XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help needed - i9505g soft-brick/recovery boot-loop

Tip us?

BigGuyWhoKills
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help needed - i9505g soft-brick/recovery boot-loop

This is my second Samsung. I have put over a dozen different ROMs on my old Exhibit II 4G. Having said that, I realize many of you know more than I could ever hope to know. That is why I'm posting here. I have searched, but most of my searches take me to announcements of new CWM and TWRP recoveries.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition for over a month and still did not have a nandroid backup, so last night I installed ClockworkMod ROM Manager with the intention of flashing CWM Recovery. The app did not list my phone, so I told it to show all devices, where I found the i9505 (I don't remember if it was the i9505g or not). I told it to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, and selected the option that I had not yet flashed CWMR. I then used QuickBoot to reboot into recovery, where I performed my first nandroid to the microSD card.

When I rebooted after making that nandroid, it went right back to ClockworkMod Recovery. Subsequent reboots did the same thing. I could get into Odin mode with VolumeDown+Home+Power. Using Odin v3.09 I was able to flash the stock recovery. This did not resolve the boot-loop issue. Now it boots into the stock recovery, which is less functional than CWM. To me it is behaving as if the recovery tools were flashed to the /boot/ partition, or something is telling it to always boot from the recovery partition.

-In stock recovery, it will download ADB installations (from "apply update from ADB"), but every attempt fails it's signature verification. I have tried 6+ files, all have failed. I believe that the device has USB debugging enabled, but I cannot check while in this state.
-Stock recovery does not mount the microSD card, so I cannot install from there. CWM would mount the microSD card, but I did not think to try installs from the microSD at that time. Is it possible that I installed the wrong stock recovery?
-I do not know how to perform an ADB "push" with my phone in this state. To be honest, I have never done an ADB push. If I get to that stage, where on my S4 should I send a pushed file? "/system/bin"?
-If I try an adb push in this mode
-How do I get my phone to boot from the proper partition?
-If I have the wrong data in that partition, how do I get the correct information onto that partition?

Here is what it does when I try to sideload from stock recovery:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify while-file signature
E:failed to verify while-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Thank you in advance for any help!

BigGuyWhoKills
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Solved - i9505g soft-brick/boot-loop

My problem was resolved by flashing a stock recovery and ROM, found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2569510
The package named "I9505GUEUBML4_FULL_ROOTED.tar.md5.gz" flashed from Odin is what worked.