Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,839 Members 47,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Performed factory reset, now won't boot

Tip us?

kram12085
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Performed factory reset, now won't boot

I'm selling my HTC One (stock ROM, unlocked) so I wanted to wipe my data, apps and settings. I performed a factory reset/data wipe in CWM and rebooted and it would get stuck at the Verizon logo. I cleared cache, tried again, and got stuck at "Android is updating, Starting apps" for a good 20 minutes. Now it goes back to the Verizon logo.

Does the factory reset not leave the ROM intact? What can I do now just so it'll boot to a clean slate?

NotATreoFan
Old
Moderator Committee Developer Committee
Thanks Meter 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram12085 View Post
I'm selling my HTC One (stock ROM, unlocked) so I wanted to wipe my data, apps and settings. I performed a factory reset/data wipe in CWM and rebooted and it would get stuck at the Verizon logo. I cleared cache, tried again, and got stuck at "Android is updating, Starting apps" for a good 20 minutes. Now it goes back to the Verizon logo.

Does the factory reset not leave the ROM intact? What can I do now just so it'll boot to a clean slate?
Download the stock rooted odexed ROM from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485319
After you flash it, wipe data and boot up.
Then flash the latest firmware and stock recovery through Fastboot (also that thread), and do another factory wipe using stock recovery.
Your S-Off / Unlocked status will not be affected by this.

Contact the Moderator Committee with any questions or concerns regarding forum moderation.

Please MENTION me if you require semi-prompt assistance. I may not see posts for several hours.

Twitter | Portal | Forum Moderator List
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotATreoFan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kram12085
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotATreoFan View Post
Download the stock rooted odexed ROM from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485319
After you flash it, wipe data and boot up.
Then flash the latest firmware and stock recovery through Fastboot (also that thread), and do another factory wipe using stock recovery.
Your S-Off / Unlocked status will not be affected by this.
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I've been at it for a good 5 hours now and I can't get past the first step.

Using TWRP, I've tried adb push <rom.zip> to /sdcard/, /mnt/sdcard/ and /data/media/ and every time it says it's successful, but the directories show up empty in TWRP. Without a removable SD card, I'm not sure how else I can get the ROM on the phone for flashing. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but everytime I reboot from TWRP, it says my phone isn't rooted. I select "Install" but it occurs again, even though supersu.apk is on the internal storage.

I also tried CWM but couldn't get past "format () expected 5 args, got 4. Installation aborted (Status 7)".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get TWRP to flash the ROM? Thanks.

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 921

DONATE TO ME
Try this cmd instead.
Code:
adb push nameofrom.zip /data/media/0/nameofrom.zip
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET
The Following User Says Thank You to cmlusco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NotATreoFan
Old
Thanks Meter 4605
Quote:
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I've been at it for a good 5 hours now and I can't get past the first step.

Using TWRP, I've tried adb push <rom.zip> to /sdcard/, /mnt/sdcard/ and /data/media/ and every time it says it's successful, but the directories show up empty in TWRP. Without a removable SD card, I'm not sure how else I can get the ROM on the phone for flashing. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but everytime I reboot from TWRP, it says my phone isn't rooted. I select "Install" but it occurs again, even though supersu.apk is on the internal storage.

I also tried CWM but couldn't get past "format () expected 5 args, got 4. Installation aborted (Status 7)".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get TWRP to flash the ROM? Thanks.
I recently returned my phone to stock in order to reset all the firmware and RIL data. Here is how I did it:
  • Enter recovery TWRP 2.6.3.4 (if you have 2.6.3.3 you may experience issues)
  • Boot into recovery, then format Data, System, Cache, and Internal Storage (this will leave the phone with NO ROM installed)
  • Reboot back into recovery. Answer No to the prompt to root your device.
  • Once back in recovery, Internal Memory will be available again (if you push the ROM before rebooting, it will not be there afterward)
  • Push the ROM using adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/ROM.zip (this will take 5-7 minutes for a 1.4GB file)
  • Flash the ROM in TWRP
  • Reboot when done, phone should boot up corrrectly
  • Reboot into Fastboot, push firmware.zip package
  • Reboot into ROM verify connectivity
  • Reboot into Fastboot, push stock recovery
  • Reboot into stock recovery, perform a Factory Reset
  • Boot into ROM

Once you are up and running on the latest 4.4.2 ROM with stock recovery, boot into Fastboot one last time and push TWRP 2.6.3.4. Your S-Off will not be affected and the new owner will be able to flash any ROMs they like.

If all of the above fails, then try using ADB Sideload from the Advanced menu in TWRP.

Contact the Moderator Committee with any questions or concerns regarding forum moderation.

Please MENTION me if you require semi-prompt assistance. I may not see posts for several hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to NotATreoFan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kram12085
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
You guys are a life saver. TWRP 2.6.3.4 did the trick, it just wasn't available on the TWRP site so I didn't install it in the first place. Flashed the ROM and everything back to normal! Thanks for the help!

FWIW, none of the m7 versions of TWRP would load (stuck at "Entering Bootloader" screen). The Sprint version would load, but wouldn't mount the filesystem properly.

NotATreoFan
Old
Thanks Meter 4605
Quote:
You guys are a life saver. TWRP 2.6.3.4 did the trick, it just wasn't available on the TWRP site so I didn't install it in the first place. Flashed the ROM and everything back to normal! Thanks for the help!

FWIW, none of the m7 versions of TWRP would load (stuck at "Entering Bootloader" screen). The Sprint version would load, but wouldn't mount the filesystem properly.
So what state is the phone in now? Stock w/ HTC recovery, or the Sprint TWRP?

kram12085
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotATreoFan View Post
So what state is the phone in now? Stock w/ HTC recovery, or the Sprint TWRP?
The former, stock. The Sprint TWRP loaded but didn't work right. I ended up finding 2.6.3.4 for VZW m7 on an xda thread, it's not on the TWRP site for some reason. That worked great.

NotATreoFan
Old
Thanks Meter 4605
Quote:
The former, stock. The Sprint TWRP loaded but didn't work right. I ended up finding 2.6.3.4 for VZW m7 on an xda thread, it's not on the TWRP site for some reason. That worked great.
Excellent. Glad to see it all worked out.