Thread Deleted

[Q] Please help with "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" error message

OP downrange914

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
28th February 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hi all - I was wondering if someone could assist in diagnosing the reason for the message "Unfortunately, Setting has stopped" error message that I intermittently get when I go into the Settings->App menu on my Asus Padfone2.

It's running Android 4.1.1 and the stock version of ROM v10.4.17.7

Unfortunately I've got a lot of apps and data on my phone which will mean that a lot of work will be required if I restore factory settings and reconfigure, so am doing everything I can to try and localise and fix the fault before resorting to a factory reset.

Unfortunately I'm not able to pinpoint the exact time it happened, otherwise a good starting point would be to undo what I did just before that point ! However it looks as if the Settings->Apps "crash" happens more frequently if I go into the "Language & Input" part of Settings, and I therefore believe it to be related to the test installation of the Google Keyboard that I did, and how it interacted with TouchPal X (another keyboard) which I had loaded at that time, however uninstalling both of the applications and power cycling did not resolve this issue.

I've also checked the logcat logs, and unfortunately, there's no exact match for the message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped", however there appears to be several matches against "settings", one of which is as follows :

"[ 02-27 23:55:51.509 28773:29176 E/AndroidRuntime ]

FATAL EXCEPTION: pool-1-thread-1

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError"

Is this the likely culprit ? I've had a look at the remaining part of this message and it doesn't shed any light on what is causing this error message so not sure where to go next.

I've tried clearing the cache and data from the stock Android & Asus keyboard app (from Settings->Apps->All), however this has had no effect.

I've also seen an option on the recovery menu of clearing the cache, but not sure what this encompasses so am a bit reticent to do this without knowing exactly what it does ...

Would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has.

Many thanks
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread