Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,443 Members 47,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G TELUS/Koodo rooting update!

Tip us?

ofaring
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Moto G TELUS/Koodo rooting update!

Phone: Koodo Moto G running Motorola Android 4.3
Computer OS: WinXP sp3.

I've been reading threads/discussions for a few days now, researching before I jumped into rooting my new Moto G. Finally I chose to use the first method outlined by @paulobrien here.

This gave me root but wouldn't allow for superuser installation for properly monitoring/regulating root access. I tried multiple times with different methods and still just couldn't get superuser to install. So I tried the second recommended method.

Everything seemed to be fine as I went down the list until I followed these instructions:

Code:
Run the command 'adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
I got nothing. Repeatedly. Whether I used native ADB or his packaged version. Finally, noticing that @paulobrien had earlier stated that Motorola had messed up their recovery and that menu items weren't what they seemed, I started to experiment. Here's what I found in the recovery menu:

Code:
wipe cache partition
Actually gives you the option to install zip files from the sdcard. Duh.

Whether Motorola are really kinda inept/rushed, or if it's meant to sorta discourage people from playing with the phone's innards is anyone's guess. Whatever the reason, I copied supersu.motog.zip from my r1-motog-modifiedrecoveryroot folder - kindly supplied by @paulobrien - and boom! I have a properly installed and functioning superuser.

Flintberg
Old
Thanks Meter 24
@ofaring Did you manage to flash CWM on Telus SW? I am unable to flash boot/recover/system that didn't come in Telus package, and I really need to. If I manage to flash CWM I can just flasch CyanogenMod and be done with it. Please help!

ofaring
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintberg View Post
@ofaring Did you manage to flash CWM on Telus SW? I am unable to flash boot/recover/system that didn't come in Telus package, and I really need to. If I manage to flash CWM I can just flasch CyanogenMod and be done with it. Please help!
Hi Flintberg,

Yes...and no. I haven't had the time to fully investigate the current situation yet. Short answer (all I have time for right now)...I have succeeded in getting CyanogenMod, rooting, and different stock ROMs running on Android 4.3. So far, I haven't been able to properly accomplish any of that on 4.4. (Except for rooting) Trouble is, the battery indicator is wildly inaccurate with CyanogenMod installed from stock Telus Android 4.3. The trouble seems to be in the recovery image, which isn't functioning correctly in 4.4. I have to run for now. More details later.