5,598,011 Members 40,967 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What smartwatch should i get

Tip us?

Testingchip
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I don't know of an app that you can actually type a text from for the Pebble though. SW2 you can.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

mikeydubbs
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingchip View Post
I don't know of an app that you can actually type a text from for the Pebble though. SW2 you can.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Its called wrist ponder
Nexus 4 -- 4.4 MAKO-odexed.NEXUS 5 port

Zopo ZP900 -- (Only use as a phone as a backup/rough housing)
Nexus S -- PARANOIDANDROID 2.0
Asus Transformer TF101--Team EOS 3 JB 4.1.1
Lg Optimus One p500--eXPERIAtion™ v1

enigma_x
Old
(Last edited by enigma_x; 16th February 2014 at 12:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydubbs View Post
Its called wrist ponder
I think the writer above said that you write the sms with your watch, not preloaded sms, but actually you write the sms with your watch from the start. Doesnt Wristponder work on the way, that you have to write sms with you phone, like "ill be there in 5min" and use these preloaded sms to answer.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8000).

Nomad1600
Old
Thanks Meter 116
The "which one should I get?" question is one that is difficult to answer and likely to get different answers depending on which form you asked. I am sure the folks in the Pebble will give you valid Pebble recommendations in their forum, same for Gear, AI, HOT, Onate, etc. Here, you will get SW2 recommendations.

I looked at all and chose the Sony obviously. There were/are things about each design I liked and disliked. I like the community aspect of the Pebble and the greater number of apps/extensions available to customize the watch, especially the watchface. I like the build quality and looks of the SW2, and the ability to use touch instead of buttons. Plus most of the functions I need are covered by the available extensions. My biggest gripe continues to be the limited number of watchfaces... I envy the complete customization available with the Gear (eg. recreating a high-end watch face like a Bell&Ross, Omega, Breiltling, etc). And even the Pebble offers way more and way more functional watchfaces... eg. one that shows time, weather, and notification counts).

Ultimately, I think the real winners will be the next gen of true "smart" watches. Whether its the gear 2, or something like the Omate. Where you can completely customize with ROMs and add functional apps from the Play Store. I don't know if cameras and calls are that big of a deal, but I really think the smartwatch has to be more than a notification window and more of a smartphone extension.

My two cents... discounted as usual.
Android devices: Samsung Galaxy S III running LiquidSmooth 3.0 (retired phone: HTC Thunderbolt running InfectedROM NuSense Eternity); HP TouchPad running OaT CM10.1, Sony SmartWatch 2

cocoabean772
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I say the smart watch 2!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

greaet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydubbs View Post
Hey everyone! First of all I didn't see a Q&A forum so if this is in a bad spot sorry about that.

So I have been wanting to get a smartwatch and i have been stuck on deciding between the Sony smartwatch 2 and the Pebble Steel.
I have been looking everywhere, reading and watching reviews, but no one ever gives a good opinion on which is better. It seems like they end up weighing them out as even. For the Sony sw2 with the metal wristband it is currently $199 with free shipping. The Pebble Steel is $249 with free shipping that takes several weeks (so the site says) and may include import taxes.

I am currently using a Nexus 4, enjoy some small development, mainly looking for practical use, with a nice look.

Currently I am leaning towards the pebble steel. I don't know guys. Please share some of your opinions and thoughts, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I was in the same dilemma few days back and I chose Gear instead of SW2. Reason being simple. Now with the launch of Gear2, we can get Gear at the price of SW2 if not less. You get more features with Gear. And its cool too. If you check Gear forum, you can see the Null ROM which has added more features to Gear than the stock OS. With Null ROM, you can connect it to any device and not just Galaxy range. Check it out and decide. Try to see all 3 at the same time and see which one you like. End of the day, you are not gonna spend 24hrs of ur time seeing notifications. Its gonna act as your watch so check how comfortable are you wearing one and how it suits you. For the usage you mentioned, all 3 serves the purpose.

All the best! Gonna place my order for Gear next week

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ro_explorer
Old
Thanks Meter 502
I used to have first Sony attempt to a Smartwatch and the experience was horrible (few years back).

Now, I played with Gear, SW2 and Pebble and, let's put it simple: my money went to Sony's SW2. Is far from perfect but, considering the price, is a very good quality/price ratio. If you ask me which smartwatch is the best nowadays I would say: TOQ ... it has by far the best display - but that is expensive.
Functionality wise - they are all the same: a simple notification extension to your smartphone.
Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
Nexus 4 - 16GB - Stock 4.4.2 + xposed
LG G Pad 8.3 - Stock + xposed
In-house: Nexus 7 - 32GB - (Stock 4.4.2 - rooted), RAZR i (stock 4.1.2 - rooted), Defy (MIUI) + Galaxy Tab 8.9 (ICS stock- rooted)

Tags
pebble, review, sony smartwatch 2, which is better