5,603,920 Members 40,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just got a 7" Kindle Fire HD Demo Unit ...

Tip us?

GameGuru41
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Just got a 7" Kindle Fire HD Demo Unit ...

and I want to make it a normal Kindle Fire HD. I know I need to root to get rid of the demo software but I want to put the real FireOS on it and have it update normally so how would I go about unrooting it, or do I even have to unroot?

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 21st February 2014 at 06:09 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Um if it's a demo unit then it is not rooted, its on it's own demo os, you will need a fastboot cable to get it into fastboot mode so you can flash a normal os onto it. The normal os that get's flashed onto it comes prerooted because in order to make a system image we need root, hence it's got the su binary in the system image. I personally recommend installing a cm based os and 2nd bootloader afterwards if this is a 2012 model(has a camera), the amazon os is kinda limited capability wise.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

RichyRich2121
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Um if it's a demo unit then it is not rooted, its on it's own demo os, you will need a fastboot cable to get it into fastboot mode so you can flash a normal os onto it. The normal os that get's flashed onto it comes prerooted because in order to make a system image we need root, hence it's got the su binary in the system image. I personally recommend installing a cm based os and 2nd bootloader afterwards if this is a 2012 model(has a camera), the amazon os is kinda limited capability wise.

Hi All
I have the same issue brought a cheap Demo unit off eBay, just need to restore / re flash to a normal amazon kindle, Yep a Noob ! so simplest terms please .. have a fastboot cable and the kindle screen shows the fastboot logo, (PC_Windows 7 OS) sees the Kindle in my computer, however no other files can be seen. downloaded KffirstAide64, when I run the software, the following appears 'The system cannot find the path specified'
any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 26th February 2014 at 06:25 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
I have ever had to use any of the utilities to restore a kindle though I vaguely remember there being a long list of instructions on kffa's post to do before using it, if you haven't done so then follow the directions, or just try kindle fire system restore tool. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
Ignore the part on srt's page about the adb command, that's only for if you don't have a fastboot cable and you have adb access.

My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

RichyRich2121
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still no go

Quote:
I have he er had to use any of the utilities to restore a kindle though I vaguely remember there being a long lost of instructions on kffa's post to do before using it, if you haven't done so then follow the directions, or just try kindle fire system restore tool. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
Ignore the part on srt's page about the adb command, that's only for if you don't have a fastboot cable and you have adb access.

Followed the instructions, still not recognising the device in recovery tool ( < waiting for device> ), any suggestions please?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next to it, if you find it then download the drivers in my signature and unzip them somewhere, then in the device manager right click the device with yellow triangle, hit update drivers, point it to where my drivers are and you should be set.

RichyRich2121
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next to it, if you find it then download the drivers in my signature and unzip them somewhere, then in the device manager right click the device with yellow triangle, hit update drivers, point it to where my drivers are and you should be set.

OK, now with a fresh head to look at this, installed the drivers and cleared off the DEMO software, The KFHD boots with the KFHD splash screen then imeadiately goes to boot menu.
now the Recovery software runs but states -' The system cannot find the path specified'
'Fastboot is not recognised as an internal or external command'
The KFHD is in fastboot mode as per screen with the factory cable attached to the PC
The KFHD is not recognised in my computer but there is no triangle showing
Any ideas please?

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 23rd March 2014 at 06:35 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Your recovery software wasn't extracted completely? That error means the fastboot command wasn't ran because windows couldn't find the file specified. If you were running kffa without extracting it that would explain it.

As for the not showing up part, it should show up as a adb device when it is in fastboot. You can always try switching to a normal cable once it is in fastboot. I would try getting the command working first in case its showing up and you aren't seeing it since the command would.

RichyRich2121
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Your recovery software wasn't extracted completely? That error means the fastboot command wasn't ran because windows couldn't find the file specified. If you were running kffa without extracting it that would explain it.

As for the not showing up part, it should show up as a adb device when it is in fastboot. You can always try switching to a normal cable once it is in fastboot. I would try getting the command working first in case its showing up and you aren't seeing it since the command would.

AH HA ! I have the device showing as android ADB interface, now for the silly question, once I have downloaded and extracted kffistaide where should it be located? now it is just in a folder on the desktop, should it be in a specific location? to allow the path to be seen.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
You can extract kffa wherever you want.