Too much stress - need a time out

Search This thread

Sinistertensai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 10, 2010
Boston
Google Pixel 6
Howdy folks.

I enjoy being able to help out around here, I really do. But I think it's time for me to take a step back. Being on here shouldn't be stressful; it should be fun. This is my hobby; it's supposed to be fun. But when I go through a lot of trouble to put information in my posts and try to explain things, only to have people ask questions that have been answered over and over again, it gets extremely frustrating. I understand not everyone has the same aptitude for this stuff, but anyone that decides to be here has chosen to learn more about their device. They want to get the most out of it. To do that, will require reading and learning. Searching. Reading more. I just want to encourage everyone that wants to learn to read. And if you don't want to learn - if you just want quick answers to quick problems - then you may be in the wrong place. I think there are other, more "noob-friendly" forums, but this place is where the information gets deep. So while you might not know how to do everything, or understand what all the terms mean, at least give it a shot if you're going to be here. This community is built by people that may have started out knowing nothing (like me), but after years of reading and learning, they find ways to contribute. I hope someday everyone can get to that point. I hope that I've helped some of you get there.

But I am daily inundated with PMs of questions answered in the forum. I am not a shortcut to prevent you from having to search. My time is valuable, just like everyone else's. Use the forum. That's what it's here for. It's how I learned.

I'll probably still pop in here and there, but I'm going to try to be around less. I just see a lot of arbitrary information being spoken, information incorrect and not fact-based, and it frustrates me. So, maybe once my frustration dies down, I'll be more inclined to contribute more, but right now, I think it's time for a break.

drumwizard

Feb 3, 2013
I like the demerit concept, but as for the devs inviting people to post, that might grow cumbersome as it might put more burden on them, but maybe for each thread you will have read only access to it, then if you want write access you'll have to request permission and maybe a mod will grant/deny you su access to the thread...but I do know it's growing tired of redundant questions, half of the mods or edits i don't do, but I still keep up with the progress in numerous threads, some of these people are just lazy and don't want to put forth the effort and try to find the answers themselves.

Just my opinion though...

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
I like the demerit concept, but as for the devs inviting people to post, that might grow cumbersome as it might put more burden on them, but maybe for each thread you will have read only access to it, then if you want write access you'll have to request permission and maybe a mod will grant/deny you su access to the thread...but I do know it's growing tired of redundant questions, half of the mods or edits i don't do, but I still keep up with the progress in numerous threads, some of these people are just lazy and don't want to put forth the effort and try to find the answers themselves.

I can see that going wrong pretty quickly, though. You can never predict who's going to ask the lazy questions vs. somebody who has a legitimate interest in testing or having trouble with their specific situation. Granting or denying access to a thread would be arbitrary and cumbersome. Or sometimes it's just an honest mistake. I have read every post of Cap's thread, the 5.5 thread, the RUU thread, the AOSP threads, basically everything dealing with the new 4.3 partition frontier, but I still got snapped at at least three times by Cap and Sin (I think) for asking what I thought were legitimate questions (among a number of other posts that were at least tolerated from me). I'm not blaming either of them or anybody else for that, but I do think it was a matter of perception about where my questions were coming from coupled with the growing stress of Cap in particular not choosing his battles as well as he probably wishes he had. You can tell his heart is in development from that alone. I think back to some other devs on other devices who would release a ROM and you'd see maybe a handful of posts from them in the rest of the thread even after a hundred pages.

I have a wife and 3 kids, I'm a teacher, I do extra work on the side almost every day, and I have several commitments outside of all of that. I'd love to know the ins and outs of decompiling a framework jar and tweaking it myself, but I don't have much time to learn all of that (or when I do, it takes a while because I'm really out of practice). I'm competent but self-trained on things like editing code and installing things in a Linux-based environment. I can learn it, but sometimes things that seem obvious to other devs are things I simply haven't learned yet.

Case in point: I was trying to replace my SystemUI.apk early on in the 4.3 stock ROM days. I couldn't get Sin's version to stick without getting repeated FC's on boot. I searched. Then I started a thread, got suggestions on checking permissions, I read up on other threads and other forums about how sometimes you have to copy it to /system then chmod it, then copy it to /app. Nothing worked. Finally, I realized I needed the sig-check-disabled services.jar in order to make this work. Now I know, and it seems obvious once I learned what that actually does. I'm sure somebody reading this will call me an idiot for not knowing that to begin with, but I simply never learned it, and Sin's post was literally "if you don't know what this is, don't use it, don't ask questions." It turns out I didn't know what it was, but I DID need it to accomplish what I wanted to do. A line in the post like "this is needed to make changes to system apps" would have saved me days of searching and frustration. Other people know what it was for, but I never learned it. Sin was well within his rights to offer the file with no explanation or guarantees, but I would suggest that that's also just begging for somebody to ask the questions you don't want to answer, maybe repeatedly. But if Sin or anybody else just wants to develop for himself and other devs, that's his choice. This will all trickle down into the next ROMs that somebody makes and bakes them into, and maybe that's the preferred path. I can't say that's right or wrong, just opinion.

Of course I realize that devs have lives outside of XDA as well, and I totally respect that. I appreciate their hard work, and I understand the frustration that comes along with it when it's taken for granted. I'm not arguing with that at all. Again, I'm a teacher. I know what it's like to explain something and then have the exact same question asked again. It happens to me every day. But when somebody is honestly trying to get their head around it for clarification, instead of just coming up after ignoring me the first time I said it, I understand that they just want to learn and are coming to me because I'm the natural person to go to. But if that lazy person came up and I just decided to stop talking to the rest of the class for the rest of the week, a lot of people doing their best would suffer for the mistakes of that one person.

I know I'm rambling, so I want to summarize: I appreciate the work of all of our devs. I understand the frustration they encounter. I also understand that XDA breeds condescension for some reason, and sometimes it brings out the worst in people who might otherwise be patient and helpful. As a person caught somewhere between clueless user and developer, I get caught in that crossfire sometimes. I'm defending myself, but I'm also defending the devs. If Cap needs a break because he was getting sucked in and feeling overwhelmed, I think that's the responsible decision. This is a forum based on modding our phones. If somebody gets to the point that their emotions are leaking into what should otherwise be objective discourse and problem solving, it's probably time to step back and gain some perspective. My opinion is that, if a question seems silly or not worth the effort to answer, just ignore it. If you know the answer, answer it, or post a link, or feel free to ignore it if you think the person should just keep searching. But if your natural response is to want to berate or belittle somebody for asking the question, then the question is probably not worth responding to in the first place. Save your energy for the good work you can do for the community. Do it because you love it. Don't feed the trolls, even the unintentional ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: stovo06 and beerbq

Rammv

Oct 18, 2011
Thank you Captain for all your work and support for us that you have helped learn all about this android craziness. Good Luck and hope to hear from you in the near future.

louched1

Aug 21, 2012
A shame to see you go Captain, you are one of the biggest assests around these parts. Enjoy your time off and thanks for all you've done.

gmoe65

Jun 22, 2011
Charlotte
I just like to say THANK YOU very much for all that you've help me with and the awesome work that you do :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

1st, Thank You Captain. You've been a tremendous help to me (and everyone here I'm sure) since I've joined XDA.
2nd, I've been guilty of this multiple times. However, I try to answer questions on my own first and only ask if necessary. I was taught at a very young age that handing things to people (including answers) is a very real form of abuse and eventually handicaps people. No one will ever learn anything if everything is handed to us.
I will say sometimes I just want to be part of a thread lol. Or use keep one alive.

Thanks again very much for a all your valuable contributions.

Sent from my ViperEVO

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy folks.

I enjoy being able to help out around here, I really do. But I think it's time for me to take a step back. Being on here shouldn't be stressful; it should be fun. This is my hobby; it's supposed to be fun. But when I go through a lot of trouble to put information in my posts and try to explain things, only to have people ask questions that have been answered over and over again, it gets extremely frustrating. I understand not everyone has the same aptitude for this stuff, but anyone that decides to be here has chosen to learn more about their device. They want to get the most out of it. To do that, will require reading and learning. Searching. Reading more. I just want to encourage everyone that wants to learn to read. And if you don't want to learn - if you just want quick answers to quick problems - then you may be in the wrong place. I think there are other, more "noob-friendly" forums, but this place is where the information gets deep. So while you might not know how to do everything, or understand what all the terms mean, at least give it a shot if you're going to be here. This community is built by people that may have started out knowing nothing (like me), but after years of reading and learning, they find ways to contribute. I hope someday everyone can get to that point. I hope that I've helped some of you get there.

But I am daily inundated with PMs of questions answered in the forum. I am not a shortcut to prevent you from having to search. My time is valuable, just like everyone else's. Use the forum. That's what it's here for. It's how I learned.

I'll probably still pop in here and there, but I'm going to try to be around less. I just see a lot of arbitrary information being spoken, information incorrect and not fact-based, and it frustrates me. So, maybe once my frustration dies down, I'll be more inclined to contribute more, but right now, I think it's time for a break.
    Thank you!

It is sad when something you love becomes a daily function and no longer is a passion. I never post on these threads, but when I see developers like Sin and Captain looking to walk away from their passion due to the frustration from US, so it is time to THINK BEFORE WE POST. We need to take a step back and solve our own issues on the forums. It is all there on the threads, but we chose to take the easy road and ask simple question instead of taking 5 minutes to google key words or read the thread entirely. I have learned so much from Capt. and Sin and many others like them. I see that they both want a break and they very much deserve time away from the critics as well. We do ask the same questions a half a dozen times within a 50 pg. thread. I have played with my phones just to see it tick from the good old Evo Supersonic (god bless my first love that lead me into these forums) and my current love the Evo Jewel. I look back and have loved bricking my phone, so I can dig deep into these forums and fix. It took me 30 hours of my time researching and yes wanting to throw through a window, but I finally fixed and that was an awesome feeling. The nice thing is that I learned from reading forum or from googling. I never will forget how to unbrick a phone or the tools that allowed me get it working once again. Thank you gentlemen for all your hard work. Enjoy your much needed time off JIM

Howdy folks.

Thank you Captain for everything you have done for the community. I remember you being the man since the OG Evo days. I know if you post something, it can be trusted. I have learned a lot from your posts, and hope I can one day contribute back. It's a shame your hobby was spoiled for you by spoiled users. Hope to see you back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk