[Q] Security enhanced smartphone

OP ementaler

24th February 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi all, new poster here.

Up until recently I wasn't very much interested in acquiring a smartphone. As I'm rather curious, I finally decided to make that technological leap.
Having read about inherent insecurity of such devices, wanted to know what can be done to make them more... ehm, "safe".

Going for android, there seem to be lots of ways hardening the system, but what about baseband RTOS? As I understand, no amount of security
can stop it from controling phone's funcionality. Cryptophone seems to deploy a hardware based firewall on older Samsung phones where
CPU and baseband don't share direct memory, what are the possibilities of doing the same with SOC that shares it? XEN?

Second point - SIM security. Having read Nohl's research on its vulnerability, is it possible to code TurboSIM to reject OTA updates?

If there is no way of separating baseband from CPU, how practical can one be by combining battery powered mifi dongle in one pocket,
and airplane-mode enabled smartphone in the other? Any recommendations?

For starters, I'm considering Moto G - what can I do in order to secure it?

Should I go for newely presented Blackphone instead? Is it all just hype or a real deal?

Perhaps I should wait for Neo900? Quote from their website: "Neo900 won't share system RAM with the modem and system CPU will always have
full control over the microphone signal sent to the modem. You can think of it as a USB dongle connected to the PC, with you in full control
over the drivers, with a virtual LED to show any modem activity."

Apologies for somewhat lenghty post. All help is much appreciated.
25th February 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
bump
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread