FORUMS

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more

XPrivacy for Android Lollipop – XDA Xposed Tuesday

Have you ever been on the Google Play Store and saw an app that you wanted to … more

How a HTC Droid Eris Changed a Members Life

Rarely can a member say that Android development or XDA had a profound effect on … more

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Need advice resetting to stock 4.2.2

26th February 2014, 03:26 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
I'm planning on upgrading to another phone so I'm trying to get this counter on my phone reset to 0, then unrooting.

Right now I am on the latest version of Insanity ROM Android 4.3 MK2 Baseband .

I tried resetting the counter using TriangleAway earlier, but I noticed I needed to be on a stock Samsung kernel.

So I found one (and this same thing happened when I tried to flash a stock rooted ROM with MDL) on XDA directly for the T-Mobile S4, only to find out that after flashing, it wouldn't get past the black screen after the SGS4 logo comes on.

Luckily, I restored back

I know how to unroot and everything I just want to ask before I do this,. Can I go ahead on using Triangle Away on my current rom? And then do the unrooting process?
 
 
26th February 2014, 04:09 AM |#2  
mrzhadow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 522
 
Donate to Me
More
If you took the OTA 4.3 you are Sol. If you still have the MDL bootloader you can Odin the MDL stock image then root and triangle away and then unroot. You will be good to go then.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrzhadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 06:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow

If you took the OTA 4.3 you are Sol. If you still have the MDL bootloader you can Odin the MDL stock image then root and triangle away and then unroot. You will be good to go then.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

No, I never had it updated when I bought it from Tmo as Android 4.2.2 . So you're saying with even with the current custom 4.3 Android & custom kernel that I have right now I can Odin the MDL? (Unroot, Root, TriangleAway, unroot?)
26th February 2014, 07:10 AM |#4  
mrzhadow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 522
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurgreeeen

No, I never had it updated when I bought it from Tmo as Android 4.2.2 . So you're saying with even with the current custom 4.3 Android & custom kernel that I have right now I can Odin the MDL? (Unroot, Root, TriangleAway, unroot?)

Yes. If you never took the OTA and only flashed the mk2 modem you can absolutely Odin the stock MDL ROM and root, triangle away then unroot (in that order) You'll be good to go then. Just make sure you're binary found is at 0 by booting into download mode when you're done.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow

Yes. If you never took the OTA and only flashed the mk2 modem you can absolutely Odin the stock MDL ROM and root, triangle away then unroot (in that order) You'll be good to go then. Just make sure you're binary count is at 0 by booting into download mode when you're done.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app



Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrzhadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2014, 09:35 PM |#5  
subnoize soulja's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ormond Beach
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
I'm having the same problem when I got my s4 I didn't know anything about Knox or all the other headaches that come with rooting this phone!! But me being me as soon as I opened the phone I updated it to 4.3 then rooted it not knowing I wouldnt be able to return to stock! Even tho I did backup my stock rooted phone my phone will not let me restore to it so I've been stuck on beanstalk 4.4 but really want to go back to stock rooted cause of the camera!! Haha.... I'm new to the s4 so I'm still learning more about it I had an s2 before this and that was all cake walk flashing and what not. I just want to know if Odin is an option for me to return to stock or not?? I think I backed it up through lies before ota 4.3
1st March 2014, 12:22 AM |#6  
mrzhadow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 522
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm having the same problem when I got my s4 I didn't know anything about Knox or all the other headaches that come with rooting this phone!! But me being me as soon as I opened the phone I updated it to 4.3 then rooted it not knowing I wouldnt be able to return to stock! Even tho I did backup my stock rooted phone my phone will not let me restore to it so I've been stuck on beanstalk 4.4 but really want to go back to stock rooted cause of the camera!! Haha.... I'm new to the s4 so I'm still learning more about it I had an s2 before this and that was all cake walk flashing and what not. I just want to know if Odin is an option for me to return to stock or not?? I think I backed it up through lies before ota 4.3

From what I've read in other threads you cannot downgrade bootloaders so if you took th OTA you can't go back to 4.2. From what I understand it will brick your phone. If you are already 4.3 and rooted you have already voided your warranty. You may as well Odin the stock 4.3 and root again so you can flash other Roms since you are stuck on 4.4.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes