5,606,650 Members 36,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Magnetic cradle-less car mount + NFC + Qi?

Tip us?
 
Dlnp22
Old
#1  
Dlnp22's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Magnetic cradle-less car mount + NFC + Qi?

SURELY there's a way

I ruined myself by getting this fantastic mount from Infiniapps( http://tw.gs/RbW8aZ ). It has a small magnet you pop in between your phone and case, that clings to the magnetic mount. Best mount I've ever used...EVER.

However, I (very recently) have been toying around with NFC for the first time. I've also got the wireless bug and want to purchase a receiver and pad(s) very soon.

My obvious issue? Trying to make this small magnet work around the NFC-supported wireless receiver(using the trick of peeling off the aluminum front/back of said receiver.)

I know metal screws up NFC functionality....but does a magnet affect NFC at all? And another question- do magnets OR metal surfaces have any impact on Qi wireless charging capability? I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I pull out my wallet.

I haven't been this enthralled with a phone since I purchased the first OG Motorola Droid

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!
 
bubblesmoney
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 133
Posts: 437
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's been done already http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-air-dock

But nfc not yet there.
android devices / accessories / apps / tips ... among other things that interest me can be seen on these videos or youtube playlists ...
my video uploads https://www.youtube.com/user/veryannoyingname/videos
my play lists http://www.youtube.com/user/veryanno...ow=grid&view=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubblesmoney For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dlnp22
Old
#3  
Dlnp22's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesmoney View Post
It's been done already http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-air-dock

But nfc not yet there.
Gorgeous. I saw something similiar awhile back, but the project fell apart.

Thanks for the link!
 
Dlnp22
Old
#4  
Dlnp22's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Oddly enough, I'm able to get NFC, wireless charging AND the magnetic car mount to work at the same time.

On my S4, I've got fone salesman's slim Qi receiver insert inside the battery cover, and a small magnetic plate between the case and battery door, just below the flash bulb.

Both wireless charging and NFC are working. Pleasantly surprised.
 
itslinx
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 187
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesmoney View Post
It's been done already http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-air-dock

But nfc not yet there.
Ahh that's awesome.
 
1454
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 802
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlnp22 View Post
Oddly enough, I'm able to get NFC, wireless charging AND the magnetic car mount to work at the same time.

On my S4, I've got fone salesman's slim Qi receiver insert inside the battery cover, and a small magnetic plate between the case and battery door, just below the flash bulb.

Both wireless charging and NFC are working. Pleasantly surprised.
Can you post what you are using?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Dlnp22
Old
#7  
Dlnp22's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1454 View Post
Can you post what you are using?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sorry took so long to respond. I don't have any standalone cameras to take photos of my phone/battery case, but I'm using the following:

-fonesalesman's Qi thin wireless receiver insert(with the foil front/back stickers peeled off
-infiniapps magnetic/cradless mount(fits in cd player)

Inside the battery case, I put the Qi receiver in place. I then cut the magnet plate in half(that comes with the magnetic mount). and Placed it JUST below the flash(and overtop the Qi receiver). The back battery case closes just fine.

I'm able to read NFC tags easily(the battery can read through the Qi receiver, and there are two NFC contact points on the actual Qi receiver that read NFC, as well), and the Qi receiver picks up wireless charging base EASILY. The half of the magnetic plate is plenty enough to stay on the cradle base perfectly. No drops.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dlnp22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tenchi71
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 45
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Deatsville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlnp22 View Post
Sorry took so long to respond. I don't have any standalone cameras to take photos of my phone/battery case, but I'm using the following:

-fonesalesman's Qi thin wireless receiver insert(with the foil front/back stickers peeled off
-infiniapps magnetic/cradless mount(fits in cd player)

Inside the battery case, I put the Qi receiver in place. I then cut the magnet plate in half(that comes with the magnetic mount). and Placed it JUST below the flash(and overtop the Qi receiver). The back battery case closes just fine.

I'm able to read NFC tags easily(the battery can read through the Qi receiver, and there are two NFC contact points on the actual Qi receiver that read NFC, as well), and the Qi receiver picks up wireless charging base EASILY. The half of the magnetic plate is plenty enough to stay on the cradle base perfectly. No drops.
What are you using for the qi wireless transmitter/charger in the car? The infiniapps dock doesn't have one built in.
 
Dlnp22
Old
#9  
Dlnp22's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchi71 View Post
What are you using for the qi wireless transmitter/charger in the car? The infiniapps dock doesn't have one built in.
I'm charging wireless in the car. In my opinion, there's NOTHING that can keep your phone from tanking on battery when you're running bluetooth, GPS and have brightness up(daytime). Always run wired in the car. Go on Amazon and get the "motorola fast charge" charger. Fastest car charger I've ever used.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Speed up the ROM or Kernel Build Process

Creating a kernel, ROM, or any other development projectrequires knowledge and tools. While … more

Google Glass Now Open to Anyone… with $1500 to Spend (Update: Not Anymore)

Google Glass, which recently received its official update … more

Android 4.4.2 OTA Now Available for the Verizon Droid DNA

A couple of days ago, we talked about how the Android 4.4.2 upgrade for the HTC … more