5,594,564 Members 32,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Custom kernel for better battery life ?

Tip us?

EL Sa7eR
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Custom kernel for better battery life ?

Hey guys ,
I am not getting that good battery as everyone. I am only getting about 4-5h on screen time not like the others 7-10 hours.
What can I do to get this awesome battery life ?
Are there any tweaks,mods that I have to apply ? Is there a custom kernel that is preferable ?

Bobbi lim
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Sa7eR View Post
Hey guys ,
I am not getting that good battery as everyone. I am only getting about 4-5h on screen time not like the others 7-10 hours.
Are there any tweaks,mods that I have to apply ? Is there a custom kernel that is preferable ?
Are you using a custom rom? If yes, which is it?
Have you tried disabling location settings in settings?
Have you untick location settings and remote wipe device in google play services?
Doi you have a high wakelock that's cauing the issue?

My Devices:

Galaxy 551 (sold)

HTC Desire (went back to stock)

HTC One X (ViperX 4.0.7)

Google Nexus 7 2013 (Stock)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi lim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

datallboy
Old
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Sa7eR View Post
Hey guys ,
I usually get 7-10+ hours, but I also keep mine on a wireless charger if I'm sitting at my desk or if I'm away and don't need it. Here's my setup that may help your battery life:

Location Settings: Battery Saving, this especially helps on stock ROM
Kernel: ElementalX 2.6: Overclocked to 1.8 GHz and undervolted on lower frequencies with elementalx governor. Cool thermal throttling, max screen off frequency is 1.026 GHz. GPU overclock to 450 MHz, ondemand.

If your screen brightness is up over 50% it's wasting a lot of power. I keep mine around 20-25% or on Auto.

When the screen is turned off it doesn't drain too much either. Overnight, 6-7 hrs, drains maybe only 5%. I'm going on 14 hrs battery with only a little bit of charging from the wireless qi charger.

Attatched is a screenshot of battery stats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-28-10-52-31.png
Views:	88
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2605835  
Tablets

8GB Nook Tablet (Retired): Nexus 7 FHD 2013:
  • ROM: Rooted Stock
  • Kernel ElementalX 2.7
  • Build: KOT49H

Phones

Nexus 5:
  • ROM: Rooted Stock
  • Kernel ElementalX 0.34
  • Build: KOT49H

Email: datallboy@gmail.com
The Following User Says Thank You to datallboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EL Sa7eR
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi lim View Post
Are you using a custom rom? If yes, which is it?
Have you tried disabling location settings in settings?
Have you untick location settings and remote wipe device in google play services?
Doi you have a high wakelock that's cauing the issue?
I am on the stock rom ,
for the location services it's set to battery mode.
I don't have that high lock but after a 18-24 hour I got one or two hour of CPU total at Android System - Android OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by datallboy View Post
I usually get 7-10+ hours, but I also keep mine on a wireless charger if I'm sitting at my desk or if I'm away and don't need it. Here's my setup that may help your battery life:

Location Settings: Battery Saving, this especially helps on stock ROM
Kernel: ElementalX 2.6: Overclocked to 1.8 GHz and undervolted on lower frequencies with elementalx governor. Cool thermal throttling, max screen off frequency is 1.026 GHz. GPU overclock to 450 MHz, ondemand.

If your screen brightness is up over 50% it's wasting a lot of power. I keep mine around 20-25% or on Auto.

When the screen is turned off it doesn't drain too much either. Overnight, 6-7 hrs, drains maybe only 5%. I'm going on 14 hrs battery with only a little bit of charging from the wireless qi charger.

Attatched is a screenshot of battery stats.
Thank you.
I have already put the Location Settings on Battery saving mode & I have changed the kernel as you mentioned but without overclocking the CPU the screen is always on Auto.