Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I flash a kernel (.img)?

Tip us?

tab0rda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] How do I flash a kernel (.img)?

I really tried do find a way to do this but I can't.
I have Carbon Rom 4.4.2 for p705 but I have a p700 and as Carbon's doesn't have OC they recommended to flash Cr3pt's kernel but the only I could find was a boot.img. In flashify it says that boot partition can't be found..
So can anyone send me or teach me how to flash a .img file or get me a easier to flash kernel if that's possible thanks...

SuperSkill
Old
Thanks Meter 1135
You can't flash it like you usually do. Boot.img are a CWM backup so you need to go to backup/restore and choose advanced restore and the navigate to the boot.img and start the restore process

Hope that helps and make sure it's a file matching your device and your current rom.
Do to others what you expect yourself, thats respect. Remember the newbies, we dont know what they might know
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSkill For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tab0rda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkill View Post
You can't flash it like you usually do. Boot.img are a CWM backup so you need to go to backup/restore and choose advanced restore and the navigate to the boot.img and start the restore process

Hope that helps and make sure it's a file matching your device and your current rom.
Thank you, very much I'll try that now

SuperSkill
Old
Thanks Meter 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab0rda View Post
Thank you, very much I'll try that now
One more thing, you can also use the file to overwrite the one in the rom zip file using 7zip or winrar
Do to others what you expect yourself, thats respect. Remember the newbies, we dont know what they might know
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSkill For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tab0rda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkill View Post
One more thing, you can also use the file to overwrite the one in the rom zip file using 7zip or winrar
And I can flash the ROM without losing my data and settings?

SuperSkill
Old
Thanks Meter 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab0rda View Post
And I can flash the ROM without losing my data and settings?
No and yes, I'd you flash the rom first you'll be fine. The rom zip contains boot.img so if you first restore the boot.img it will be overwritten if you flash the rom second. Therfore you should replace the boot.img in the rom zip.

How it helps and clarify the situation