Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting Ready For my T-Mobile G2

Tip us?

jcnbama
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Phone [Q] Getting Ready For my T-Mobile G2

Hello Fellow XDA Members,

I am about to purchase my T-Mobile LG G2 as of tomorrow. Coming over from a Nexus 4 rooted / stock / Xposed. I am very excited about. This phone really caught my eye from beginning against the advice of my friends to wait for the Galaxy S5. This is the one I want. Of course there are tons of perks to being rooted and it's usually the first thing I do when I get a new phone. One thing I noticed about this phone is there doesn't seem to be an inclusive *ROOT* thread and I am not sure where to start other than the regular stuff; ADB enabled, drivers installed, etc. Also I know this phone is in sort of a transitional update to Android 4.0 presently (although this doesn't apply to T-Mobile as of this writing). So, I guess what I am looking for is.
1. Can someone link me a solid thread to ROOT instructions for the T-Mobile variant or is it carrier specific? Does it even matter?
2. Are there any special things I should know about like ( I recently helped a friend fix his LG Optimus due to the fact that he did not have an unlocked bootloader, rooted it and uninstalled system apps and got himself in a bootloop / soft brick) because the phone had some special *EVIL* software that would do that without first unlocking the bootloader.
3. Is there any "going back" from root on the LG G2? I mean I was reading something about root detecting, warranty voiding software. So, in other words if I get the device tomorrow and have it rooted by tomorrow night, then over the weekend I notice a weird glitch that would be covered under warranty, am I S.O.L. because I rooted it or can I flash back to stock and unroot and RMA the device?
4. Anything else I should know about that is an issue for the LG G2 during the root / romming process or otherwise.

Also I would like to thank everyone again. Going on my 4th device using only XDA as my source of info and help and still 100% HARD brick free and I plan to keep it that way. IMHO I don't see how people use phones unrooted. Thanks for the help! See you around the forums.

zprovo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnbama View Post
Hello Fellow XDA Members,

I am about to purchase my T-Mobile LG G2 as of tomorrow. Coming over from a Nexus 4 rooted / stock / Xposed. I am very excited about. This phone really caught my eye from beginning against the advice of my friends to wait for the Galaxy S5. This is the one I want. Of course there are tons of perks to being rooted and it's usually the first thing I do when I get a new phone. One thing I noticed about this phone is there doesn't seem to be an inclusive *ROOT* thread and I am not sure where to start other than the regular stuff; ADB enabled, drivers installed, etc. Also I know this phone is in sort of a transitional update to Android 4.0 presently (although this doesn't apply to T-Mobile as of this writing). So, I guess what I am looking for is.
1. Can someone link me a solid thread to ROOT instructions for the T-Mobile variant or is it carrier specific? Does it even matter?
2. Are there any special things I should know about like ( I recently helped a friend fix his LG Optimus due to the fact that he did not have an unlocked bootloader, rooted it and uninstalled system apps and got himself in a bootloop / soft brick) because the phone had some special *EVIL* software that would do that without first unlocking the bootloader.
3. Is there any "going back" from root on the LG G2? I mean I was reading something about root detecting, warranty voiding software. So, in other words if I get the device tomorrow and have it rooted by tomorrow night, then over the weekend I notice a weird glitch that would be covered under warranty, am I S.O.L. because I rooted it or can I flash back to stock and unroot and RMA the device?
4. Anything else I should know about that is an issue for the LG G2 during the root / romming process or otherwise.

Also I would like to thank everyone again. Going on my 4th device using only XDA as my source of info and help and still 100% HARD brick free and I plan to keep it that way. IMHO I don't see how people use phones unrooted. Thanks for the help! See you around the forums.
Awesome phone and great choice I totally agree.

Proceed with caution though, I have extensive experience with android phones and this one has turned into a flourishing source of nightmares for me and is seeming to head towards a total "paperweight" story. This all stems from rooting and recovery installation and such obviously, I am sure if you leave it untouched it is fantastic.

Just make sure you follow things EXACTLY as told.

jcnbama
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zprovo View Post
Awesome phone and great choice I totally agree.

Proceed with caution though, I have extensive experience with android phones and this one has turned into a flourishing source of nightmares for me and is seeming to head towards a total "paperweight" story. This all stems from rooting and recovery installation and such obviously, I am sure if you leave it untouched it is fantastic.

Just make sure you follow things EXACTLY as told.
Well, I'm not one to ever leave anything untouched. What has been the main issue? Finding credible threads? Roms, etc? One thing confusing for me is I've been kinda used to the T-Mobile thread or the AT&T thread. Seems like this is mostly compiled into one with the development section being separated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
If I share something helpful with you along the way, then hit the THANKS button. I am not a developer so that's all I got.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

zprovo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnbama View Post
Well, I'm not one to ever leave anything untouched. What has been the main issue? Finding credible threads? Roms, etc? One thing confusing for me is I've been kinda used to the T-Mobile thread or the AT&T thread. Seems like this is mostly compiled into one with the development section being separated.

Neither am I trust me. i would never sport a locked/crippled/stock device.

There is a lot of info out there honestly. Search for Ioroot and read about that, it's pretty awesome basically an automated rooting software.

Hardest thing for me has been all kind of compatibility/driver issues. Had to use multiple computers, x64 and x86 architectures.

But there are obviously loads of people out there enjoying this phone. I am just part of the select few who had issues.

You should go for it seriously, the display is breathtaking, I have pretty large hands and this is the first time I have had one that feels just perfect in one hand which is huge to me. Can't comment much on the using of it since it only worked for about a day and a half before i wrecked it apparently .

It seems very intuitive though, the camera is really awesome too. Being a photographer I was really impressed by the menu flow and the amount of options you have. Its really amazing that they include cameras like these at the price the phone sells for.

jcnbama
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Is it dangerous to uninstall system apps or LG apps once rooted? On my friends Optimus that's what jacked him up. If you didn't have an unlocked bootloader and you just simply rooted and removed system apps then you would get a soft brick. Is there any similar issues here?

If I share something helpful with you along the way, then hit the THANKS button. I am not a developer so that's all I got.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13