New 98.72.165.en.US update!! What's included!

Search This thread

Gillroyale

Apr 3, 2013
Help

I did a factory data reset via settings/privacy and it didn't unroot my device, which is both upsetting and immensely satisfying lol. I love being rooted but I need this update. So I tried voodoos ota rootkeeper to temp unroot and install the update and it still didn't work. I love being rooted but I need this update and I don't have a computer anymore. How can I unroot without a computer? And I need a FULL factory data reset back to stock out of box state because I don't understand what's not letting the update install. Need a clean slate. I saw some apps on play store that offer 1 click unroot. Do they work? Could I just temp unroot with voodoos ota rootkeeper and factory reset via settings/privacy? Please help me I'm lost now.

soundgirl101

Oct 5, 2012
Zephyrhills
:good: Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper will work perfectly!! Install app, verify it likes your "root"!! It will offer a Google Play Store option when you check apps status, it is not needed, if everything is checked, temp unroot, root, repeat so that a "protected" root copy is saved!! Then temp unroot, take OTA update, reboot, got to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and restore root!! PROFIT!! :good::D

Trailblazer4

Feb 13, 2014
Unable to root after latest update

Just installed the latest update on my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX! And I thought VzW & Moto forgot about us! It's still rockin Android 4.1.2 but maybe something else got improved! Off I go to factory reset to improve speed & stability! Anyone know what this update includes!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium HD app

I just bought this phone and just received the 11.21.13 OTA Update on my Razr MAXX. I tried to root using Saferoot, and no go. Any ideas?!? Very frustrating..

soundgirl101

Oct 5, 2012
Zephyrhills
I just bought this phone and just received the 11.21.13 OTA Update on my Razr MAXX. I tried to root using Saferoot, and no go. Any ideas?!? Very frustrating..

:good: Use Matt's utility to root device, will root latest update with no issues!! Having issues taking update?? Option 2 in Matt's utility will reflash stock 4.1.2, and KEEP existing data!! Now you can take update, root or reroot phone as needed!! Either way Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper should be installed to keep "protected" root ("su binary") copy on device!! Have posted link to Matt's utility!! :good:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192467

Last edited:

mepaulk

Feb 27, 2014
:good: Use Matt's utility to root device, will root latest update with no issues!! Having issues taking update?? Option 2 in Matt's utility will reflash stock 4.1.2, and KEEP existing data!! Now you can take update, root or reroot phone as needed!! Either way Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper should be installed to keep "protected" root ("su binary") copy on device!! Have posted link to Matt's utility!! :good:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192467

Does this mean a Droid Razr Maxx, that has never been rooted, and has just gotten the OTA 98.72.165.en.US, be rooted using Matt's utility? I have been holding off on installing the update, as I want to root my phone. I had the impression the existing root methods would not work after the latest update, unless the phone was already rooted, root saved with Voodoo, then take the PTA update, and finally reroot.
I have not had an opportunity to perform a root, as I keep reading various forms about rooting, and have not been able to decide which is the latest, and simplest method. I have become confused about the differences between Matt's utility, drbliss's, and Razorblade, etc, etc.and which to use.
Any comments about the above will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
mepaulk

tygib

Sep 20, 2011
How do we stop the notifications on this? TiBu won't freeze without the pro paid version. :(

jlewis74

Oct 8, 2010
This update made my device very slow and the google search function does not work anymore. Going to try factory reset, if that does not work will go back and reflash prior version and not take the update.

josuearisty

Dec 4, 2010
Somewhere!
This update made my device very slow and the google search function does not work anymore. Going to try factory reset, if that does not work will go back and reflash prior version and not take the update.

The update made my device being more slow than it was before the update. Im thinking about flashing sbf again and start from the begining and not update to this version.

Enviado desde mi DROID RAZR mediante Tapatalk

Just FYI for anyone recently upgrading their RAZR to PagePlus with 4G:
Use Matt's Droid RAZR Utility to completely wipe the phone and reinstall stock ROM. Activate your phone. Don't install any updates - don't do anything else.
Then use the Droid RAZR Utility to root your phone. Right after rooting, install the Voodoo Root Keeper and backup your root. Then temporarily unroot and install the Verizon update. After the Verizon update completes, use Voodoo Root Keeper to restore your root. Then reboot. Then use the Droid RAZR Utility to install SafeStrap. After the utility finishes, go to your app drawer and open the SafeStrap app and install the recovery. Once that's all done, reboot. After rebooting and making sure everything works and that you still have root, reboot and select the recovery (press menu when prompted at boot screen) and go into recovery and make a backup of your fresh install. Then you can add ROMs and all that jazz and get on with your life.

Don't bother trying the Verizon update without having your root backed up with Root Keeper. The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit won't work after the Verizon update and you'll have to go back through the whole process again - wipe/reinstall/root/backup-root/update/restore-root.

Reactions: pearlheartgtr

2southwind

Nov 5, 2013
issue

Hi there, i have one problem with my xt912, when I install stock rom, with rsd lit or razr blade, boots normally, has a good signal, but cant send or receive sms and calls, or if I'll receive sms, its after half an hour or such, can u guys tell me what to do? I am gsm user, and i have tried several stock roms, but same result

MArtyChubbs

Don't bother trying the Verizon update without having your root backed up with Root Keeper. The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit won't work after the Verizon update and you'll have to go back through the whole process again - wipe/reinstall/root/backup-root/update/restore-root.

Well, that statement is factually incorrect. First, take out SD card, then clear data for smart actions in system settings>apps>all. Then run the exploit, #3 in the RAZR utility. Upon the first reboot, If you hold down pwr, vol up, vol down at the same time, then select BP only. Finally, continue to follow the steps listed in the exploit. You will be rooted.

So, in summary:
The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit WILL work if you "BP only" in the middle of the first boot. This is the fastest way to root your phone after the NEW 98.72.165 update.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got update on my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX! And I thought VzW & Moto forgot about us! Still on Android 4.1.2 but maybe something else got improved! Off I go to factory reset to improve speed & stability! Anyone know what this update includes!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium HD app

You don't ned to factory reset to do the update. And it is only a small update to fix roaming and some radio improvements. Not that bad at all.
    I was rooted and on a custom ROM. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app from Play Store to backup root, temporarily unroot and then take the new OTA update.
    Once update was complete and phone rebooted, I went back into VooDoo and restored root. I did another reboot to fully restore root privileges. And all is good again. And stock ROM has new update and I can still go and use a custom ROM if desired.
    Hope this helps ya.

Well, that statement is factually incorrect. First, take out SD card, then clear data for smart actions in system settings>apps>all. Then run the exploit, #3 in the RAZR utility. Upon the first reboot, If you hold down pwr, vol up, vol down at the same time, then select BP only. Finally, continue to follow the steps listed in the exploit. You will be rooted.

So, in summary:
    The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit WILL work if you "BP only" in the middle of the first boot. This is the fastest way to root your phone after the NEW 98.72.165 update.
    Has anyone actually seen improvement from this yet.. Because if its radio improvement I pretty sure we didn't need one. When I have full 4G signal there is no other devices faster.. I've compared the xt912 to the HTC DNA and One, Samsung Galaxy Note, and the new Droid line as well as many others including the N4 and 5 and the xt912 beats them by a large margin every time .. Wouldn't be worth the update if that went backwards! Just curious if anyone actual noticed improvement before I let this update fly!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but the radio needed MAJOR improvement. The 3G/4G radio may have been fine, but the BT radio was a problem. Ever since the first JB update, the only apps that work through my car's BT are the stock music app and Poweramp. Everything worked great in ICS. I've read numerous posts with people having the same issues with various makes and models of cars.

EDIT: Survival mode in Super SU Pro worked great with this update.
    You and me both! Ever since JB, BT functions with my car stereo have been severely limited. I have to turn off BT to use navigation or any other app that isn't either the stock music app or Poweramp. Unfortunately, this update didn't change a thing. :(
    That's odd. my BT works fine with car, wireless speakers, wireless headphones, and truck on my xt912
    I don't want this update. My phone is flashed to work with Page Plus and I'm afraid of ruining the flash. I keep getting the reminder and keep selecting "remind me later." I have searched for the update file with ES File Explorer but cannot find it so I'm assuming it won't actually download until I accept the update, which I don't want to do. Will the reminder stop eventually or is there a way to disable it?