Got this for $176, worth it?

Search This thread

eriol33

Sep 9, 2012
hi there. I just won an auction of Asus Tf 101 (with the dock) about 199 NZD (163 USD) with the shipping fee, my total is 176 USD. do you think the price worth it? previously I have bought some crappy android tablets, and this is my first bought something from famous brand. I mainly will use this to read books, comics, maybe watching movies and playing games, but these are not really priority.

Do you think that price is justified? I'm currently living in new zealand, the electronic price here is ridiculously expensive, and the newest one is still priced 400-500+ USD. which is insane since this machine was released 3 years ago. I actually wanted to buy lenovo s6000, but unfortunately they don't sell it in new zealand, and the price is exceeding my budget.

since I probably will use this tablet for 3-4 years, my questions are:

1. is there any way I can replace the battery? (I never bought any hi-end tablet because most of their batteries are not easily replaceable)
2. is it still good for current gaming? not that I like tablet gaming though, but it would be nice if this tablet can play popular 3d games in android
3. for you who have used it for years, can it replace word processing in laptop? is it comfortable to edit documents in this tablet?
4. do I need to put screen protector or it's okay to leave as it is since it's use gorilla glass?

Last edited:

zAlbee

May 6, 2012
Toronto
zalbee.intricus.net
hi there. I just won an auction of Asus Tf 101 (with the dock) about 199 NZD (163 USD) with the shipping fee, my total is 176 USD. do you think the price worth it? previously I have bought some crappy android tablets, and this is my first bought something from famous brand. I mainly will use this to read books, comics, maybe watching movies and playing games, but these are not really priority.

Do you think that price is justified? I'm currently living in new zealand, the electronic price here is ridiculously expensive, and the newest one is still priced 400-500+ USD. which is insane since this machine was released 3 years ago. I actually wanted to buy lenovo s6000, but unfortunately they don't sell it in new zealand, and the price is exceeding my budget.

1. is there any way I can replace the battery? (I never bought any hi-end tablet because most of their batteries are not easily replaceable)
2. is it still good for current gaming? not that I like tablet gaming though, but it would be nice if this tablet can play popular 3d games in android
3. for you who have used it for years, can it replace word processing in laptop? is it comfortable to edit documents in this tablet?
4. do I need to put screen protector or it's okay to leave as it is since it's use gorilla glass?

1. Yes, but you shouldn't need to since the battery life of the tablet is very good (especially with dock). You need a Torx screwdriver (I forget the exact size) to open up the tablet to get to the battery.
2. It's OK, but not very good for newer 3D games. But this is Android, not a PC. The best games aren't 3D.
3. No. Document writing sucks.
4. No need. Gorilla glass is great. But it is very glossy and is a grease/fingerprint magnet. If you want a protector, I'd get a matte one.

Enjoy your new toy. Flash KatKiss (4.3 or 4.4) on it and you should be happy for a while.

Reactions: eriol33

eriol33

Sep 9, 2012
1. Yes, but you shouldn't need to since the battery life of the tablet is very good (especially with dock). You need a Torx screwdriver (I forget the exact size) to open up the tablet to get to the battery.
2. It's OK, but not very good for newer 3D games. But this is Android, not a PC. The best games aren't 3D.
4. No need. Gorilla glass is great. But it is very glossy and is a grease/fingerprint magnet. If you want a protector, I'd get a matte one.

Enjoy your new toy. Flash KatKiss (4.3 or 4.4) on it and you should be happy for a while.

thanks for your reply, my tablet will come in few days. I'm so excited to try it.

also just wondering, is it recommended to dual boot ubuntu touch / android? I have seen some people do that, it looks amazing.

doucettom

Apr 14, 2011
I bought mine when it was released and still using it. I also own an Iconia A100 (7")

I used the Iconia for bed reading with Kindle app but use the TF100 for web browsing and taking notes in meetings, it still runs great with 4.4 Kitkat ROM mentionned in an earlier post.

eriol33

Sep 9, 2012
my tablet just arrived today. it looked fantastic, wow. I guess I will root and install a custom rom later. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.