XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review: Incipio DualPro vs Otterbox Commuter

Tip us?

WhiteZero
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Default Review: Incipio DualPro vs Otterbox Commuter

Before even picking up my G2, I purchased the Incipio DualPro as a starter case. After a couple weeks with it, I bought an Otterbox Commuter. And I must say, I prefer the Otterbox hands-down, even though the cases are fairly similar. Here is why:

Both cases use a silicone slip-cover with a hard shell exterior. On the Incipio, the silicone case feels very floppy while the Otterbox is actually quite sturdy and rigid feeling for a "soft cover." The cover on each surrounds the phone and provides an area around the top that raises the phone's screen off of the surface if you have it face-down. This raised front is a bit higher on the Otterbox too.
The hard shell on the Incipio only holds the left and right sides of the soft case against the phone, while the top and bottom sides are left to flop around. This is my biggest disappointment with the Incipio, as the floppy cover gets tugged around alot while pulling the phone from your pocket.
And of course the Otterbox has some nice port covers for the USB port and headphone jack; though they are a little fiddly to close all the way.

The back of the Incipio doesn't cover the rear buttons at all, it's just left open, which could be nice if you like the feel of the G2's buttons as they are. But with the Otterbox, the buttons are covered and I think actually gives a better feel for where the power button is. Both cases also feel only slightly more grippy than no case. The Otterbox probably feels a bit more slippery than the Incipio, but not by much. And the Incipio feels like it sticks in the pocket worse. The Incipio also seems to hold on to lint/dust from pockets far worse.

Lastly, the Otterbox feels decidedly like it would protect the phone much better than the Incipio. On the exposed soft cover parts of the Otterbox on the sides, you can actually squeeze them and feel the air-gap where shocks would be absorbed. The Otterbox actually dampens the phone vibration feature a bit, so you can really tell it could take a drop. And it dosen't feel at all more bulky than the Incipio because of it.
LG G2 (LS980) - Stock, Rooted
Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteZero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdafoundingmember
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 34
Yea the otterbox it's solid but it ruins the feel of the phones slimness. ..I guess I will use if I ever go rock climbing though

Sent from my LG-D803 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

zathus
Old
Thanks Meter 289
I'm not quoting that lol but I agree the one issue with the duelpro is the soft rubber on the bottom. Tops not to bad but it could definitely be more ridged.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to zathus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tiguy99
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Thanks! I was waiting for this thread as i was considering buying an incipio case a month ago
- LG G2 32GB (white)
- HTC Sensation 4G (project phone)

- Motorola Atrix HD (Sold but not forgotten)
- HTC One XL (still in the family)
- Samsung galaxy s2 T-mobile Jedi Mind Trick v9 ROM (sold)
- iPhone 4 white unlocked (sold)
- iPhone 3G 16GB (sold)
- iphone Unlocked (sold)
- T-Mobile Dash (Sold)
- Verizon Motorola Q (Sold) <--- best phone I
had before the iphone

evasi0n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks!
Some pictures?

thecycleoflife
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Interesting. I have the Verizon version and the main reason I got the Incipio Dual Pro is because the soft inner silicone portion of the case covers up the smaller back buttons. This makes it easier to discern the smaller Verizon power button from the volume buttons.

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to thecycleoflife For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WhiteZero
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasi0n View Post
Thanks!
Some pictures?
Someone post some pic of the Otterbox here. And the pics on Incipio's site are spot-on I'd say.
LG G2 (LS980) - Stock, Rooted
Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

dakster111
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yeah the rubber top and bottom is a little annoying in gathering pocket lint, but otherwise id say I like the incipio a little more because it feels smoother in my hand.