Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,390 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Flex Problem

Tip us?

gnotelover97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Nexus 7 Flex Problem

When I slightly try to flex my Nexus 7 horizontally, a sort of an odd sound comes from it. Do other other users also observe this. Is it of poor build quality?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to gnotelover97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Winesnob
Old
Thanks Meter 207
The nexus 7 is not a flexible device. That odd sound is likely a signal to the user to stop trying to flex the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
Assume nothing, question everything. Only then will you find the truth.

Nexus 5 - stock 4.4.3/KTU84P
Nexus 7 (2013) - stock 4.4.3/KTU84P
Galaxy Nexus (SCH-I515) - "Shiny" 4.4.1/KOT49E
Xoom US WiFi (MZ604) - 4.1.2/JZO54K
Fascinate (SCH-I500) - CM 10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyberd View Post
That screen is still going to eat through battery like a bulldog in a bacon factory.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Winesnob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

just lou
Old
Thanks Meter 581
WTF? 😕

gnotelover97
Old
(Last edited by gnotelover97; 26th February 2014 at 05:32 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winesnob View Post
The nexus 7 is not a flexible device. That odd sound is likely a signal to the user to stop trying to flex the device.

I may sound like an OCD victim, but I was trying to test the rigidity of the device. Like The kind of tests tech Youtubers do with Mechanical keyboards and other large devices. Marques Brownlee had done an extreme variation of what I did on his LG G Flex video. While I understand that LG Flex has been specifically manufactured to withstand these extreme tests and conditions, I just wanted to see how my Nexus 7 compares. I was not at all extreme with it and just slightly flexed it, subjecting it to those conditions which were all extremely likely on normal user's usage scenario. Pardon me, if you thought what I did was wrong.

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnotelover97 View Post
I may sound like an OCD victim, but I was trying to test the rigidity of the device. Like The kind of tests tech Youtubers do with Mechanical keyboards and other large devices. Marques Brownlee had done an extreme variation of what I did on his LG G Flex video. While I understand that LG Flex has been specifically manufactured to withstand these extreme tests and conditions, I just wanted to see how my Nexus 7 compares. I was not at all extreme with it and just slightly flexed it, subjecting it to those conditions which were all extremely likely on normal user's usage scenario. Pardon me, if you thought what I did was wrong.

I wouldn't take it personally. It's just that it kind of gets old when you keep reading posts in the forums of people looking for defects in their devices that aren't really defects at all. If you take a gander in the Nexus 5 forums, you'll see they are littered with threads about real non-issues. For example, one guy made a post saying he thought his Nexus 5 had a problem because when he would push hard on the back under the camera, it would creak a little bit.

My advice... Just use your tablet like it was meant to be used, and don't sit on it or do anything that would cause it to flex. One can really drive him/herself mad looking for imperfections in his/her electronic devices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gnotelover97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I agree.

Winesnob
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnotelover97 View Post

I'm not judging right or wrong here, I just don't see the point of stress testing a perfectly good device (unless of course you are a tech editor and want to show your readers/viewers a potential device weakness). Personally, I treat my devices with kid gloves - I like the way they look and feel now, and I'd like them to be the same 2 years down the road when I trade up to the newest version.

And flexing a device that wasn't intended to flex is just asking for problems.

Assume nothing, question everything. Only then will you find the truth.

Nexus 5 - stock 4.4.3/KTU84P
Nexus 7 (2013) - stock 4.4.3/KTU84P
Galaxy Nexus (SCH-I515) - "Shiny" 4.4.1/KOT49E
Xoom US WiFi (MZ604) - 4.1.2/JZO54K
Fascinate (SCH-I500) - CM 10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyberd View Post
That screen is still going to eat through battery like a bulldog in a bacon factory.