5,606,650 Members 36,233 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S-ON, no stock Android, cannot unlock

Tip us?

codejunkie83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So, a quick update on this (in case it helps anyone else in the same boat). I've spent the past few weeks going back and forth with HTC, who have been very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, we came to the conclusion that I would need to send my phone in for repair. However, this was before the AT&T update was released.

So, along with this update, does anyone think flashing the AT&T firmware for 4.18 would help my situation, since I am currently on 4.06.1540.2? I think that it would flash ok, but not sure if I would be able to proceed at all after that, since I have no android installed.

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by codejunkie83 View Post
So, a quick update on this (in case it helps anyone else in the same boat). I've spent the past few weeks going back and forth with HTC, who have been very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, we came to the conclusion that I would need to send my phone in for repair. However, this was before the AT&T update was released.

So, along with this update, does anyone think flashing the AT&T firmware for 4.18 would help my situation, since I am currently on 4.06.1540.2? I think that it would flash ok, but not sure if I would be able to proceed at all after that, since I have no android installed.
Looks like someone tried it already. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=71

Did not work for this user, unfortunately, you are welcome to try. You would need to download the ATT OTA for 4.4.2, extract firmware.zip and then run the following commands:

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (second time)
fastboot reboot-bootloader

and then unlock using HTC Dev..

codejunkie83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Okay I will give it a shot when I get home, see what kind of results I get. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Do post back your results!

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Okay I will give it a shot when I get home, see what kind of results I get. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to SaHiLzZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codejunkie83
Old
(Last edited by codejunkie83; 26th February 2014 at 01:37 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaHiLzZ View Post

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Alright, so quick update - I think I'm making progress! I downloaded the OTA file from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2659374 and extracted the firmware.zip from it. I flashed that, and am finally back on an AT&T base version (4.18.502.7). So, from here, I am going to attempt to unlock again and get a custom recovery on it. Will update as I progress - if anything else comes to mind, let me know!

Also., for giggles/information, here is my getvar all:

Quote:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.502.7
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4319mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-c6bbb6d4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
EDIT 2:
Okay, well, seems I'm still in the same boat - just on AT&T's version instead of dev edition. I'm still in contact with HTC, so hopefully I can get something worked out with them.

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 297
So htc Dev unlock didn't work?

spider84a
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Like @SaHiLzZ says, use the htcdev, there is a tuturial http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1432199

codejunkie83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider84a View Post
Like @SaHiLzZ says, use the htcdev, there is a tuturial http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1432199
Unfortunately, it does not work. I get a successful message, but nothing happens on the phone. The next command I run on the phone (no matter what it is) gives an error message that custom splash could not be shown.

cschmitt
Old
Thanks Meter 1508
Quote:
Unfortunately, it does not work. I get a successful message, but nothing happens on the phone. The next command I run on the phone (no matter what it is) gives an error message that custom splash could not be shown.
If you flashed the GPE Conversion RUU you will never be able to unlock via HTC Dev because that RUU writes sp1.img to mmcblk0p13 where the custom splash screen is stored and it's not the correct one for non-GPE devices such as AT&T, TMO, or the Developer Edition.

For these devices that have been converted to GPE they will always show something like:
Code:
[DISPLAY_ERR] sp_custom partition: sp_custom_img_hd read error!
when attempting to unlock the bootloader by flashing the unlock token.

Unfortunately, even flashing the correct firmware.zip for the device (such as the 4.18.502.7 firmware from the OTA) won't fix it because firmware zips generally do not include the splash screen files sp1.img or splash1.nb0; these are only included in a full RUU.

Only hope is to wait for a 4.18.502.7 signed RUU from HTC.
<this>
The Following User Says Thank You to cschmitt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codejunkie83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmitt View Post
If you flashed the GPE Conversion RUU you will never be able to unlock via HTC Dev because that RUU writes sp1.img to mmcblk0p13 where the custom splash screen is stored and it's not the correct one for non-GPE devices such as AT&T, TMO, or the Developer Edition.

For these devices that have been converted to GPE they will always show something like:
Code:
[DISPLAY_ERR] sp_custom partition: sp_custom_img_hd read error!
when attempting to unlock the bootloader by flashing the unlock token.

Unfortunately, even flashing the correct firmware.zip for the device (such as the 4.18.502.7 firmware from the OTA) won't fix it because firmware zips generally do not include the splash screen files sp1.img or splash1.nb0; these are only included in a full RUU.

Only hope is to wait for a 4.18.502.7 signed RUU from HTC.
This totally makes sense, and answers a few of the questions I had in the back of my mind. I knew there had to be one little thing I was missing.

Funny that HTC never mentioned this, but then again...tech support, so yeah.

I'll just hang on for the RUU - thanks @cschmitt !