5,597,084 Members 45,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 GPE KitKit 4.4.x Problem--com.android.phone Stopping at Boot

Tip us?
 
highvista
Old
#1  
highvista's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 208
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Default [Q] Galaxy S4 GPE KitKit 4.4.x Problem--com.android.phone Stopping at Boot

Under both Android KitKit 4.4 and now 4.4.2, when I reboot my Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition phone, I am getting an error box as soon as the lock screen shows up that says "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped." I hit okay and continue and am seeing no other problems, but it is annoying and a bit disturbing. This happened both before and after rooting and installing CWM recovery. I am running a stock installation.

Has anyone else seen this and/or know of a fix? Thanks much
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition (GT-I9505G)
Cell Network: T-Mobile
ROM: Android 4.4.2 KOT49H.S001.131204 (Stock)
Kernel: 3.4.0-2270815 (Stock)
Root: Yes, via Unlocked Bootloader and SuperSU-v1.80
Radio: I9505GUEUCML4 (Stock)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
 
toastido
Old
#2  
toastido's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 213
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntsville, AL

 
DONATE TO ME
Try cache wipe. If that doesn't work try factory reset. If that still doesn't work, try reflashing back to stock

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to toastido For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
highvista
Old
#3  
highvista's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 208
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
I wanted to follow up with what I did to fix this problem. As suggested, I did wipe cache, which didn't help. I then did a factory reset via CWM recovery. To my surprise, this didn't fix the problem initially. Upon boot, I still received the app stopping message. But I found a thread in another forum that showed others having this problem, also noting that a factory reset didn't fix the problem. But one report said that continuing through to sign into Google after the reset had fixed this person's problem. Sure enough, the same worked for me. There is another report that says just resetting app preferences would also fix the problem, but I had already done the factory reset and thus didn't have a chance to test this.

The thread in the other forum is here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...g-out-now.html

Also, here is the logcat stack dump indicating the problem with com.android.phone:

I/BrcmNfcNfa( 1368): GKI TASK_DEAD received. exit thread 3...
D/AndroidRuntime( 1363): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 1363): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4159ad40)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): Process: com.android.phone, PID: 1363
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.BaseCommands.unSetO nSs(BaseCommands.java:464)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.gsm.GSMPhone.dispos e(GSMPhone.java:266)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.deleteAn dCreatePhone(PhoneProxy.java:261)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.phoneObj ectUpdater(PhoneProxy.java:217)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.handleMe ssage(PhoneProxy.java:127)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:10 2)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.jav a:5050)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCa ller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1264)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit .java:1080)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition (GT-I9505G)
Cell Network: T-Mobile
ROM: Android 4.4.2 KOT49H.S001.131204 (Stock)
Kernel: 3.4.0-2270815 (Stock)
Root: Yes, via Unlocked Bootloader and SuperSU-v1.80
Radio: I9505GUEUCML4 (Stock)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
The Following User Says Thank You to highvista For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MattyDip
Old
(Last edited by MattyDip; 31st January 2014 at 09:08 PM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 577
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvista View Post
I wanted to follow up with what I did to fix this problem. As suggested, I did wipe cache, which didn't help. I then did a factory reset via CWM recovery. To my surprise, this didn't fix the problem initially. Upon boot, I still received the app stopping message. But I found a thread in another forum that showed others having this problem, also noting that a factory reset didn't fix the problem. But one report said that continuing through to sign into Google after the reset had fixed this person's problem. Sure enough, the same worked for me. There is another report that says just resetting app preferences would also fix the problem, but I had already done the factory reset and thus didn't have a chance to test this.

The thread in the other forum is here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...g-out-now.html

Also, here is the logcat stack dump indicating the problem with com.android.phone:

I/BrcmNfcNfa( 1368): GKI TASK_DEAD received. exit thread 3...
D/AndroidRuntime( 1363): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 1363): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4159ad40)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): Process: com.android.phone, PID: 1363
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.BaseCommands.unSetO nSs(BaseCommands.java:464)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.gsm.GSMPhone.dispos e(GSMPhone.java:266)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.deleteAn dCreatePhone(PhoneProxy.java:261)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.phoneObj ectUpdater(PhoneProxy.java:217)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy.handleMe ssage(PhoneProxy.java:127)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:10 2)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.jav a:5050)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCa ller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1264)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit .java:1080)
E/AndroidRuntime( 1363): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
I have the same problem and a factory reset didn't fixed it. Can you explain me better how to fix this problem without doing a factory reset again please? Thanks

Ok, I restored apps preferences but the problem is still there.
 
highvista
Old
#5  
highvista's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 208
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDip View Post
I have the same problem and a factory reset didn't fixed it. Can you explain me better how to fix this problem without doing a factory reset again please? Thanks

Ok, I restored apps preferences but the problem is still there.
For me, it was the factory reset and logging into Google that fixed the problem, so I can't give any more details on the non-reset fix, unfortunately.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition (GT-I9505G)
Cell Network: T-Mobile
ROM: Android 4.4.2 KOT49H.S001.131204 (Stock)
Kernel: 3.4.0-2270815 (Stock)
Root: Yes, via Unlocked Bootloader and SuperSU-v1.80
Radio: I9505GUEUCML4 (Stock)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
The Following User Says Thank You to highvista For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MattyDip
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 577
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvista View Post
For me, it was the factory reset and logging into Google that fixed the problem, so I can't give any more details on the non-reset fix, unfortunately.
I did a factory reset, logged with Google and the problem is still there
 
Guntharia
Old
#7  
Guntharia's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 28
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oakland
I dont have the message popping up but I did notice when i try to go to settings to check my connection to sprint that I get com.android.phone crashing when I hit carrier settings. I have been very annoyed by this as it also affects my text messaging where I am limited to only sending one text. Like I get the countdown for remaining words and it wont let me type anymore.

I am so annoyed at this and not being able to fix it that I might boot back to stock ROM. But is this an issue with version 4.4 kitkat or is this a cwm recovery error? I am a bit confused from reading different peoples problems of where this error is actually coming from. Will going back to stock actually fix the problem? or am I screwed since I rooted my phone and installed a aftermarket ROM already?

Thank You
 
funvin
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanks highvista! I had the same problem on my S4 GPE and resetting app preferences and rebooting fixed it. Didn't have to hard reset the phone. <rant>Now if only I can figure out how to get my app store to download apps, and G maps to speak out street names in turn by turn nav, I'll be a happy customer. And this is stock android 4.4.2 without any rooting or custom ROMs. Sometimes I wonder why I switched from iphone.</rant>
 
mostyle1
Old
#9  
mostyle1's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Wont read SIM

Greetings..
I see that I'm not the only one with this issue although mine has kinda resolved now, but I cant get the SIM to work.. Android just wont read it..
It actually happende after I rooted my GS4/I9506(which went fine and I uninstalled alot of apps with link2SD), after restart the com.android.phone has stopped msg kept on popping up on the screen in addition to 'Unfortunately, Messages has stopped' when trying to send sms. So I re-rooted it again, still wouldnt stop. Rebooted with vol. up key + power button, selected to reset to factory, and it doesnt pop up anymore (the com.android.phone has stopped msg) but I still get the Messages has stopped when I'm trying to write messages.

Another thing is that it wont read the SIM, so I suspect an issue lies with reading the micro-SIM. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, I've tried to select Mobile Networks through the Settings, but it says 'Insert SIM card to access network services'.

If anyone has come with a solution to this, let us know.
"The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts his sails."

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes