Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 36,739 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Still worth to root?

Tip us?

notmilk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Still worth to root?

I have a release date Chromecast sitting on my desk, never opened. but I dont have a OTG cable to root it. with all these new apps supporting Chromecast, is it still worth to buy a OTG cable to root it? thanks!

jasenko
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmilk View Post
I have a release date Chromecast sitting on my desk, never opened. but I dont have a OTG cable to root it. with all these new apps supporting Chromecast, is it still worth to buy a OTG cable to root it? thanks!
I guess it depends what is out there and what you are trying to do. I live outside of the US and rooted mine so I can use a DNS server hack. Who knows, maybe there will be other incentives to do it so still probably a good idea. It is easy to go back to stock if you decide it is not worth it.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
I guess it depends what is out there and what you are trying to do. I live outside of the US and rooted mine so I can use a DNS server hack. Who knows, maybe there will be other incentives to do it so still probably a good idea. It is easy to go back to stock if you decide it is not worth it.
You don't lose anything if you root but as far as I know there's no stock image or way back to stock but I could be wrong.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

jasenko
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
You don't lose anything if you root but as far as I know there's no stock image or way back to stock but I could be wrong.
I think there is a flashcast mod that allows you to receive Google OTA, pretty much meaning that it will overwrite any mods and get you back to stock.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
I think there is a flashcast mod that allows you to receive Google OTA, pretty much meaning that it will overwrite any mods and get you back to stock.
There is a switch to receive the Eureka ROM OTA automatically or not and another use the Eureka ROM or Google whitelist but nothing else.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 825

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
There is a switch to receive the Eureka ROM OTA automatically or not and another use the Eureka ROM or Google whitelist but nothing else.
Correct. Full-stock Google ROM is not posted because it's too easy to make an error - and that particular error would mean losing root with no (current) way to get it back.

tl;dr: Too much danger for people not reading and flashing the wrong one, losing root, then they would whine hard - it's almost as bad as bricking a phone.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

mkhopper
Old
Thanks Meter 11
In my opinion, any piece of hardware that you own, if you feel confident enough to do so, should be rooted / jailbroken / hacked / cracked open / etc.

Sure, there are a lot of sanctioned apps appearing now that the CC has been thrown wide open, but Google will always have their fingers in the mix. Who knows what some bright developer might stumble onto with a rooted device.