IMPORTANT: Dev & Retail S4 owners!

Tip us?

Skeetch79
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
Ok, I played around with it some more.

I installed using TWRP 2502 and got same results: black screen.

I then pulled battery and went back into recovery and installed Ktoonsez kernel: boot up occurred, Message indicator lit, I felt the familiar "thump" of the OS loading and I heard the VZW boot sound! Touch screen buttons also lit. When I pressed them, the familiar Samsung drop sound emanated. But, blank screen!

It appears the ROM boots but no visualization.

So, didn't need SS and got better results but no display and it seems like something is running. Weird, huh?
Thank you for trying this out for me. I am going to bail on this project - I am having signal issues still and I am not a developer, just an Organic Chemist with a wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs........maybe on a rainy day I will pick this back up. sorry these didn't work for you, but thanks again for trying them out. As far as your space issue, maybe the impartial downloads (when you were trying to download the ROM) have accumulated somewhere?

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Ok, another weird thing: I have lost most of my INTERNAL CARD space! Am down to 1 GB and I am normally at 6. All backups are on my external.

I "seem" to remember when using SS back in the Bionic days, it was discovered leftover or unnecessary files were accumulating "somewhere" and had to be wiped.

For the life of me I can't remember where or what?

I also seem to remember one of the recoveries had an option to wipe free space......

I have uninstalled SS recovery and uninstalled the SS app..so something has accumulated.
Stupid question, before you uninstalled recovery and the app, did you delete the ROM slot?
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeetch79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2158

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetch79 View Post
Thank you for trying this out for me. I am going to bail on this project - I am having signal issues still and I am not a developer, just an Organic Chemist with a wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs........maybe on a rainy day I will pick this back up. sorry these didn't work for you, but thanks again for trying them out. As far as your space issue, maybe the impartial downloads (when you were trying to download the ROM) have accumulated somewhere?

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Stupid question, before you uninstalled recovery and the app, did you delete the ROM slot?
Dude. I used to solve synthesis problems out of boredom. Loved orgo, I should've went into chem instead of bio. Sometimes I sit and think "how is it I can imagine, calculate, and explain complex reactions between molecules, yet cant figure out how this damn bootloader works" lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Skeetch79
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge1223 View Post
Dude. I used to solve synthesis problems out of boredom. Loved orgo, I should've went into chem instead of bio. Sometimes I sit and think "how is it I can imagine, calculate, and explain complex reactions between molecules, yet cant figure out how this damn bootloader works" lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
LOL. That is awesome! Well maybe if we mix some bootloader, with some Sodium Hydroxide and then heat it to boiling, it will unlock it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeetch79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2158

DONATE TO ME
OK! I need another dev aboot from either OYUEMK2, or OYUEMJ7!

adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/sdcard/devaboot.mbn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

markwebb
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:

Yes I believe I did. Using root explorer I have been scouring every folder. So far I can't find the folder containing lots of data . Is there a hidden system folder?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
OG Droid >>> Droid Bionic >>> Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition/Nexus 5/MOTO X
Samsung Chromebook
Nexus 7 2013
Chromecast

Skeetch79
Old
(Last edited by Skeetch79; 25th February 2014 at 03:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Yes I believe I did. Using root explorer I have been scouring every folder. So far I can't find the folder containing lots of data . Is there a hidden system folder?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
You can use something like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer (paid) and enable the option to view hidden files. I do not believe this is the case.

EDIT: Found it: Use a root explorer to Navigate to /data/media/safestrap/ and you will see the rom-slot folders if there are any. If you are not using safestrap anymore why not just delete the safestrap folder from data/media?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeetch79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

markwebb
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
You can use something like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer (paid) and enable the option to view hidden files. I do not believe this is the case.

EDIT: Found it: Use a root explorer to Navigate to /data/media/safestrap/ and you will see the rom-slot folders if there are any. If you are not using safestrap anymore why not just delete the safestrap folder from data/media?
BINGO!! that did it. Thanks so much. I guess I didn't drill down enough beyond the data folder: never thought "media" folder would be the SS holder/culprit.

Also, I am "pretty sure" I deleted the ROM slot before I uninstalled SS Recovery...but anyways, you found it.

Am now back to 6+ GB.
OG Droid >>> Droid Bionic >>> Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition/Nexus 5/MOTO X
Samsung Chromebook
Nexus 7 2013
Chromecast
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markwebb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 654
Skeetch79 and Surge1223 you guys make me feel dumb lol
I drive a Peterbilt with 18 gears and 600HP for a living... I should have took school more seriously

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pyroman512
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Skeetch79 and Surge1223 you guys make me feel dumb lol
I drive a Peterbilt with 18 gears and 600HP for a living... I should have took school more seriously

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You make me feel jealous, cause I can't do that at all. I'm actually an aerospace engineer and I still can't wrap my head around all this android security stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to pyroman512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]