XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Voice/Data Help Overseas

Tip us?

hwplivnlow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Voice/Data Help Overseas

I need help with getting my phone's voice and/or data to work on a school trip to Europe (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and London to be exact) - or I need someone to tell me it can't be done. If there is a specific thread I should follow, let me know.

Trust me when I say I have looked for threads that pertain to what I need and have researched and followed them extensively. I took a trip last year to Athens, Florence, and Rome, and I had spent the month before prepping my phone to work using forums on XDA. For some reason (I probably did something wrong) when I arrived at an airport in Frankfurt and tried to get my phone to connect to any networks, it wouldn't work. So I need help for my case specifically because once I'm 6,000 miles away I cannot modify my phone anymore.

I live in the US. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, unlimited data (grandfathered), 700 minutes shared, unlimited messaging, etc. I know that the S4 works with GSM networks with a correct SIM card. I will be travelling to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and London so I need those specific APN settings (if I need them at all.)

Thanks for reading!

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwplivnlow View Post
I need help with getting my phone's voice and/or data to work on a school trip to Europe (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and London to be exact) - or I need someone to tell me it can't be done. If there is a specific thread I should follow, let me know.

Trust me when I say I have looked for threads that pertain to what I need and have researched and followed them extensively. I took a trip last year to Athens, Florence, and Rome, and I had spent the month before prepping my phone to work using forums on XDA. For some reason (I probably did something wrong) when I arrived at an airport in Frankfurt and tried to get my phone to connect to any networks, it wouldn't work. So I need help for my case specifically because once I'm 6,000 miles away I cannot modify my phone anymore.

I live in the US. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, unlimited data (grandfathered), 700 minutes shared, unlimited messaging, etc. I know that the S4 works with GSM networks with a correct SIM card. I will be travelling to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and London so I need those specific APN settings (if I need them at all.)

Thanks for reading!
the carriers who give u the sim card are supposed to tell you the apn's, that's all you have to input when getting a new sim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: VERIZON
  • DEVICE: HTC ONE MAX
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7
  • ROM: NUSENSE SIX
  • KERNEL: CLEANKERNEL
  • LAUNCHER: TSF SHELL
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
  • CASE: POWER FLIP
  • HACKS: LIFETIME FREE PIZZA DELIVERY

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1237

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwplivnlow View Post

Thanks for reading!
OK, so you're going to be in the UK. That's where I'm going in a couple of weeks. When I get back I'll be able to say how well the GS4 works.

I use a SIM from ekit (Jersey Telecom) - www.ekit.com - which worked great for me with my previous Droid Incredible 2. Prepaid, with the easy ability to recharge using a credit card.

It is vitally important that you do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take your Verizon phone to Europe and start using it. $20.48 per megabyte. $2,048 per gig. Verizon loves to see you take your phone outside the US. Check your gmail once? That'll be $100.

I'm going to use my ekit SIM in March with my i545 and see how it goes, but I don't expect any problems. Swap the SIM, enter the APN, and it just works. Maybe just 3G, but I'm just using it between Wifi and for phone calls, so it doesn't much matter how fast the data is. The S4 has enough GSM band coverage that it should work fine.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1