; his words suggest that even if the Galaxy S5 doesn’t sport the iris scan feature, at least the Galaxy Note 4 could do so when it launches later this year.

The Galaxy S5 is expected to sport a QHD (2,560×1,440) 2K display, a Snapdragon 800 processor/64-bit Exynos processor, 3GB/4GB of RAM, 16-megapixel camera, and Android 4.4 KitKat. It is also expected to be the first Samsung flagship to have a metal construction, at least on one of its variants.

Source:

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/01/09/...an-technology/

Badbob117
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default huh

I don't know how keen i am about retina scans for your phone. I have had eye surgery and really dislike the idea of stuff messing with my eyeballs.

I mean at one point you gotta ask yourself " how much security is to much?". I will stick with a pin number. Finger print scans, iris/retina, God only knows what is next?

ilordvader
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Default Samsung Galaxy S5 model numbers confirmed: Report

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/01/29/...-s5-confirmed/

In related news, the model numbers of Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone have been confirmed. Shared by SamMobile today, the various Galaxy S5 version will be known SM-G900(X), where the ‘X’ will change depending on the region or variant of device.

Here are the full model numbers:

SM-G9006V_CHN_CHN (China)
SM-G9008V_CHN_ZM (China)
SM-G9009D_CHN_CTC (China)
SM-G900A_NA_ATT (AT&T)
SM-G900D_JPN_DCM (Japan)
SM-G900F_EUR_XX (Open Europe)
SM-G900H_EUR_XX (Open Europe)
SM-G900I_SEA_XSA (Asia)
SM-G900J_JPN_KDI (Japan)
SM-G900K_KOR_KTC (Korea)
SM-G900M_LA_VF (Vodafone)
SM-G900P_NA_SPR (Sprint)
SM-G900R4_NA_USC (US Cellular)
SM-G900S_KOR_SKC (Korea)
SM-G900T_NA_TMB (T-Mobile)
SM-G900V_NA_VZW (Verizon)
SM-G900W8_NA_BMC (BMC)
Lord Vader
"Knowledge grows when shared"

Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE SM-G900F
Samsung Galaxy-S2 AT&T/Note N-7000/S3 i9300/Note2 GT-N7100/S4 i9505 LTE/GT-S5310B/Note3 SM-N9005 LTE
HTC HD2 Telstra T9193
AT&T-Nokia 6620/Tilt-HTC_TyTN_II/HTC Fuze
Sprint-Sanyo SCP-4500/Sanyo SCP-5500 (VM-4500)
Nokia 9210 Communicator
Ericsson(1997)-GA628/GF 788/T65

SanDisk 64GB Extreme® microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-I Card

Mr hOaX
Old
Thanks Meter 960
I heard somewhere that Samsung gonna release it in Barcelona on 23rd February

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hit Button If I Have Helped You / If You Like This Post

gadgetmilk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So much for that retina scanner talk. Galaxy S5 was a disappointment. Good but still a disappointment.