Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire HD 2013 root

Tip us?

sandman83cu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kindle Fire HD 2013 root

hi guys, I live in Cuba and just received a kindle fire HD 2013 as a gift. Access to information about the kindle is very difficult here. could anyone please tell me if there is anyway to root the device and install android 4.2.2? What little number of posts I have managed to open tell me it's not possible yet. is this true? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
Root is possible, flashing other ROMs is not. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kelevra7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Root is possible, flashing other ROMs is not. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736

Hi.

I've followed this method down to the letter and still no root. Any ideas?

I test it by trying to edit the hosts file to prevent auto updating to no avail. I've also tried some other root functions in ES File Explorer and they have not worked.

Also, in your opinion will flashing other ROMs be possible in the future or is it unlikely? I'm just wondering whether I should check back every so often or should I not bother?

Thanks,

K
Samsung S3
GT - I9300
Android 4.4.2
CM-11-M2-i9300

Rooted KFSOWI
Serial No: 00D2-XXXX
Firmware: 11.3.1.0

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
I seriously doubt we are going to unlock the bootloader, it just doesn't seek worth it on this particular device because we have 3 or 4 other model kindles already available to flash and they technically have better features on them like HDMI and a camera, so I would think someone would be more intersected in the HDX's if anything, and who knows an exploit on them might work with the bootloader on the 2013, but no guarantees on that as the CPU and hardware is different so I'm assuming the bootloader quite different.

As to your problem with rooting, give me some feedback or a log of the terminal output so I have an idea of what happened, I don't have a 2013 model so I have never attempted its rooting process, but I can probably help with errors. Oh and for the record, on a command print you can right click in the window, hit mark, highlight as much of the text as you want, hit enter and it copies it to the clipboard so you can paste it into code brackets here. Most people don't see. To know this for some reason and just screenshot the command prompt... Seems kinda basic that any windows app has basic copy and paste functionality in it. Lemme end this post before I start ranting about how Linux has even better copy and paste support.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

SC-06D User
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default hi

hey, did you root your kindle? if you do , please let me know