Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What ROM will get me back to stock, but not lock my bootloader.

Tip us?

Pompsy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] What ROM will get me back to stock, but not lock my bootloader.

So the power button on my phone is working intermittently and I took it to Bestbuy for them to replace it with my insurance. The dude there wanted to wipe and do a factory reset on my phone, because it was part of the procedure they had to do. (Why they do this, I have no idea,) This had never happened to me before, so I didn't backup my phone and flash back to stock like I usually do if I have to get a phone serviced. I told him I would back it up at home, and be back another day.

So basically what I need is a ROM for the Galaxy S3 that is as close to stock as possible so this dude can reset my phone (for no reason)? This ROM needs to be able to stand up to a little scrutiny from a Geeksquad employee.I would just flash back to stock 4.3, but that will lock my bootloader. I need a stock 4.3 ROM that doesn't lock bootloader, and will reset the "Verizon way".
Devices
Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw) -Jelly Beans Build 5

Former Devices
HTC Droid Incredible
LG Ally

flyestAC
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Just odining to stock won't lock your bootloader. You'd have to actually download and install the update. But if you're getting a replacement why do you care? You're not going to have the phone any longer anyway. But just as an FYI, if you do replace your phone, chances are you'll get one with the updated firmware and a locked bootloader.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Pompsy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I don't think I will get an update phone, as I had a cracked screen in mid January and received a phone on 4.1.2

I'm having of a hell time getting into download mode as well. For some reason after I go to download mode, the screen goes away after a few seconds.
Devices
Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw) -Jelly Beans Build 5

Former Devices
HTC Droid Incredible
LG Ally

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 636
To do a factory reset the "Verizon way" you need a stock recovery. If you really want to, load cleanrom 8, then use ez-recovery to flash the stock recovery to the phone. But if you have to turn it in to get a new phone you might have to Odin back to stock anyway, and could get in trouble having a custom rom loaded.

They can do a factory reset through the stock recovery and probably won't notice you're custom, and you won't have to worry about it updating to 4.3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

samsgun357
Old
Thanks Meter 1377
Don't get a new s3. Most likely it'll come preloaded with 4.3 and you'll be stuck on TW ROMs only.

Watch, as I combine all the juice from my mind...

twistedillutions
Old
Thanks Meter 200
If vzw store has some of the older s3 it wnt come preloaded but will load wen u set up. So u might be lucky and get a 4.1 or 4.2 s3

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk
AWESOME POSSOM

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more