Ask a question

No registration required

Asurion Replacements?

OP PIYIRIO

24th February 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

27 posts
Has anyone had to get a replacement recently? I haven't seen a post or discussion on this recently and Google only brings up the 2012 shortage. Just wondering if they are sending S3's or switching devices on folks. If they are sending S3's, are they coming with the 4.3 locked bootloader and Knox. If so does anyone want to buy a refurb S3?

I can count on one hand how few times I've dropped my S3 since I got preordered it. I dropped it in the grass in my yard, face down with the extended battery, and the screen shattered. UGH!
25th February 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 806

1,594 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIYIRIO

Has anyone had to get a replacement recently? I haven't seen a post or discussion on this recently and Google only brings up the 2012 shortage. Just wondering if they are sending S3's or switching devices on folks. If they are sending S3's, are they coming with the 4.3 locked bootloader and Knox. If so does anyone want to buy a refurb S3?

I can count on one hand how few times I've dropped my S3 since I got preordered it. I dropped it in the grass in my yard, face down with the extended battery, and the screen shattered. UGH!

I've seen a few people who said they got a replacement. Only 1 said it came with 4.1.2 and the rest came with 4.3. I'd guess you'd probably end up with a locked bootloader.

Maybe you can call asurion and ask them to ship you one with 4.1.2.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
25th February 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 28

425 posts
I ended up with a locked replacement sadly after my s3 died two weeks ago

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
25th February 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 24

78 posts
After upgrading to 4.3 and its horrible battery life, I went and complained to my local Verizon store, and they put in a request for a free (yes, no deductible) replacement and it came with the MB1 firmware!! Instantly rooted and froze SDM

And this was within the last 3 weeks
The Following User Says Thank You to yepyep14u2know For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Dang... Sounds like my only hope is that the local store doesn't suck. Either that or that someone eventually figures a way around the bootloader. I know there's the bootstrap method but I've had pretty miserable luck with bootstraps soft bricking.

Guess I'll look into the HTC One, their latest update to lock it down hasn't been pushing very long. Any mention of the S5 having Knox?
25th February 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 159

899 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIYIRIO

Dang... Sounds like my only hope is that the local store doesn't suck. Either that or that someone eventually figures a way around the bootloader. I know there's the bootstrap method but I've had pretty miserable luck with bootstraps soft bricking.

Guess I'll look into the HTC One, their latest update to lock it down hasn't been pushing very long. Any mention of the S5 having Knox?

I had a Rezound, got a replacement that was the SGS3. 4.3, locked bootloader. If they are replacing other devices with SGS3s... they have to have some of them, eh?
28th February 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumrabbit

I had a Rezound, got a replacement that was the SGS3. 4.3, locked bootloader. If they are replacing other devices with SGS3s... they have to have some of them, eh?

It turns out that if you have a white 32GB GS3, they are out of stock. Your picks are a 32GB pebble blue GS3 or a 32GB white GS4. I guess it really doesn't matter since the bootloader would have been locked down anyways. I wasn't ever impressed with the GS4 but maybe I'll be able to sell it easier than an S3. I'm done with commercial Samsung devices, especially with this Knox crap. I'll be sticking to Nexus or GPE devices.
1st March 2014, 04:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 21

118 posts
Donate to Me
More
I got a replacement and mine was 4.1.2, I was really happy it didn't have 4.3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
1st March 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikedone

I got a replacement and mine was 4.1.2, I was really happy it didn't have 4.3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

S3 or S4 and how long ago? Maybe I screwed up going with the S4.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread