Post Reply

[Q] Haven't ever been able to upgrade firmware on Note 3 since purchase - what's up?

OP pipohippo

1st March 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hola,

Got my Note 3 a while back, and I'm getting itchy firmware fingers!

Maybe I'm being stupid - but so far I haven't had any luck in 'automatically' finding updated firmwares - still sitting on the MHN one that was installed when I bought the phone back on November.

Am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to root to be able to update the firmware? KIES says I'm on the latest... Not a network locked phone - have used t-mob, orange and currently a 3 sim.

Halp!

4th March 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hup we go!

No updates have ever come through either OTA or KIES... why me!
4th March 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #3  
Er. Aditya's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag BraveFort
Thanks Meter: 306
 
634 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipohippo

Hup we go!

No updates have ever come through either OTA or KIES... why me!

mate why dont you update via pc odin then ? and you dont need root to upgrade via kies

here try this for guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...guide-t1671969

get your firmware from here

http://www.samfirmware.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Er. Aditya For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 320
 
1,117 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipohippo

Hup we go!

No updates have ever come through either OTA or KIES... why me!


Maybe you should post more details - for instance what version of Note 3 do you have (ideally you want to know the original code, something like N9005ZWE or N9005ZKEBTU, which identifies a N9005 for UK) and what firmware are you right now. And eventually what have you asked when originally asked about the country where you are (for the license agreement). If the combinations above get very weird you also need to know your effective CSC, but that could be a longer shot.
Last edited by xclub_101; 4th March 2014 at 06:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xclub_101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Thanks for the responses guys - I assumed Odin also required rooting, so I will have a proper look! Good questions to ask as well, so just for reference, phone is the following:

Product Code SM-N9005ZKEBTU
Bootloader Version N9005XXUBMHN
Baseband Version N9005XXUBMHN
Android Version 4.3 (whatever came out of the box)
6th March 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #6  
Er. Aditya's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag BraveFort
Thanks Meter: 306
 
634 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipohippo

Thanks for the responses guys - I assumed Odin also required rooting, so I will have a proper look! Good questions to ask as well, so just for reference, phone is the following:

Product Code SM-N9005ZKEBTU
Bootloader Version N9005XXUBMHN
Baseband Version N9005XXUBMHN
Android Version 4.3 (whatever came out of the box)

No my friend as I said before updating via odi n dsnt require root... great now you can just download 4.4.2 firmware for your note 3 and update

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
6th March 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 320
 
1,117 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipohippo

Thanks for the responses guys - I assumed Odin also required rooting, so I will have a proper look! Good questions to ask as well, so just for reference, phone is the following:

Product Code SM-N9005ZKEBTU
Bootloader Version N9005XXUBMHN
Baseband Version N9005XXUBMHN
Android Version 4.3 (whatever came out of the box)


N9005ZKEBTU seems to be be EU-British unlocked N9005 - I would assume that you also picked UK when asked about the license agreement.

N9005XXUBMHN is a very interesting version of the firmware that is not even listed here:

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=BTU#firmware

You seem to have a fairly recent firmware and for the moment there is no 4.4.2 version of the BTU sub-region.
6th March 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Thumbs up
I am guessing that the firmware is actually way old, so it's not listed! Assuming the firmwares are in alphabetical order!

MHx < MJx

All UK aye - good to know that the phone is actually unlocked though I'll have a look on SamMobile and grab a nice 4.3 firmware - not ready for KitKat yet!


Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101

N9005ZKEBTU seems to be be EU-British unlocked N9005 - I would assume that you also picked UK when asked about the license agreement.

N9005XXUBMHN is a very interesting version of the firmware that is not even listed here:

-

You seem to have a fairly recent firmware and for the moment there is no 4.4.2 version of the BTU sub-region.

6th March 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 320
 
1,117 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipohippo

I am guessing that the firmware is actually way old, so it's not listed! Assuming the firmwares are in alphabetical order!

MHx < MJx

All UK aye - good to know that the phone is actually unlocked though I'll have a look on SamMobile and grab a nice 4.3 firmware - not ready for KitKat yet!


Hmm, for some reason I was thinking MK instead of MH, indeed your firmware is unusual! But please be aware that those old firmware versions are the only ones that can be safely rooted without triggering the knox warranty flag. Which reminds me - if you go to download mode do you see any reference to knox?
6th March 2014, 06:41 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Angry
Knox Kernal Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0

I am guessing that is kind of good right?

final clarification - rooting has the possibility of triggering knox warranty shizzle, but just doing a 'standard' firmware update (even via odin) should keep things fine right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101

Hmm, for some reason I was thinking MK instead of MH, indeed your firmware is unusual! But please be aware that those old firmware versions are the only ones that can be safely rooted without triggering the knox warranty flag. Which reminds me - if you go to download mode do you see any reference to knox?


Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank