FORUMS

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Do You Do Self-Repairs on Your Devices?

As smartphone designs become more and more complex, self-repairs on devices are also becoming … more

Sony Z4 Slips Out of Top 5 Smartphones in Japan

In a bid to streamline its flagship series which had been losing credibility over the … more

Sprint’s New Unlimited Plan with Ridiculous Capped Speeds

The carrier game in the United States is perpetually rushing forward at … more

4.3 update.

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 6
 
By Jsouthernindiana, Member on 23rd February 2014, 05:50 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have a note 2 I am running 4.4.2 Probam and love it. I just bought another note 2 for my wife and its 4.1.2. I plan on rooting but probably no custom ROMs. Just debloating on my own. Should I update to 4.3 or stay at where I am?
I have never updated my bootloader and use 4.3 touchwiz ROMs fine with devil kernel. What's my best move from some expertise experience. Not a nooby but not a developer. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
 
 
23rd February 2014, 06:23 AM |#2  
softballjunkee13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,423
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsouthernindiana

I have a note 2 I am running 4.4.2 Probam and love it. I just bought another note 2 for my wife and its 4.1.2. I plan on rooting but probably no custom ROMs. Just debloating on my own. Should I update to 4.3 or stay at where I am?
I have never updated my bootloader and use 4.3 touchwiz ROMs fine with devil kernel. What's my best move from some expertise experience. Not a nooby but not a developer. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

It honestly depends on ur plans for that phone. If u never plan on rooting it I would definitely update to 4.3 using the ota. But that's just a personal opinion. If ur planning on rooting I wouldn't update to 4.3 using the ATT ota. If u update to ota 4.3 anytime u use odin it will trip the Knox counter. And then chance for a warranty replacement if u need it is slim to none. If ur planning on rooting there a a few really solid TW 4.3 roms out there with no worries about Knox.

Sent from my Note 2 running MEAN MUTHA F'N BEAN💣💥💥💥
23rd February 2014, 08:20 AM |#3  
dicksteele's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,858
 
More
4.1.2 is solid. Since it's your wife's phone, personal experience allows me to say leave it be. Lord help me if Candy Crush doesn't work.....

But you have an option.

A time saver to get to 4.3 and rooted on your current bootloader would be this.,,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2589891
AT&T UCUBMK6 i317 *Odexed* Stock ODIN Note 2

It's already rooted, all you have to do is debloat with Titanium BU or whatever.

From the thread -----> If you *are not* running Official 4.3 (MK6) or newer bootloader: After flashing one of the firmware packages above (the Stock ODIN) flash the bootloader package below in Odin to get wifi working (sorry, no option available for CWM/TWRP). I've included the Odin executable just after if needed.
Bootloader needs to be flashed only once. See post #2 for information on how to check what version of bootloader you have installed.

This is what you will flash:
AT&T i317 ODIN 4.3 UCUBMJ4 (Leak) Bootloader & TZ (AT&T Note 2 ONLY)

This bootloader will not trip Knox.
Last edited by dicksteele; 23rd February 2014 at 08:28 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2014, 09:45 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Evansville
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Thanks. Not worried about warranties. I rooted it at 4.1.2. I'd I update OTA to 4.3 am I still able to put a custom recovery on it? Kinda confused if the 4.3 update locks the bootloader and lastly wasn't the at&t s4 bootloader able to be unlocked when it first came out? Soon after a OTA broke the root. If so then why wouldn't a brand new one out of box be able to have bootloader unlocked just as the phones come with the same firmware version and not updated until bought. Just wondering.
25th February 2014, 09:52 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsouthernindiana

Thanks. Not worried about warranties. I rooted it at 4.1.2. I'd I update OTA to 4.3 am I still able to put a custom recovery on it? Kinda confused if the 4.3 update locks the bootloader and lastly wasn't the at&t s4 bootloader able to be unlocked when it first came out? Soon after a OTA broke the root. If so then why wouldn't a brand new one out of box be able to have bootloader unlocked just as the phones come with the same firmware version and not updated until bought. Just wondering.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2589891

Check this here, it should answer your questions.

I am not too sure about the S4.
I recently got a refurbished Note 2 that came with the 4.3 firmware (my original note 2 broke), MK6 booloader. According to this link, If your phone is running the MK6 bootloader, It is not possible AS OF NOW to revert to the previous bootloader MJ4. You can put CWM recovery and custom roms on your 4.3 build but I don't think they are too stable as of now. I have not tried it yet.
Last edited by dabloc123; 25th February 2014 at 09:57 PM.
25th February 2014, 11:46 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Evansville
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I have at&t note 2 and never updated to 4.3 like I said before but when I flashed a 4.3 tw ROM WiFi wouldnt work like you said. Instead of doing the Odin bootloader thing I just flashed the devel kernel and everything went good. WiFi works flawless. Devil kernel works on toichwiz and aosp. My question is would it be better to do that and leave the bootloader alone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
25th February 2014, 11:49 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Evansville
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
The note 2 I got last Friday is 4.1.2. The only reason I didn't get the note 3 is this whole bootloader crap. T-Mobile is really starting to look good from here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
25th February 2014, 11:54 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Evansville
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
To not confuse. I have had my note 2. Just got my wife the other one. I don't think I am going to update it at all. Just to make sure I rooted hers with framaroot and stopped any ota 4.3 from slipping by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
25th February 2014, 11:56 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Evansville
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
One last question. Not sure if we already touched this or not. On your at&t 4.3 note 2 can you put a custom recovery cwm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
26th February 2014, 02:53 AM |#10  
dicksteele's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,858
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsouthernindiana

One last question. Not sure if we already touched this or not. On your at&t 4.3 note 2 can you put a custom recovery cwm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

How did you flash the devils kernel ? ODIN ?

And the answer is yes you can.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes