S4 is a good piece of hardware, I got it launch day, patiently awaited the community here to root and put on the Google Edition Rom. All was well. Problem is I smashed the screen and had to use the insurance to get a replacement. Got a brand new phone, that's how new the whole thing was. Soon after smashing, I dropped it and got a small crack in the corner. That ended up running across the phone, and with all the damage I decided to shed the case and a few months later, I had an accident that rendered the phone useless. So it sits in my drawer.
I still have the insurance, and have only replaced it once, so I have one more. The cost to replace is $200. Which is absurd. But that's where we're at.
One of the setbacks I had once I got the new phone is I rooted but never turned off the OTA's. So, ended up on MK2. I'm a casual recreational phone modder. So not being able to use CWM, or put a custom rom on had pretty much killed all my fun...
But now I have no phone at all...
I did find out I'm eligible to upgrade my phone to the NEXT plan on AT&T. So technically I could get a whole new phone, pay quite a bit but spread it over the year, and be eligible for an upgrade again next February. Not sure if that plan is all it's cracked up to be.
Here are my choices:
1) Pay $200 and get the Galaxy S4 - I would be eligible for a new phone in March 2015.
2) Stick with an old Iphone 4 for a couple of months, wait for the S5, and jump on that with the NEXT plan.
3) Sign up for the NEXT plan and get a different phone, one that's more mod friendly. Options like:
- HTC One
- Moto X
- the LG curved phone
- Are any of these phones starting to get shut down like the S4?
4) Sign up for the NEXT plan and suck it up and get the Note 3, which is locked down like the S4, but is a phone I really want.
5) Stick with the used slow Iphone 4 I'm using now indefinitely.
6) Get a Nexus 5...does that even work on the At&T network?
7) Some other option I haven't considered...
What do you think?